+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 1108 FirstFirst ... 286869707172737475767778798081828384858687881281785781078 ... LastLast
Like Tree4671Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2220605;
    Not hating! Just surprised... Just call me Supermodel Lois, though, from now on, ok?
    Lois, you must have missed class #2 from the Janice Dickinson School of Self-Proclamations.

Your official title should be Self-Proclaimed First FoRT Supermodel Lois!

I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2220676;
    Lois, you must have missed class #2 from the Janice Dickinson School of Self-Proclamations.

Your official title should be Self-Proclaimed First FoRT Supermodel Lois!
    OOOhhh, I like that! I think I know what my new signature is going to be...

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2220680;
    LOL! Stick with me, kid, and we'll get you your own reality show yet!
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

It's b-a-a-a-a-c-c-c-k-k

I guess we all knew it was too good to be true, too much to hope he'd never return....

Jackson's Back in the U.S.A.
    by Gina Serpe
    Fri, 26 Jan 2007 01:21:00 PM PST

Apparently Michael Jackson just can't beat it.

After more than a year of living abroad following his acquittal on child-molestation charges, Michael Jackson has returned to his homeland.

Following his June 2005 acquittal, Jackson, 48, has bounced around from Bahrain to Ireland to France, only twice making public appearances, picking up lifetime achievement awards from the MTV Japan Video Music Awards in Tokyo and the World Music Awards in London.

Late last month, Jackson, 48, resurfaced for the first time on his native soil as one of the eulogists at James Brown's final memorial service Dec. 30 in Augusta, Georgia. Now, publicist Raymone K. Bain says that Jackson plans to finally stay put, but she declined to elaborate on where exactly he was setting up shop. Last year, he laid off a major percentage of his staff and closed down the main house at Neverland Ranch.

News of Jackson's return was first reported Friday by the Associated Press and came after a conference call in which Jackson announced plans to appear at two "fan appreciation events" in Japan in March.

"I look forward to visiting Japan again in March," he said in a statement. "My friends and fans in Japan have been so supportive of me and my family for many, many years and I thank them for their love and support."

The events were originally scheduled to take place in late December in recognition of the 25th anniversary of Thriller, though Jackson canceled the event at the last minute, after tickets, going for as much as $3,300 a pop, failed to sell as well as expected.

On Mar. 8, a VIP party will be held in Jackson's honor, in which well-heeled guests will share dinner with the Gloved One, get an autographed photo and be allowed to meet and greet the entertainer for between 30 and 60 seconds.

But Jackson's cash-starved fans won't be completely out in the cold. As previously announced, a less pricey to-do is scheduled for the following day. Jackson won't perform at either event, leaving his long-plotted comeback up in the air.

The performer never managed to get his all-star Hurricane Katrina benefit single into stores, and last year, he parted ways with the Bahrain-based record label, Two Seas, with whom he had been prepping—at least in theory—an album aiming for release later this year.

However, Jackson has recently logged studio time with Black Eyed Peas rapper-producer-mastermind Will.I.Am, with the two reportedly collaborating on several new tracks.

So he was charging $3,300 a ticket for what didn't even sound like it was going to be a concert and they didn't sell. I don't think he's currently even worth a $30 ticket let alone $3,300. He was talented but not that much and not anymore.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Now you're going to get a big head over this. The worse that'll happen to you is you'll end up in the surreal life house pining for c-list status.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Link Here

Author Sidney Sheldon Dies at 89

Tue Jan 30,10:34 PM ET

Sidney Sheldon, who won awards in three careers Broadway theater, movies and television then at age 50 turned to writing best-selling novels about stalwart women who triumph in a hostile world of ruthless men, has died. He was 89.

Sheldon died Tuesday afternoon of complications from pneumonia at Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, said Warren Cowan, his publicist. His wife, Alexandra, and his daughter, author Mary Sheldon, were by his side.

"I've lost a longtime and dear friend," Cowan said. "In all my years in this business, I've never heard an unkind word said about him."

Sheldon's books, with titles such as "Rage of Angels," "The Other Side of Midnight," "Master of the Game" and "If Tomorrow Comes," provided his greatest fame. They were cleverly plotted, with a high degree of suspense and sensuality and a device to keep the reader turning pages.

"I try to write my books so the reader can't put them down," he explained in a 1982 interview. "I try to construct them so when the reader gets to the end of a chapter, he or she has to read just one more chapter. It's the technique of the old Saturday afternoon serial: leave the guy hanging on the edge of the cliff at the end of the chapter."

Analyzing why so many women bought his books, he commented: "I like to write about women who are talented and capable, but most important, retain their femininity. Women have tremendous power their femininity, because men can't do without it."

Sheldon was obviously not aiming at highbrow critics, whose reviews of his books were generally disparaging. He remained undeterred, promoting the novels and himself with genial fervor. A big, cheerful man, he bragged about his work habits.

Unlike other novelists who toiled over typewriters or computers, he dictated 50 pages a day to a secretary or a tape machine. He corrected the pages the following day, continuing the routine until he had 1,200 to 1,500 pages.

"Then I do a complete rewrite_ 12 to 15 times," he said. "I spend a whole year rewriting."

Several of his novels became television miniseries, often with the author as producer.

Sheldon began writing as a youngster in Chicago, where he was born Feb. 17, 1917. At 10, he made his first sale: $10 for a poem. During the Depression, he worked at a variety of jobs, attended Northwestern University and contributed short plays to drama groups.

At 17, he decided to try his luck in Hollywood. The only job he could find was as a reader of prospective film material at Universal Studio for $22 a week. At night he wrote his own screenplays and sold one, "South of Panama," to the studio for $250.

During World War II, he served as a pilot in the Army Air Corps. In the New York theater after the war he established his reputation as a prolific writer. At one time he had three musicals on Broadway: a rewritten "The Merry Widow," "Jackpot" and "Dream with Music." He received a Tony award as one of the writers of the Gwen Verdon hit "Redhead." His Broadway success brought about his return to Hollywood.

His first assignment, "The Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer," starring Cary Grant, Myrna Loy and Shirley Temple, brought him the Academy Award for best original screenplay of 1947.

While under contract to MGM, he recalled in 1982, "I worked like hell and I never stopped. Dore Schary (then production head) one day looked at a list of MGM projects. I had written eight of them, more than three other writers put together. That afternoon, he made me a producer."

With the movie business hurting because of television's popularity, Sheldon decided to try the new medium.

"I suppose I needed money," he remembered. "I met Patty Duke one day at lunch. So I produced 'The Patty Duke Show' (in which she played two cousins), and I did something nobody else in TV ever did. For seven years, I wrote almost every single episode of the series."

Another series, "Nancy," lasted only a half-season, but "I Dream of Jeannie," which he also created and produced, lasted five seasons, 1965-1970. The show concerned an astronaut, Larry Hagman, who lands on a desert island and discovers a bottle containing a beautiful, 2,000-year-old genie, played by Barbara Eden. She accompanies him back to Florida and eventually marries her.

"During the last year of 'I Dream of Jeannie,' I decided to try a novel," he said in 1982. "Each morning from 9 until noon, I had a secretary at the studio take all calls. I mean every single call. I wrote each morning or rather, dictated and then I faced the TV business."

The result was "The Naked Face," which was scorned by book reviewers and sold 21,000 copies in hardcover. The novel found a mass market in paperback, reportedly selling 3.1 million. Thereafter Sheldon became a habitue of best-seller lists, often reigning on top.

Sheldon prided himself on the authenticity of his novels. He remarked in 1987: "If I write about a place, I have been there. If I write about a meal in Indonesia, I have eaten there in that restaurant. I don't think you can fool the reader."

For "Windmills of the Mind," which dealt with the CIA, he interviewed former CIA chief Richard Helms, traveled to Argentina and Romania, and spent a week in Junction City, Kan., where the heroine had lived.

Having won a Tony, an Oscar and an Emmy (for "I Dream of Jeannie"), Sheldon declared that his final medium was the best.

"I love writing books," he commented. "Movies are a collaborative medium, and everyone is second-guessing you. When you do a novel you're on your own. It's a freedom that doesn't exist in any other medium."

Sheldon was married for more than 30 years to Jorja Curtright Sheldon, a stage and film actress who later became a prominent interior decorator. She died in 1985.

He married Alexandra Kostoff, a former child actress and advertising executive, in 1989.

Along with his wife and daughter, survivors include his brother Richard, two grandchildren and other family members.

Private funeral services were pending.

RIP Mr. Sheldon
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Very sad, but what a wonderful life Sidney Sheldon had led. A veritable renaissance man, and a genuinely nice guy to boot. I especially enjoyed his books, and I rarely read fiction, such was his appeal to so many people. Alongside the 2000+ books in my home library, his are the very rare fiction books to be found on my shelves, and even though I've read them all, I often will go back a couple of years later and re-read some. He had a real knack for filling out a character and for building a plot and suspense.

R.I.P. to Sidney, and may all his family and loved ones feel a bit of the love felt by so many towards him.

Wow - a rare bird to have been married for life (having been widowed once). And what a prolific workman.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

The following can probably also go in the Grey's Anatomy thread, but I think its appropriate her as well for a VERY specific reason, which I will discuss after the article:

http://contactmusic.com/news.nsf/art...0rehab_1020769
    WASHINGTON RELEASED FROM REHAB

LATEST: Troubled GREY'S ANATOMY star ISAIAH WASHINGTON has been released from a rehabilitation facility after a week of counselling for his repeated use of a homophobic slur. The star, who plays DR PRESTON BURKE on the hit series, is expected to return to the set tomorrow (01FEB07). Washington, who will continue to receive outpatient counselling, caused an altercation on the show's set in October (06) when he used a homosexual slur to refer to cast member TR KNIGHT. He stirred up the controversy once again during a Golden Globes press conference when he used the term again while talking about the incident.

31/01/2007 20:12
    Here's my premise for discussion. Forget about what Washington DID for a moment (we can discuss that in the Grey's thread I guess). Think instead about how they went through all of this hullabaloo for him to spend a WEEK, a mere week, in "rehab". Sure there's "outpatient care" to follow, but I think this goes hand-in-hand with the discussions we've had about Lindsey Lohan elsewhere and how her rehab "experience" has also been like a brief hotel visit.

Does rehab in fact mean ANYTHING anymore in Hollywood? While Washington doesn't have a substance abuse problem as far as we know, the very fact that the rehab "excuse" was used to help justify his continued existence on the show seems to argue that it should have been applied in some kind of serious manner. If an alcoholic spent a week in rehab, it would be like spending a week in a drunk tank--a drying out perhaps but not a real solution. So what does a week in "rehab" do for an anger-junkie? Is the marginal P.R. value enough?

Hollywood rehab... Joke or tragedy? Convenient P.R. fix or actual treatment?
    Last edited by Krom; 01-31-2007 at 04:44 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread