+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4601Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I honestly sincerely doubt that most adults who saw Oscar Pistorius compete at the Olympics thought -- ‘Gosh, my hero’ -- and then proceeded to develop untouchable heroic shrines to him within their own minds so I actually find that whole concept pretty straw man-ish from that perspective. I do think that people can appreciate the inspirational nature of something, in and of itself, and apply adjectives, as such, while being fully cognizant that that adjective (or noun) may not apply on a deeper level. One of my favorite photos, for example, is the guy standing in front of the tanks in Tiananmen Square from 1989. I know nothing else about his life at all -- I just appreciate the inspirational nature of what that moment in time captures and conveys to me on a symbolic level.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I absolutely am not a sports person, but I did know that about him. And while his determination is impressive, it isn't really unusual - there are thousands of people in all walks of life getting by and even succeeding against those and even greater odds. Honestly, I'm more impressed by the wife and mother who manages her household, her kids and a job without having any arms, or prosthetics. The thing is, I have more respect for those who go to great lengths for the benefit of others than those who go to great lengths for the benefit of themselves.
    Thanks, Rattus. I totally get where you are coming from, here, from a broader philosophical perspective, and I agree that rising above your own self-interest for the benefit of others is not only more impressive than doing it in your own self-interest, it is probably the only path to living an authentically meaningful life for oneself.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

As the parent of a young athlete - the qualities you want them to admire are things like work ethic, drive, determination, and focus. Life skills that go beyond the sport or the game. A committed athlete understands what it takes to excel - and it goes way, way beyond any natural ability. It's not so much hero-worship as it is aspirational. And it doesn't necessarily have to be sports - there are all kinds of mentors and role models and they mean different things to different people.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I absolutely am not a sports person, but I did know that about him. And while his determination is impressive, it isn't really unusual - there are thousands of people in all walks of life getting by and even succeeding against those and even greater odds. Honestly, I'm more impressed by the wife and mother who manages her household, her kids and a job without having any arms, or prosthetics. The thing is, I have more respect for those who go to great lengths for the benefit of others than those who go to great lengths for the benefit of themselves.
    But none of them have competed in the "regular" Olympics....heck, not all that many (percentage-wise) have competed in the Paralympics. I don't think calling him a hero is inaccurate. As someone upthread said, it's not just about the fact that he's an athlete - it's about the fact that he's the FIRST double amputee to come back from the loss of limbs to become an Olympian, especially because it's a sport that requires the limbs he lost. That's a big deal.

It's a shame that his legacy has been marred. He was a great role model for so any young people. Even if he's acquitted, he's done. Even if it's proven that someone else killed her (which I don't think will happen), the previous abuse claims have tainted his good guy image.

There's been a huge uproar about the cover of The Sun:
    The Sun's Oscar Pistorius Front Page Called 'Disgusting,' 'Despicable' For Picture Of Reeva Steenkamp (PHOTO)

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Murdoch's name isn't synonymous with class, but I agree that the cover is tasteless. This beautiful young woman was murdered and they turned her into a cheesecake photo.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I totally missed it if someone mentioned Pistorius' specific challenges, earlier, but, now that I am aware of them, I understand why so many people are so moved by his accomplishments. I was specifically thinking about all the Iraq war amputees last night and that many of them have felt suicidal after losing their limbs. Some of those veterans are still in their early to mid-twenties and may have felt very inspired by Pistorius and it makes me very sad for them if they feel they have lost a role model. And calling athletes heroes is something I have worked hard to grow out of since childhood, but I definitely see how he could have been a role model to many.
    Last edited by chrisg; 02-15-2013 at 08:34 PM.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    As the parent of a young athlete - the qualities you want them to admire are things like work ethic, drive, determination, and focus. Life skills that go beyond the sport or the game. A committed athlete understands what it takes to excel - and it goes way, way beyond any natural ability. It's not so much hero-worship as it is aspirational. And it doesn't necessarily have to be sports - there are all kinds of mentors and role models and they mean different things to different people.
    As the mother of former athletes, year round in one sport & seasonal in others, I agree with you totally. You'd be shocked at the amount of time & work that goes into even being a stand out in your state, much less the country or world.
    Also, I disagree that athletes who show any promise are spoiled or pampered, or get a free ride in any way. There's a tremendous amount of time, work, money, and sacrifice that go into being even a moderately talented athlete. Both by the athlete themselves & by their family. They don't get things paid for or are taken care of until they reach the elite level. Even then life isn't easy for them, & they have already learned sacrifice & hard work to get there, & must continue to stay on top.
    Coco46 likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

To the Point

I actually try to label no one a hero. I think there are many people who at some point(s) may perform or take part in a heroic act, but giving anyone the label of "hero" is just too heavy a load to carry long term and is never accurate long term. There are plenty of really good people who live admirable lives and do much good for others but I see them as just that. There are some not so good people, or perhaps pretty bad people, who may have the capacity to do something heroic in a given circumstance. People will fail you. We are all fallible, inevitably hurt people, let people down, etc.. Granted some are better than others, some are worse, but we are all fallible.
    prhoshay and Hyper like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Totally agree. People need to be given room just to be people, warts and all.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I want to be Beyonce when I regress!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I loved the special on Beyonce. It was great to see her with Jay z they looked so cute singing together. I am still shocked by all the crazy people even after seeing her pregnant belly in the show question that she gave birth to her child. I laughed when they showed her at the hospital with rollers in her hair. I did the same thing,lol. Blue Ivy is such a cutie!
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I haven't seen the Beyonce special but saw a photo online of her and her daughter. Blue Ivy is definitely a clone of her daddy, albeit, a much, much cuter version.

+ Reply to Thread