+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4543Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

She cant win either way. I just don't understand why this is such big news . I truly don't.
    Shoepie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Temperature/climate can affect one's voice. Isn't Aretha Franklin the person who wants it very warm when she performs.....indoors, anyway. Other people become uncomfortable with the heat. The professionals know what they are doing and why....it's called experience in their field. Like the saying that became popular, "Stay in your lane." You're generally good at what you do for a reason.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I can see both points, damned if you do, damned if you don't. I bet if she would have made a huge mistake it would be all over the news, like this is.

They also say the cold weather isn't the best for singing either.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

OK.

I like Kelly and her singing, for the most part. Always have.

Beyonce? Not so much, anymore, and not for YEARS.

Having said that . . .

Yep, I give Kelly two, three and four for handling her business live and in living color.

Beyonce? Meh.

The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost would have to walk in here right now and verify to me that she DIDN'T lip sync that whole song, or at the very least, any part of it, at all.

A few reasons/excuses attributed to her for NOT singing live that I've heard/read so far include: 1. Pavarotti did it. 2. It was freezing out there! 3. The musical director of the show suggested she not sing live.

Pavarotti did it? OK. AND? What does Pavarotti (and God only knows HOW many others!) having sung to pre-recorded tracks in the past have to do with YOU singing live at an inauguration? Like my grandpa used to say: "When I ask you WHY you did something, don't EVER tell me that YOU did something because everybody ELSE was doing it, too! Does that mean that if everybody else decides to go run and jump off a cliff, YOU'RE going to decide to go run and jump off it AFTER them?"

Please.

It was freezing out there? OK. Back in 2009, the high temp during the day for Obama's first inauguration was 30 degrees, based on what I found when I checked the Net, out of curiosity. IIRC, Aretha Franklin (66 years old, at the time) sang, and SHE SANG LIVE. At the 2013 inauguration, the high temp was between 44 and 46 degrees, I think. 'Scuse me, but AFAIK, 32 degrees is designated as the freezing temp. Interesting to me how Kelly Clarkson (30 years old, bundled up in a coat and scarf) managed to sing live this week in 44 - 46 degree weather. And Aretha Franklin, 66 years old, at the time, managed to sing live back in 2009 in 30-degree weather (bundled up in a coat, scarf --- I think ---- gloves, and a now-famous/infamous hat). But YOU (31 years old, BTW) choose to take the coat that you had ON when you entered OFF to "sing" in a formal evening-gown-looking dress? In 44 - 46 degree weather? And you're whining that it was freezing?

Please.

The musical director told/suggested you not sing live? OK. Funny, but I haven't heard/read anything so far about him/her (?) giving that same advice to Kelly Clarkson. And I think that THAT little piece of info would've SURELY leaked, by now, if it'd happened. And I didn't hear/read anything about the musical director from the 2009 inauguration saying/suggesting anything of that nature to Aretha Franklin. Which, he/she (?) most likely WOULDN'T'VE anyway. Seeing as how Aretha has been around for years, DECADES, even, is a law unto herself, and might very well have been of an age enough to have put diapers on whoever the musical director might've been back then, anyway.

Please.

I might've had some modicum of respect left for Beyonce had she just admitted, straight up, that she was nervous because of the significance of the event, things happen, and she was shooting for safe rather than sorry, as far as her performance went. If Itzhak Perlman --- once he was flat-out asked about whether or not it WAS pre-recorded --- could own up to his classical music portion of the 2009 inauguration being pre-recorded and played back due to weather, the fact that the instruments get cold and nobody wanted to risk a string popping during such an important historical moment and performance, etc., then why couldn't she have been in the same church, slightly different pew? I might've been able to go along with what she was (allegedly) saying if she'd NOT taken her coat off to "sing" in 44 - 46 degree weather, then whine about it being freezing out there, later on. Or NOT made such a show out of dramatically ripping her earpiece out. Or not have said (allegedly) that the musical director told HER she shouldn't be singing live. Or not use the cover/excuse that "Pavarotti did it!"

And, smart as she is supposed to be, I guess she honestly thought this wouldn't leak out, somehow.

SMH.

I call BS on her whole shooting match.

SHAME ON HER.

Don't go away MAD, B.

Just GO AWAY.

JMHO.
    Last edited by ness; 01-24-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    bee stung lips and Dragonlady like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I had no problem with Beyonce lip syncing. Didn't WH also lip-sing (sing to background track) for her famous national anthem? B still has a fantastic voice regardless. I also won't mind when she lip-syncs her Super Bowl performance next month because that's common place in the domes and the televised aspect.

Props to Kelly for singing live though. I like both of them so I liked either performances, live or not. They both put on incredible concerts when I've seen them live and that's what matters most to me when it comes to musical acts.
    "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." ~Elbert Hubbard
    "Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product." ~Eleanor Roosevelt
    ~R.I.P. Grandma 6/22/33 - 10/5/10~

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'm not a fan of Beyonce, however, I think her voice is wonderful. This is my take on anyone who decides to lip sync at a big event. First of all, there is always a chance that your voice may break. You could hit an off note, choke, etc. It's possible, no matter who you are. So if your voice is the slightest bit scratchy, you have to decide which is worse. Is it worse to make the mistake and have the entire event outstaged by huge headlines that your voice failed. Because the crack in your voice will be played over and over FOREVER. The HUGE headlines will be that BEYONCE'S perfect voice CRACKED and ruined an otherwise perfect day. This would be her claim to fame forever.

Then, if you lip sync and don't take the chance of singing live, you risk having your name rolled through the mud for doing it that way. You have to decide which is the choice you can deal with. She made hers and I take no issue with it.

No one's perfect, and one should expect that each and every time they get up to sing that their voice will be pitch perfect. But anyone who's had vocal training knows that vocal training teaches you to how to sing using proper technique, which involves using your diaphragm. This enables you to control the way the notes are being sung. There's a whole world of difference between merely screeching the notes from your throat as opposed singing from way down deep in your stomach and being able to control the way the sound comes out. This is why I don't understand why "pros" like Beyonce rarely sing live anymore. I've sang before crowds many, many times over the course of my life. No, I've never sang before 300 million+ people, but I have sang before very large crowds before and each and any time I may have felt I was losing control over a note I used the principles I was taught in vocal training regarding controlling my pitch, sound enunciation etc. It's not that hard when you've been trained.

I just think it's a cop out to rely on lip syncing in an instance like the inauguration. To me, there is no song more wrought with emotion than the national anthem. You sing it live, you sing it with pride, you sing it with resonance and determination and you feel your emotions in real time; those emotions are conveyed in the way the lyrics sound as they're coming out of your mouth at that moment, not some digitally enhanced prerecorded track.

Unless you're dancing around singing a choreographed number, where you'll be out of breath, I see no excuse for a true vocalist to lip sync.

I may be on the old fashioned side in this regard, but that's just who I am.
    Last edited by bee stung lips; 01-24-2013 at 02:13 PM.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I don't have a problem with an established singer lip syncing if they admit it & explain their choice. We all know Beyonce can sing well. It's not like a Milli Vanilli fraud (one for the oldies to remember ) Honesty goes a long way.
    I like Beyonce the singer a lot. It's Beyonce the celebrity I have little use for.
    dagwood and ness like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by umngirl View Post
    I had no problem with Beyonce lip syncing. Didn't WH also lip-sing (sing to background track) for her famous national anthem? B still has a fantastic voice regardless. I also won't mind when she lip-syncs her Super Bowl performance next month because that's common place in the domes and the televised aspect.

Props to Kelly for singing live though. I like both of them so I liked either performances, live or not. They both put on incredible concerts when I've seen them live and that's what matters most to me when it comes to musical acts.
    If you're gonna lip sync, no prob.

My thing is: Just OWN UP TO IT when it comes to light. Instead of: "So-and-so did it!" Instead of: "The devil said I should do it!" Instead of: "It was COLD! (After you've taken a big-a$$ [Fur?] coat OFF to sing -- and NOBODY would've thought any the less of you if you'd've KEPT IT ON! --- and you could've EASILY kept it on and STILL performed.)"

Just sayin'.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

But I don't think she has even addressed it. Everyone else is making up the reasons behind it. I just don't think she cares what people think of her performance because she was happy with it. Maybe she will say something at some point, but this is the same person who didn't announce her pregnancy til she was like really showing. She doesn't really comment on much in the media unless she is giving a formal interview. Perhaps with her Super Bowl show she will be forced to talk, although I doubt it.
    "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." ~Elbert Hubbard
    "Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product." ~Eleanor Roosevelt
    ~R.I.P. Grandma 6/22/33 - 10/5/10~

Quote Originally Posted by umngirl View Post
    But I don't think she has even addressed it. Everyone else is making up the reasons behind it. I just don't think she cares what people think of her performance because she was happy with it. Maybe she will say something at some point, but this is the same person who didn't announce her pregnancy til she was like really showing. She doesn't really comment on much in the media unless she is giving a formal interview. Perhaps with her Super Bowl show she will be forced to talk, although I doubt it.
    Note that in my post before my last post, I DID say "attributed to her" and "allegedly" when I gave MHO on reasons that were released/stated as to why she chose to lip synch.

Even without that, far as I'm concerned, SHE PUT HERSELF OUT THERE TO BE BASHED if, for NO other reason than using simple logic and common sense regarding why she: 1. Shows up in what appears to be an EVENING GOWN in the FIRST place for an event of this nature, and 2. PULLED OFF a big, what-appeared-to-be fur coat in 44 - 46 degree weather OUTSIDE when performing. And that coat OBVIOUSLY wouldn't've kept her from sending even one note out of her body. And the overly-dramatic ripping away of her earpiece near the song's end.

Baby Girl was out there to engage in some serious stylin' and profilin', based on how I interpreted what I saw.

And if she doesn't care what people say about her "performances", good for her and more power to her. In order to be in that business, anyway, I think you've got to have a screw loose if you DON'T know that people will see and hear what you do. And BECAUSE YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO PUT YOURSELF OUT IN THE PUBLIC DUE TO THE BUSINESS YOU CHOSE TO ENGAGE IN, we, the great unwashed, are free to discuss, dissect, speculate and voice our opinions on whatever it is about you that has been done in the public arena, should we wish or choose to.

Just sayin'.
    bee stung lips likes this.

+ Reply to Thread