+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4598Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I am with you on that one! I don't know how sane you can be to return to somebody who has torn you up like that. It just makes no real sense.
    Not just that, because I get the "but I love him" and the abused woman syndrome. But he has repeatedly shown his "issues" and attitude to other people. The stories about him are notorious and he doesn't really appear to want to change. That is why I think she is not playing with a full deck. He is just not a nice person and everyone knows it. But I guess the same could be said of his fans.
    ness likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Aw, good for him! I love Steve Martin. I'm glad he's happy. I was so sad for him when his marriage to Victoria Tennant broke up. They always seemed like a perfect couple, but obviously they weren't.

As much as I know that abused women often go back multiple times to their abuser and I know that they absolutely do not deserve the abuse, if Chris Brown beats Rhianna again after all this, I'll admit I will have a hard time feeling any sympathy for her.

Maya Angelou is right: "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them."

That beating wasn't an isolated incident - it was part of a larger pattern. He's a nasty little rage monster, posting rants on Twitter, threatening people, starting fights and acting like a spoiled two-year old. It's only a matter of when he'll beat her again. I just hope he doesn't kill her the next time.
    This, exactly! Thank you for saying it better than I could, Critical!
    ness likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Not just that, because I get the "but I love him" and the abused woman syndrome. But he has repeatedly shown his "issues" and attitude to other people. The stories about him are notorious and he doesn't really appear to want to change. That is why I think she is not playing with a full deck. He is just not a nice person and everyone knows it. But I guess the same could be said of his fans.
    The whole "but I love him" is something I just never got, & probably never will. Do they love being beaten? Do they love being treated like that? Do they love their life in danger?
    Makes no sense at all to me.

Love was never in the equation for me. Financial dependance & personal shame of the stigma of divorce were the issue. That & fear of losing my children, home, and everything & everyone I felt was important to me.
    Sure, I knew the good side of the guy. But I also knew the other side. It kind of cancelled out the good with extra misery left over.
    I just kept telling myself "I can take it" "I'm strong enough to endure" in order to keep from upending my life & that of my children.
    DUMMY, DUMMY, DUMMY!!

That's why I just don't get Rhianna. She takes care of herself just fine & children aren't in the mix. I figure there must be some huge insecurity in her that is incomprehensible to me.
    prhoshay likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

As for Oscar Pistorius, it breaks my heart in so many ways. It's always such a shock when we find out a hero or inspirational character is something entirely opposite in real life.
    It's like the rug was just pulled out from under us & under it was garbage.

I saw Rhianna as a guest judge on The X Factor and she acted so odd. She seemed to have zero social skills. I couldn't figure it out. She was hanging out with one of the actual judges at the judge's house. It's the phase of the show where the contestants go to the judge's house and perform out on the lawn. It was a casual setting. Filmed, not live.

Another athlete commits a crime? Shocker.

I have no idea why anyone considers athletes to be "heroes", or feels that they should be role models for their progeny. Fame and money for running fast or hitting hard - yeah, that's heroic.
    JunkieGirl, captain, Hyper and 1 others like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

From what I've experienced, it’s actually usually the other way around, Rattus. Young people – who lack a mature perspective – often consider athletes heroic and then many adults, in turn, express concern that they aren’t always the best role models. That said, there are undeniably positive attributes and life lessons inherent in sports such as learning to overcome adversity and recognizing the value of resilient tenacity and persistent goal setting. And some athletes are role models, like Andre Agassi, who continues to open charter schools that are giving educational opportunities to at risk children. I just posted something in the tennis thread about that because he deserves to be acknowledged for it.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I don't know any kids, so I don't know their take on things. However, I do work with many adults, and I am genuinely tired of hearing their outrage when some athlete does something even remotely off-track because "what about the children"? I had an argument with my cubicle partner that resulted in her not talking to me for two weeks about Michael Phelps and the infamous pot smoking photo. Her opinion is that he, and others in his position, "owe" it to the children of the planet to remain consistently "morally upright" because they are role models. My opinion, on the other hand, is that it is their lives to do with as they see fit (barring actual harm to others) and that they are not remotely responsible for the moral education of the nation's youth.
    Hyper and Dragonlady like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I had an argument with my cubicle partner that resulted in her not talking to me for two weeks about Michael Phelps and the infamous pot smoking photo. Her opinion is that he, and others in his position, "owe" it to the children of the planet to remain consistently "morally upright" because they are role models.
    That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Just because Michael Phelps was fortunate enough to become an Olympic champion, doesn't mean he should have to bear the responsibility of setting an example for every young person out there?

I swear, humans can be so stupid sometimes.
    Hyper likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I don't think hero worship because he's an athlete was the issue with Oscar Pistorius. I think it was more the inspirational character thing, and rightly so. He truly overcame his physical disabilities, not just learned to live with them, and went on to not only reach his goals but do something that the vast majority of able bodied people in the world could never come close to accomplish.
    This was truly rightfully inspirational to all, especially those with physical disabilities.

What he did (allegedly) wasn't just a misstep in judgment like the Michael Phelps instance. It was a lethal & fatal & violent crime that deliberately ended the life of another person.
    Every single one of us bears the responsibility not to do that.

Anyone & everyone, whether they know him personally or not, has the right to be appalled & disappointed in him. He put himself on the world-wide stage showing "look at me". Well, we did look, and are still looking now, but with a whole different attitude toward him.
    NCLurker likes this.

+ Reply to Thread