+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4543Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

FORT Fogey

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

On this week's The Soup, Joel McHale announced that Taylor Swift had broken up with her latest boyfriend and asked when she was going to write a song about what a horrible girlfriend she is. Then he added that she was like the dinosaur in Jurassic Park: if she sense movement, she dates it.

And in defense of those of us who remember the Monkees fondly from our childhoods, though they were the pre-fab five, Mike and Peter were legitimate musicians in their own right, and even Mickey and Davy, who were hired more as actors than musicians, could carry a tune. In fact, as a boy, Davy had played the Artful Dodger in the London production of Oliver. Mike also wrote some of their music, and they all toured together in order to prove that they were, in fact, capable of playing and singing their own music (and that was before the days of auto-tuning).
    Florimel likes this.

I listen to the music by the monkees now and UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh well, each to their own.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I am not trying to start a war....but why do we expect "celebrities" to be any kind of role model? Role models should be found in families, teachers, etc.
    I think it's probably a lot to ask any category of people--celebrities, family members, teachers--to be role models for anyone else. Some parents are great role models. Others aren't, for a variety of reasons, some of which may be beyond their control. Some teachers work well as a role model for some students, while other students just don't connect to that particular teacher. For that matter, there are some famous people who are or have been reasonably good role models in a lot of ways. You know, the kind of people who put their time and money where their mouths are and support a variety of causes, sometimes even making it look like a lot of fun to do so. I think of Paul Newman in that regard. I remember the friend who helped Paul start producing his food line, with the idea that all the money would go to charity remarking that to Paul, the money mean that much, because he had plenty. But he simply loved working out all the recipes and figuring out how to make them mass marketable and then watching the money roll out to keep his kids' camps and a whole bunch of other charitable efforts going. He just got a huge kick out of it.

To the Point

Truth be told, we are all role models to someone whether we mean to be or not, whether we are a good role model or a bad role models.
    beerbelly, AmyKay, Shoepie and 2 others like this.

If memory serves me, Stephen Stills was considered for the Monkees as well, but history took him in a different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    If memory serves me, Stephen Stills was considered for the Monkees as well, but history took him in a different direction.
    I believe that he actually recommended Peter Tork to the producers when he couldn't do it.

I have one Monkees tune in my player - Goin' Down. A fast paced jazzy number, written by Nesmith, sung by Dolenz, who has a voice I genuinely like.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I believe that he actually recommended Peter Tork to the producers when he couldn't do it.

I have one Monkees tune in my player - Goin' Down. A fast paced jazzy number, written by Nesmith, sung by Dolenz, who has a voice I genuinely like.
    I believe you're right about that. And I always rather liked the numbers Nesmith wrote for them.

FORT Fogey

It was funny on the Golden Globes tonight ... Michael J. Fox and Tracy Pollan's cute son was "Mr. Golden Globes," and Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were doing their shtick and told Taylor Swift to stay away from him! They flashed to Taylor in the audience, and she did not look amused!
    Shoepie and bee stung lips like this.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Lol, good one! I also noticed the look of displeasure on Taylor's face when Adele's "Skyfall" song was announced as the winner for best song...lol
    Shoepie and AlwaysVeg like this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Speaking of role models....Beiber's fans decided it would be a good idea to start a movement to cut themselves until he gives up smoking pot.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread