+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4617Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I haven't really read any of the details about Oscar Pistorius and was completely unfamiliar with him prior to yesterday, so I was just kind of speaking in general terms.

And that's a bummer about the fight you had with your co-worker Rattus. Sometimes when people can't control one thing, they try and control something else but the bottom line is that athletes' behavior can't be controlled any more than it is possible to control kids idolizing them. Ultimately, there is a broad range of people in every walk of life and I would hope that it is a natural part of the maturation process to get that at one point or another -- and that is probably a good, constructive focus for any concerned parent or adult to have, to help kids in realizing that sooner rather than later. Oh, and tell your co-worker that I think Michael Phelps is a much better role model than Ryan Lochte if you want to stir up some more trouble .
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Thanks chris, but she has taken her easily offended self and retired and I now work with a guy who doesn't get offended by anything - my ideal co-worker .
    chrisg and JulieAnn like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I don't think hero worship because he's an athlete was the issue with Oscar Pistorius. I think it was more the inspirational character thing, and rightly so. He truly overcame his physical disabilities, not just learned to live with them, and went on to not only reach his goals but do something that the vast majority of able bodied people in the world could never come close to accomplish.
    This was truly rightfully inspirational to all, especially those with physical disabilities.

What he did (allegedly) wasn't just a misstep in judgment like the Michael Phelps instance. It was a lethal & fatal & violent crime that deliberately ended the life of another person.
    Every single one of us bears the responsibility not to do that.

Anyone & everyone, whether they know him personally or not, has the right to be appalled & disappointed in him. He put himself on the world-wide stage showing "look at me". Well, we did look, and are still looking now, but with a whole different attitude toward him.
    Ok, I need to learn not to smoke a bong pipe with Michael Phelps before logging onto FoRT -- or learn how to use Google -- because this post now fully makes sense to me, Miss Scarlet, since my boyfriend just told me that Oscar Pistorius is a double amputee. Embarrassingly, I actually was in London for the Olympics but spent most of my time scrounging around for corporate held tickets to events, so I vaguely remember him being talked about but his name never stayed with me at all and I never went to any of the track and field events. And Rattus isn't a sports person at all. Did you know that about Pistorius, Rattus?

It is a weird coincidence that I was talking generally about athletes overcoming adversity because that is a key trait for even an accomplished able bodied athlete. And, I guess, in either circumstance, it doesn't necessarily speak fully to character without looking deeper at other aspects of that individual's life. It is also pretty early to draw any conclusions with regard to guilt, but I definitely agree that it will be sad if the evidence concludes in that direction because it is particularly important for anyone who faces challenges to have positive role models.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    ...Oscar Pistorius is a double amputee. Embarrassingly, I actually was in London for the Olympics but spent most of my time scrounging around for corporate held tickets to events, so I vaguely remember him being talked about but his name never stayed with me at all and I never went to any of the track and field events. And Rattus isn't a sports person at all. Did you know that about Pistorius, Rattus?
    I absolutely am not a sports person, but I did know that about him. And while his determination is impressive, it isn't really unusual - there are thousands of people in all walks of life getting by and even succeeding against those and even greater odds. Honestly, I'm more impressed by the wife and mother who manages her household, her kids and a job without having any arms, or prosthetics. The thing is, I have more respect for those who go to great lengths for the benefit of others than those who go to great lengths for the benefit of themselves.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

I would not call Oscar a hero. He is an accomplished and skilled athelete. Sure seems he is guilty of the murder. OJ was an athlete though missing from this list, of course!

List of professional sportspeople convicted of crimes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Surprising how many athletes get involved with crime.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I've personally never got the idea of referring to athletes as hero either. Inspirational, yes in many cases. Hero, no.

A hero to me is the person who runs into a burning building to save a life, or a soldier bravely fighting a war. By no means is someone who slides a pick down the ice or dunks a basketball into a net, even comparable in that regard.

It's horrific that Oscar Pistorious took someone's life. My heart goes out to his girlfriend's family as well as his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ness likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I would not call Oscar a hero. He is an accomplished and skilled athelete. Sure seems he is guilty of the murder. OJ was an athlete though missing from this list, of course!

List of professional sportspeople convicted of crimes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Surprising how many athletes get involved with crime.
    Not so surprising if you consider the fact that these people are pampered from the moment they show any promise as an athlete. They seem to think they can get away with anything, anytime, any place.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I've personally never got the idea of referring to athletes as hero either. Inspirational, yes in many cases. Hero, no.

A hero to me is the person who runs into a burning building to save a life, or a soldier bravely fighting a war. By no means is someone who slides a pick down the ice or dunks a basketball into a net, even comparable in that regard.

It's horrific that Oscar Pistorious took someone's life. My heart goes out to his girlfriend's family as well as his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree, they are never my hero. I think he overcame so much, and did so well.That's something I do like to see. I hope he wasn't on steroids or something, doesn't that cause one to rage. ( sigh)
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I never heard of the guy until he was accused of doing his infamous deed.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I never heard of the guy until he was accused of doing his infamous deed.
    The blade runner, that's how I knew him .
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread