+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5261Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

  1. #7901
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,201

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I am just pleased he finally married his partner
    Very true. I don't know why he didn't "come out" awhile ago. I can understand during the TV show and shortly afterwards, but now?
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  2. #7902
    FORT Fogey Miss Scarlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,749

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Very true. I don't know why he didn't "come out" awhile ago. I can understand during the TV show and shortly afterwards, but now?
    I believe he said that all of his friends & professional aquaintances have known for a very long time.
    I don't think he ever made any effort to hide it, deny it, or pretend otherwise. He just never felt the necessity of publicly "coming out".

    I agree with this attitude. Why should a gay public person (or non-public person for that matter) feel there's a requirement to announce their sexual orientation? It's personal. If it makes them feel better to do so then good, but it certainly shouldn't be expected or required of them. It's no one's business unless the person involved feels it is.
    It infuriates me every time someone decides to "out" a public person if that person doesn't chose to do it themself.

    There's just too much judging of people in this regard, in my opinion.

    Congratulation to Jim & his new husband.
    dagwood, Florimel, AmyKay and 4 others like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

  3. #7903
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,201

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I believe he said that all of his friends & professional aquaintances have known for a very long time.
    I don't think he ever made any effort to hide it, deny it, or pretend otherwise. He just never felt the necessity of publicly "coming out".

    I agree with this attitude. Why should a gay public person (or non-public person for that matter) feel there's a requirement to announce their sexual orientation? It's personal. If it makes them feel better to do so then good, but it certainly shouldn't be expected or required of them. It's no one's business unless the person involved feels it is.
    It infuriates me every time someone decides to "out" a public person if that person doesn't chose to do it themself.

    There's just too much judging of people in this regard, in my opinion.

    Congratulation to Jim & his new husband.
    I agree, there is no need to make this huge statement, but I think its been a known fact for years to most of the public. Sometimes I think of someone like Liberace, the fanbase is older or elderly, its frowned upon etc.... that might be why he just didn't say anything either way in addition to now wanting to "announce it". And like you I wish all the best.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  4. #7904
    To the Point
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    I thought that Jim Nabors was very open/out, however you want to label it. I didn't think of this as his coming out or admitting he was gay because I thought it was common knowledge. hmmmmmm.

  5. #7905
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,811

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    I felt exactly the same way about Anderson Cooper!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  6. #7906
    FORT Fogey Dragonlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,912

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    I feel the same way about ALL people...why the need to disclose every little thing?
    I like privacy and wish there was more of it. Most of us do not need to know what other people do in their private lives.
    Just have never understood why society expects gays to reveal all....it's nobody's business.
    Everyone should be allowed to live there lives the way they want to...in time, things will become evident.
    Florimel, norealityhere and Coco46 like this.

  7. #7907
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,134

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    I'm pretty sure we had this discussion upthread.

    The reason public figures need to come out is that the more people in the public eye who come out, the more commonplace it becomes. More teenagers struggling with their sexuality see they're not alone and more homophobes see people they "know" who are gay. It destroys that near-conspiracy of silence that implied that there was something wrong with being gay. I lost a friend to suicide over 20 years ago. I will always wonder if she might still be alive if there had been more out role models to show her she wasn't alone.

    I'm not cool with people being outed against their will, but I also have TONS more respect for people who come out and live their lives openly.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  8. #7908
    Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,885

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm pretty sure we had this discussion upthread.

    The reason public figures need to come out is that the more people in the public eye who come out, the more commonplace it becomes. More teenagers struggling with their sexuality see they're not alone and more homophobes see people they "know" who are gay. It destroys that near-conspiracy of silence that implied that there was something wrong with being gay. I lost a friend to suicide over 20 years ago. I will always wonder if she might still be alive if there had been more out role models to show her she wasn't alone.

    I'm not cool with people being outed against their will, but I also have TONS more respect for people who come out and live their lives openly.
    I'm with you on this one. It's not about people's need to know ones sexual preference as much as it's about helping encourage others who may be struggling with their own sexuality, to feel more free to live their lives according to their true selves without fear.
    ness likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

  9. #7909
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,811

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    I have been amazed by how many people declare that they are gay! If there are a ton of people now, it makes me realize that they've always been around and invisible. Isn't it something like women - 51%; men - 49%.....and those are figures about the general population.....now, when you consider that the gay factors into both numbers, I'd be curious to know what percentage of each population sector declares "gay". I just think it would be an interesting census/sociological number.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  10. #7910
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I'm with you on this one. It's not about people's need to know ones sexual preference as much as it's about helping encourage others who may be struggling with their own sexuality, to feel more free to live their lives according to their true selves without fear.
    I am also in complete agreement on this issue. And part of me wonders why anyone who will happily rabbit on about this celebrity's wife or that celebrity's string of boyfriends would take umbrage at the very idea of a gay celebrity being public about their partner.

    Congrats to Mr. Nabors and spouse.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.