+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4948Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    Actually, impulsive suicide is a recognized category amongst suicides in the psych field and there have been a couple of landmark studies done in the past several years with suicide survivors showing that a surprisingly high percentage of them only contemplated suicide for a brief time before attempting it and that many of those did so based upon what they perceived to be a recent catastrophic event in their lives.u

A close friend of mine is a psychologist and I have read the articles in her psych journals and can’t find the full studies online in doing a search, but here is a quote from a psychologist referencing one of the studies and a quote from an online site discussing it:

Impulsive Suicide

There is a potential inherent bias in the studies given that people planning suicide for a long time may be more intentional, and therefore more successful, but even taking that into account, the findings in these studies with suicide survivors strongly factually supported the already widely recognized category of impulsive suicide.

And I wanted to add some things to that but I have a lunch meeting, so I'll catch you guys later...
    How interesting. I think this makes perfect sense. I don't believe I would have reacted with suicide since I personally am more likely to get angry than depressed. However, I've never been publicly humiliated on a world-wide scale. It's hard to even begin imagine what that must feel like. I find it horribly sad for her kids and husband that she couldn't see past it.

The DJs?

Saw it.

IMHO, they are reaping what they have sown.

Or, put it this way, HELPED to sow, at least.

The suicide (if, indeed, that is what it turns out to be, although that actually appears to be the case, at this juncture)?

Perhaps there WERE other things going on with this lady. Another way to look at it, I think, is in a light that was touched on by another poster upthread . . .

Jacintha Saldanha had been a nurse in that hospital for, what, four years?

Based on everything I've heard, read and/or seen about her, to all accounts, she was a fine nurse.

Then, she shows up one day, does something she may have done hundreds, perhaps thousands of times before in the course of her job.

Only THIS time, she transferred a call that had to do with a sick royal who was in the hospital to that person's ward, thinking the individual who was calling was the Queen of that country.

Was it she who gave out personal medical info on the ill patient to the caller?

No.

Did she catch hell for being the one who transferred that call to the ward in the first place?

Yes.

Can I see how this lady, a very likely proud, to-all-accounts-competent healthcare professional, could have possibly internalized what she did, felt horrified and ashamed about being the one who transferred the call back to the ward in the first place? Felt that she'd compromised a patient in the hospital (a ROYAL, no less!), and embarrassed not only herself, but her family, colleagues, and the hospital she'd worked at for four years, as well? Held THEM up to public scorn and ridicule, as well, as the result of her action? Possibly feared for her job, on top of everything else?

And have very possibly allowed those feelings to push her over the brink to take her own life?

Yes.

And it all started with what was supposed to be a "funny", prank phone call.
    Last edited by ness; 12-11-2012 at 01:08 AM.
    JunkieGirl, mom2, MiaT2 and 2 others like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

It is my firm position that no one is responsible for another's sucide. Killing yourself comes from a very deep place of sorrow and personal demons. It will come out eventually that her mental state was very fragile and no one knew. The DJs are not responsible. Phone pranks have been around since kids called to ask if your ice box was running.........you better go catch it.

The woman just forwared the call to Kates ward! The nurse who gave the personal information is fine. The hospital got it. They supported their staff. New rules will be put into place.

This nurse could have been a royal worshiper to an extreme degree and thought she committed the absoule sin or whatever they may call it. The "royal" family didn't even care! The information the press got was a big nothing. "Her tummy is fine now." Come on!

The woman who killed herself, if she really did, was very disturbed.

And this all really comes down to what the frick is royality and why does it even exist? So silly and not relevant. They are in charge of nothing. The prime minister is the decision maker of the UK.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 12-11-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    It is my firm position that no one is responsible for another's sucide. Killing yourself comes from a very deep place of sorrow and personal demons. It will come out eventually that her mental state was very fragile and no one knew. The DJs are not responsible. Phone pranks have been around since kids called to ask if your ice box was running.........you better go catch it.

The woman just forwared the call to Kates ward! The nurse who gave the personal information is fine. The hospital got it. They supported their staff. New rules will be put into place.

This nurse could have been a royal worshiper to an extreme degree and thought she committed the absoule sin or whatever they may call it. The "royal" family didn't even care! The information the press got was a big nothing. "Her tummy is fine now." Come on!

And this all really comes down to what the frick is royality and why does it even exist? So silly and not relevant. They are in charge of nothing. The prime minister is the decision maker of the UK.
    She didn't JUST forward the call. She was the person who was supposed to screen the calls. By forwarding the call, she had deemed it "safe." The person who gave the personal information did so because the call got forwarded to her from the nurse who determined that the call was legit.
    ness and KatesMom like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It is my firm position that no one is responsible for another'ss sucide. Killing yourself comes from a very deep place of sorrow and personal demons. It will come out eventually that her mental state was very fragile and no one knew. The DJs are not responsible. Phone pranks have been around since kids called to ask if your ice box was running.........you better go catch it.

From what I have read, and heard from the UK - she had no such demons. Events can also trigger suicidal thoughts, I don't know if you know that.
    PIMguy, Florimel and ness like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Did you all hear that she had hung herself and that she had left a note for her family?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yes I heard that. Very sad.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I just now read an article in the NY Daily News with the additional detail about the hanging, Shay. The Telegraph had an article which I read earlier today that only mentioned the note and that is a respectable UK paper. Here, though, is the NY Daily News story and it reports that The Sun was the one they got the info from about the hanging and it is a tabloid so it will be more of an official confirmation if one of the more respectable London papers confirm that detail soon:

Jacintha Saldanha, victim of Australian radio prank call about Kate Middleton, left suicide note for family. It's unclear what the note says, although her family claims she would have been ashamed about the stunt. Meanwhile, the radio station's owner, Southern Cross Austereo, said in a statement that 'company protocols were adhered to.'

The London nurse who apparently killed herself after getting tricked in a prank call reportedly left a suicide note, although its contents have not been made public.

Jacintha Saldanha was found dead Friday morning following a hoax by two Australian deejays who succesfully pried information about mom-to-be Kate Middleton's hospital stay. According to Britain’s The Sun tabloid, Saldanha, a 46-year-old mother of two, hanged herself in the nurses’ quarters.

The note was left for Saldanha's husband, Benedict Barboza, and their children Junal, 17, and Lisha, 14, according to the Daily Mirror on Tuesday.

Her family, who stepped out publicly Monday night to meet with British Parliament officials and visit the hospital where she worked, has demanded answers into what happened. Her family in India has also said she was a "righteous person" who might have felt ashamed about being duped.

Saldanha reportedly answered the phone at King Edward VII's Hospital when the shock jocks called, and then transferred it to a colleague who ended up divulging information about Middleton. The Duchess of Cambridge was being treated for severe morning sickness and had left the hospital the day before Saldanha was found dead.

A family friend said Barboza is still trying to come to terms with his wife's death, according to the Daily Mirror.

“He’s very angry about all the proceedings, not only about the DJs but all the handling of the situation in the hospital," Stephen Almeida said. "He feels very angry about the hospital management."

Australian radio station 2Day FM in Sydney, which aired the prank call, said Tuesday that it broke no laws, and is even organizing a financial fund to help the victim's family.

Australia's communications authority is deciding whether to launch a full inquiry into the prank.

Federal Communications Minister Stephen Conroy said the authority is “considering fast-tracking (the case)," according to The Daily Telegraph.

Hospital officials have expressed outrage since the prank became widely reported, and the radio station has since suspended deejays Michael Christian and Mel Greig, and canned their show. The pair could also face questioning from Scotland Yard.
    Jacintha Saldanha, victim of Australian radio prank call about Kate Middleton, left suicide note for family - NY Daily News
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion, Tire Toss Champion, Little Protectors Champion PIMguy's Avatar

Obviously nobody is responsible for suicide except for the person who dies. Otherwise it would be called murder. However, every prank creates a victim and the DJs in this prank made Ms. Saldanha the victim. It may not have been their intent but she did become the victim of this prank. How she handled it was out of their control, but had they not conducted the prank perhaps Ms. Saldanha would still be alive. Maybe going so far as blaming the DJs as the only cause of her suicide is not right, but giving them a complete pass on their responsibility for this incident is not right either. The DJs losing their jobs does not cause me to lose any sleep at all.
    Florimel and KatesMom like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PIMguy View Post
    Obviously nobody is responsible for suicide except for the person who dies. Otherwise it would be called murder. However, every prank creates a victim and the DJs in this prank made Ms. Saldanha the victim. It may not have been their intent but she did become the victim of this prank. How she handled it was out of their control, but had they not conducted the prank perhaps Ms. Saldanha would still be alive. Maybe going so far as blaming the DJs as the only cause of her suicide is not right, but giving them a complete pass on their responsibility for this incident is not right either. The DJs losing their jobs does not cause me to lose any sleep at all.

I totally agree with this post and I think the key word here, in reality, is "perhaps".
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread