+ Reply to Thread
Page 79 of 1098 FirstFirst ... 296970717273747576777879808182838485868788891291795791079 ... LastLast
Like Tree4587Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I seriously doubt it, but I guess that remains to be seen. Can we say 'questionable sincerity'? In Hollywood, I guess the new thing is anything necessary to give lip service to keeping your job.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey
    I think it's almost certain that there are two separate kinds of rehab in Hollywood anymore- genuine rehab, and PR rehab. It's as standard a PR move to fix reports of bad behavior with a stay in PR rehab as it is to be worried about what you're wearing to be seen and noticed on the red carpet. I think you can tell the difference between the two by the facility. A facility like the Betty Ford clinic, where everyone is treated the same, roommates and all, regardless of fame is a genuine rehab facility. Someone going into PR rehab does not going into a facility like that. PR rehab treats stars differently, because they're stars. I've even heard reports, which I believe, that there are even staff members on hand in PR rehab facilities who are responsible for getting booze or other substances and/or forms of entertainment into the celebrities during their stay. So I'm not willing to consider a star to be truly in rehab, or for it to be an effective rehab, when they're in a PR rehab facility.

All that said, I've seen so many comments from Grey's cast members about how IW's problem was not homophobia but controlling his temper that I tend to think the treatment he sought was for anger management. If that's the case, I can understand why it would be short, and more of an outpatient thing. Heck, I think that the only reason he was not outpatient for a week was to give him a convenient excuse to miss the SAG awards.

The mystery here is that if everyone now knows that P.R. flacks are checking their charges into what are basically little vacation spas for a week or two, if everyone KNOWS its a crock now, does it still really have the "P.R. benefit" its designed to have?

Sure, this has been going on for years, but its only in the last year or so that you've got people like Keith Urban checking out for a holiday (admittedly from a 2 month rehab, so its better than some) and Lindsey Lohan being captured by paparazzi out taking a coffee break from rehab.

In other words, if you are just going through the motions, and everyone knows it, is the strategy basically boiling down to "hope people have short memories"?

Even the stars who aren't technically substance abusers or in rehab seem to rely on this. Looking at Britney Spears these days, its pretty hard to believe that anyone's ever going to take her seriously again. And yet, given some time, the public probably IS going to forget her latest shennanigans. I mean how often is her first marriage mentioned anymore? Or even her ridiculous history with Justin Timberlake?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2222354;
    In other words, if you are just going through the motions, and everyone knows it, is the strategy basically boiling down to "hope people have short memories"?
    And sadly, too many people do have those short memories. Or are just looking for anything they can use to shore up their idolizing of these celebs. "Hey dude, don't call Lindsey a drunk, she owned up to her problems and went into rehab to get better, dude, so that pic of her at last nite's party chugging Grey Goose vodka is a lie, dude. She went through rehab, dude!"
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    All that said, I've seen so many comments from Grey's cast members about how IW's problem was not homophobia but controlling his temper that I tend to think the treatment he sought was for anger management. If that's the case, I can understand why it would be short, and more of an outpatient thing. Heck, I think that the only reason he was not outpatient for a week was to give him a convenient excuse to miss the SAG awards.
    Im reluctant to call it rehab since he just went into counseling(Though im sure it could be considered that). They're putting the former word in there to further make a big stink about it. He's addressing his issues, there ha! Unfortunately it took involving someone else but it's at least being address.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Sure, this has been going on for years, but its only in the last year or so that you've got people like Keith Urban checking out for a holiday (admittedly from a 2 month rehab, so its better than some) and Lindsey Lohan being captured by paparazzi out taking a coffee break from rehab.
    Oh, I agree with all of the post, but please don't lump Keith Urban's rehab in with the fluff that the others are doing. Keith Urban was in rehab for 90 days and had a short vacation after approximately 70 days. By all accounts that's pretty typical in a REAL rehab facility as they try to get their patients reacclimated back into "real" life.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2222875;
    Oh, I agree with all of the post, but please don't lump Keith Urban's rehab in with the fluff that the others are doing. Keith Urban was in rehab for 90 days and had a short vacation after approximately 70 days. By all accounts that's pretty typical in a REAL rehab facility as they try to get their patients reacclimated back into "real" life.
    I don't like Keith Urban at all, but I do have to give credit where credit is due, and agree that his rehab stint at least appeared to be a sincere attempt. I was watching the CMA awards a couple of months ago and remember he won some kind of award but wasn't there to accept in person because he was in rehab. And I know it was a big-deal award in the country-music scene, so if there was any insincerity in his rehab attempt, that would have been a good excuse for him to leave, even if temporarily, and he didn't. Unlike Lindsey Lohan, and other celebs, who come and go from their 'rehabs' more often than lots of people come and go from their own bathrooms every day.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Leo
    Premium Member
    The mystery here is that if everyone now knows that P.R. flacks are checking their charges into what are basically little vacation spas for a week or two, if everyone KNOWS its a crock now, does it still really have the "P.R. benefit" its designed to have?
    I don't think it's nearly "everyone" who knows that it's not real rehab. Online communities, like the Fort, are almost, by definition, very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans. We're not the target audience, though. The targets are those who aren't really as into the "celebrity culture", as I think of it. They hear that celebrity X has so-and-so problem and they're going to rehab, they think, "that's nice, at least he/she's trying to work their problems out." It's a good way to think for non-celebrities, but not so for Hollywood types.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2223026;
    .... Online communities, like the Fort, are almost, by definition, very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans.
    Yeah, we are kinda snarky and borderline cynical, that's true, lol! But I love us here at FoRT

(In my case, usually you can leave the 'borderline' off the description tho, lol)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Sweet innocent little Harry Potter:

Almost grown up Harry:

Harry Potter' Stage Strip Stirs Storm

Wed Jan 31, 6:34 PM ET

"Harry Potter" star Daniel Radcliffe, who strips for his new role in London's West End revival of the play "Equus," has ignited a bit of a media firestorm by posing for racy promotional photos for the production.

The Tony-Award-winning drama tells the story of a stable-hand who has an erotic fixation with horses. In one photo, Radcliffe, 17, dares to bare it all alongside a white horse; in another, he is pictured with a naked Joanna Christie, the actress who portrays his girlfriend.

"Equus," directed by Thea Sharrock, opens at London's Gielgud Theater on Feb. 27. Tony Award-winning actor Richard Griffiths plays a pyschiatrist who treats Radcliffe's character.

"Part of me wants to shake up people's perception of me, just shove me in a blender," Radcliffe said in a recent interview with Newsweek magazine.

"It's a really challenging play, and if I can pull it off we don't know if I can yet I hope people will stop and think, 'Maybe he can do something other than Harry,'" he said.

Radcliffe, who was discovered seven years ago in the audience of a London theater, reprises his role as the bespectacled boy wizard in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," slated for release July 13.

Harry Potter!

Believe me, there are more...um...interesting pictures floating around the internet!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread