+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5030Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Her earlier albums were pretty good, IMO. She ahd that Tim McGraw song, Teardrops on My Guitar was really pretty, too. But they were age appropriate because she was a teenager. I think her best song is Fifteen. It's about starting high school and the lyrics are empowering. Then she got older and her songs are still very young. Another favorite of mine is from the Tim McGraw album called Mary's song. It's adorable and sweet. She needs to grow as she ages and she's just not doing that. I mean, Adele wrote an album about a breakup with a guy and the songs were powerful and mature. Taylor needs to take note.
    justCoz likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Her earlier albums were pretty good, IMO. She ahd that Tim McGraw song, Teardrops on My Guitar was really pretty, too. But they were age appropriate because she was a teenager. I think her best song is Fifteen. It's about starting high school and the lyrics are empowering. Then she got older and her songs are still very young. Another favorite of mine is from the Tim McGraw album called Mary's song. It's adorable and sweet. She needs to grow as she ages and she's just not doing that. I mean, Adele wrote an album about a breakup with a guy and the songs were powerful and mature. Taylor needs to take note.
    She will .I think she will change and grow. Adele was born grown up.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Exactly. What worked for her at 15 isn't working at 23 and she doesn't seem to get it. I suspect she doesn't possess (and frankly, I doubt she ever will) the depth and maturity to write songs that a woman would write.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I'll chime in and say I really dislike her new "We are never getting back together" song.

The video for it is groan-inducing. What's with the stupid PJ's, goofy dance moves etc.? Her whole, awkward, geeky school girl act is so over. UGH
    Dragonlady likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Apparently, she wrote the song to mock Jake Gyllenhaal, who didn't like her bubblegum-y pop songs. She clearly didn't understand how childish and ridiculous that really is. She's like the princess of passive-aggressive.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    She will .I think she will change and grow. Adele was born grown up.
    I don't really listen to Taylor Swift's music and never have. I'm aware of it only because of the amount of exposure she gets. Anyway, I wonder if a lot of artists who want to change and grow--maybe Swift included or not, I have no idea--are encouraged not to by their management, as long as what they're doing is still working in terms of selling music etc. And there does seem to be a lot of etc. involved with being a celebrity anymore. For instance, I just saw a commercial about Swift having a second fragrance out. Seems like everyone who's remotely famous now has his/her own perfume. Maybe it's just because I have allergies, but I care less about whose name is on a bottle of perfume than whether it makes me sneeze--though I would, absolutely, choose not to buy a fragrance emblazoned with the name of a celebrity whom I personally don't like. Or a name that just seemed to make little sense to me, like when Addidas came out with a cologne. I don't know if it was supposed to be men's scent or a women's scent, but I couldn't figure out why someone would want to smell like a tennis shoe. Even if I have worn Addidas, I wouldn't want to smell like one.

Anyway, I think celebrities who hit it young big can face a particular set of problems--do they want to push past the image that initially brought them success or stick with it longer than maybe they should, because that image is still hauling in the big money?

I also agree that Adele probably is an exception to that rule, because she's always seemed to be an older soul, so to speak. She never did fit the image of a pop princess, because neither her persona or her music was ever in that mold and she never let anyone push her in that direction, probably because she instinctively understood that it was wrong for her personally. Long term, that's likely to be a plus for her. She took a chance on being who she was, musically and personally, and it paid off for her--and will probably continue to pay off for her down the road.

Oh, and I realize celebrities have always had products associated with their names (in his heyday, Seabiscuit had a brand of ladies' hats named after him), but it's so much more evident today, because of all the advertising media that are available on which to market the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post

I also agree that Adele probably is an exception to that rule, because she's always seemed to be an older soul, so to speak. She never did fit the image of a pop princess, because neither her persona or her music was ever in that mold and she never let anyone push her in that direction, probably because she instinctively understood that it was wrong for her personally. Long term, that's likely to be a plus for her. She took a chance on being who she was, musically and personally, and it paid off for her--and will probably continue to pay off for her down the road.
    I'm going to argue that Taylor Swift is the exception. How many other 23-year old singers are singing songs that sound like they were written by a 15-year old? Not many. I think that, over time, Taylor will be more and more marginalized as a singer if she doesn't grow up, musically speaking. I think she's already becoming a bit of a joke. It's only a matter of time before her fans outgrow her.

Norah Jones who, arguably, put out a pretty darned mature album in Come Away With Me was 22 when that CD released. If we're talking country, which I think Taylor Swift is arguably NOT any more, Miranda Lambert was 22 when she released Kerosene.

It's either than Taylor Swift lacks the maturity and depth OR she's just trying to capitalize on her popularity with young girls. I think it's actually both. In a few years, she's going to be too old to get away with singing these songs and if she doesn't grow up, I think her career will slip away from her.

In other news, apparently Lindsay Lohan refused to kiss Charlie Sheen when they shot a scene for that Scary Movie (I think) sequel. How bad does it have to be before Linday Lohan won't kiss you? Charlie went WAY up in my estimation after hearing that, after THAT, he still gave her $100K to help her with her tax debt.....and it took her weeks to thank him for it.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    She's like the princess of passive-aggressive.
    Oh, tell me about it. Given her track record, I'm not sure why any boy, or man would be remotely interested in dating her. Unless, of course, his goal is to become a punchline in one of Taylor's cheesy songs.
    tapper01 likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Tonight, 60 Minutes has advertised they will interview her along with Adele and other musical artists. The contrast (depending on how it plays out) should be interesting.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Tonight, 60 Minutes has advertised they will interview her along with Adele and other musical artists. The contrast (depending on how it plays out) should be interesting.
    Oh good. I will want to see that for sure! Granddaughter number one likes them both( for different reasons) but she has learned to play guitar and even try her hand at writing some songs, thanks to TS - according to her
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread