+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5011Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I have to take exception about the comments on Rhianna.....most women in domestic violence go back to their abuser many times, before she finally says NO. They do understand that the violence is wrong but are still under the control of the abuser. I would never say a person deserves to be beaten. Domestic Violence is a very difficult situation to understand and even more difficult to leave.
    ness likes this.
    There's no place like home!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    I looked. Heavens, what was she thinking??? I meant Adele because that dress is a true monstrosity and does nothing for her whatsoever. She's a lovely girl, but that horrendous garment ages her something terrible!
    Mrs. Doubtfire as some have dubbed her.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I have to take exception about the comments on Rhianna.....most women in domestic violence go back to their abuser many times, before she finally says NO. They do understand that the violence is wrong but are still under the control of the abuser. I would never say a person deserves to be beaten. Domestic Violence is a very difficult situation to understand and even more difficult to leave.
    captain . . .

Very good points and observations.

I acknowledge what you're saying and will say straight up that victims of abuse --- since they're the ones sitting right in the middle of the violence --- oftentimes can't see the forest for the trees as regards what's right and wrong and their being knocked about from the window to the wall.

Matter of fact, I actually saw this type of thing personally at close range with a couple of female relatives of mine, and a co-worker/friend.

So yes, your point is valid, and again, I acknowledge that.

However, under the control of the abuser? I don't know about that. Honestly, I don't think anyone can control you unless YOU allow them to do so. Matter of fact, it was Eleanor Roosevelt who said: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

I agree with that.

If that wasn't true, why would some abused persons eventually have a "come to Jesus" reckoning with themselves and flee their tormentor? Or snap, turn around, and beat the hell out of their tormentor and stop the abuse THAT way (one of my relatives did, and he never laid a hand on her after that and they were together for YEARS after she finally cleaned his clock)? Or, snap and kill their tormentor, even?

I did and have said that I think, feel and believe that Chris Brown needs and deserves to be beaten to within an inch of his life because of what he did to Rihanna. And as far as I'm concerned, that can go for any man that hits a woman, or even for any woman that strikes a man. Because THAT does happen, as well.

I can't and don't see anything at all wrong with someone who strikes another person getting a dose of their own medicine. I believe that bullies and cowards who strike others need to see how it feels to be on the receiving end of physical brutality.

I also feel it applies to abused males, as well, that "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

If anything I've said above makes me some sort of uncouth heathen, I'll take the hit for that.

Just my thoughts.
    Florimel and bee stung lips like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

ness, you put it extremely well...I'm totally on your page about this issue.
    I will feel sorry for Rhianna when he hits her again but I will still maintain that she has a choice in the situation.
    He has no power over her unless she allows him to.
    Her actions are not totally excusable.
    ness and bee stung lips like this.

Everyone has a choice, but in domestic violence situations, the abuser has "beaten" the person down physically, verbally, and emotionally and seldom does the victim see any other choice but to stay. It takes time, but once the victim finds the courage, she/he is able to make the choice.
    As for the person doing the beating, I could care less what happens to him or her.
    This will end my soapbox......on to lighter things in life.
    prhoshay likes this.
    There's no place like home!

To the Point

captain, I certainly agree that in the majority of cases you are dead on. I will never understand it, but then that obviously isn't something with which I have had to deal. However, it seems that in most cases there seems to also be a financial dependency on the abuser which we definitely do not see here. Makes one wonder what is going on in her head to think that this time will be any different, but in that light this situation is absolutely no different than any other domestic abuse.
    Florimel and ness like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The mind control that goes on in domestic violence is hard to understand, but exists like you would not believe. Just because some people are able to summon up the spine to strike back and leave has nothing to do with the people who can't. In some people, this is a learned behavior that they have grown up with. I knew a guy who actually said that hitting you is how some people show you that they love you....whoa....that has been many years ago, and I have never forgotten his words. That didn't click with any part of his personality that I had come to know; he seemed pretty sane, otherwise.

It's amazing how some people can get inside your head and start to unravel you....and it's not just about the financial aspect. There are the people who decide to try to stick it out because they don't want to be alone; there are the people who think that they can save the abuser and make them better. There are the "But, I love him/her." And on, and on, and on.

I don't think these people need to judged as being inferior, but there is a definite glitch in their mental processes somewhere. There is a definite problem and stranglehold at work, here. "But he said he'd kill himself/herself if I left!" Tell him you'll miss him/her, but you'll see them in the next life; as long as they don't try to take you or other people with them, it's all good and a blessing in disguise.

It's a very complex situation.
    ness and justCoz like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

From what I have read recently she has also pushed away her best friend (Katy Perry) to be with him. Katy was very upset when Rihanna kissed Chris at some awards show recently and she really tried to talk some sense into Rihanna but it didn't work. Its been said that they haven't talked for months because Katy doesn't want to see someone she loves make such a big mistake. I also read in the same article that Rihanna has told everyone that will listen that if he ever leaves her she will literally kill him. Sad, really.
    ness likes this.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Did anyone see the video message sent to Rhianna from Nicole Brown Simpson's (murdered) sister? She warned her that she would end up like her sister if she wasn't careful. (Referring to her reconcilation with Chris Brown.)

I detest Chris Brown, however, I will say that I heard long ago that he grew up in a violent home and that men beat his mom and him very badly while he was growing up. I guess that's how he thinks it should be done because of that. IMO, that's why he needs super intensive therapy to overcome his anger and violent rage. The thing is, he choses to continue the way he is.

He will eventually hurt or kill her. It's just a matter of time. And most people won't be surprised at all.
    ness likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Wow, Steve Martin becomes a first-time dad at the age of 67. His 41 year-old wife gave birth in December and apparently the pregnancy was kept under wraps and no one knew about it (media wise). Congrats to him and to his wife. Steve Martin Becomes A Dad At 67 (Report) - Yahoo! News
    bee stung lips likes this.

+ Reply to Thread