+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4625Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    It's such an impossible situation to be in. I pray she has the strength. Every day is so precious. I try to keep that in mind when I stress over trivial matters.
    I agree, I try and keep this in mind. For some reason her diagnosis hit me hard. I guess it was because she looked so good on Jeff's show
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Chemo does affect everyone differently. Some people tolerate it relatively well. Plus, there are anti-nausea drugs and other drugs that can lessen the side effects. I have a close friend who was just tired during chemo and had very few other symptoms. I wouldn't want to be in agony either, but that's not always the choice (a shorter life vs. a longer, more painful one).

I can't say that I'd choose a shorter life if I got the diagnosis that Valerie did. I'd want to fight, even if I knew I couldn't be cured. I just hope her last days are as happy and pain-free as possible.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    Yep, sometimes the chemo will take you out even sooner if it doesn't really work the way they hope because it so greatly weakens your system.
    That's very true.

She's in a "damned if she does, damned if she doesn't" situation.

I can't even begin to imagine.

Sure, I'd want to try to hang on.

But, knowing chemo might very well make me even sicker (to the point where I'm laid out and can't even begin to function as normally as possible, anymore) and just might cause me to go out sooner . . .

My God.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I remember when I went through chemo, I told people, "If it ever comes back, I'm not having chemo again." - it was that bad. But like childbirth, the exact horror of it fades away and I'm sure I'd do it again if I had to. I've had 8 good, healthy years since then and have a much healthier diet and lifestyle than before, so it was a blessing in disguise. Good luck to Valerie. She was always my favorite from the Mary Tyler Moore Show.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    That's very true.

She's in a "damned if she does, damned if she doesn't" situation.

I can't even begin to imagine.

Sure, I'd want to try to hang on.

But, knowing chemo might very well make me even sicker (to the point where I'm laid out and can't even begin to function as normally as possible, anymore) and just might cause me to go out sooner . . .

My God.
    I think its up to the individual.They gave her 3 months, I think they are pretty sure on that diagnosis.

My father had liver cancer, the first time he went through chemo and surgery, but when it returned 2 years later, he said no way. He had nearly a year, of pretty much doing what he wanted, with no chemo, just some drugs. I guess I would have to wait and see what my options were.I would take quality time - I am pretty sure of that. I am sending her such good thoughts, bless her.
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

To chemo or not to chemo.....such individual decisions. I don't think we know what we'll do until we are really faced with the options in our own lives. People who say they wouldn't undergo chemo may, well, change their minds should the time come. There's nothing wrong with either decision; whichever way they go, people will need your support. There is nothing simple about it.
    NCLurker likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

"...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I just heard about Kelly..Boy there's a lot of negative energy around that family.
    -Andy Rooney-

That's scary. I hope she is okay.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I think its up to the individual.They gave her 3 months, I think they are pretty sure on that diagnosis.

My father had liver cancer, the first time he went through chemo and surgery, but when it returned 2 years later, he said no way. He had nearly a year, of pretty much doing what he wanted, with no chemo, just some drugs. I guess I would have to wait and see what my options were.I would take quality time - I am pretty sure of that. I am sending her such good thoughts, bless her.
    FM, I am so glad that your father had almost a year of doing what he wanted. He'd been on the other side of the fence and was able to therefore make what was, for him, an informed decision.

In my aunts' cases, when the first one found out she had it (breast and lung), the doctor said there was no point to trying chemo, because she had only two weeks left.

Exactly two weeks to the day later, she was gone.

The second was diagnosed (pancreatic). The doctor gave her the no-holds-barred chemo pros and cons, then told her to consider what she wanted to do, let him know, and they'd go from whatever her decision was, together.

She opted to NOT have the chemo and was gone three months later.

I tend to think it's like shay says: We DON'T know which path we'll select for ourselves.

If I ever got that news, I know I'd want the extra time. But I'd also wonder about the unknown of dealing with the chemo side effects, and if doing that'd be worth it to me to try it.

My prayers are with Valerie now, and all of us that have been touched directly or indirectly by cancer.
    Dragonlady likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread