+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4954Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all this particular nurse did was transfer a call. Now I don't know this woman, but common sense tells me that a misdirected call would not make someone suicidal (and again, feel free to correct me, but I read that cause of death has not been confirmed).

This story is purely a creation by the media. The only actual truth I have been able to decipher is that there is a dead woman who happened to be a nurse. My sympathies to her family, but the rest of this story is prurient tabloid garbage of the lowest common denominator.
    prhoshay, captain, AmyKay and 2 others like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I think that impulsivity can only be determined from suicide survivors. You have NO imuplsivity determinations from the people who are successful at doing what they think they want to get done. It's all a big guess, at that point. Yeah....sometimes reality bites.

We cannot control everything that people decide to do. That's life.
    The psych classification of impulse suicide wasn't determined through interviews with suicide survivors, though, Shay, it existed long before that -- and surely some of those study participants survived only by chance and many people leave detailed notes which leaves less of a guessing game. When someone commits suicide the day after their business unexpectedly goes bankrupt or they unexpectedly break up with their boyfriend, for example, that is generally considered an impulse suicide, I believe, with the unexpected business failure or break up considered a trigger. Are you saying that cannot ever happen, in your estimation, unless that person had a long detailed and pre-determined suicide plan in advance? And, in that case, is the timing merely coincidental and the business failure or break up played no role? Because if it did play a role, is it not some sort of trigger or catalyst even if there are other underlying issues?

Also, the suicide of Tyler Clementi, since bigoted bullying has been brought up, is considered to be a reaction to his being outed in a humiliating way by his roommate immediately preceding it. Do you think that outing, and the humiliation he may have felt from it, played no role in him taking his life very directly after it? I also think there's a difference between controlling someone's behavior and striving toward a kinder, gentler society where people aren't publicly humiliated and perhaps understandably potentially question their self worth.

And I think you're suggesting that some people are determined to commit suicide for a very long time and nothing will stop them -- which is definitely possible -- but we don't know if that is the case with regard to this incident, and even if it was something Jacintha had considered, the timing lends itself toward the possibility that this was a trigger, and, if it was -- had the trigger never occurred -- perhaps Jacintha might have sought help for any other underlying issues, right?

ETA: I'm not trying to be snarky, at all, I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from.
    Last edited by chrisg; 12-10-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    ness likes this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    On the legal question. Generally, I would agree with you on prank phone calls. But, there are exceptions - like when you prank phone call a bomb threat or a fire. Also, when you are typically prank phone called, you don't expect it to make it on TV or radio and then be blasted around the world. There are laws with regard to expectation of privacy and taping a third person's voice. That is where I think the legal issues come in here, if at all. Now because this was a call to a business, it might not be an issue. But I just wanted to point out some of the questions IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE.
    Sorry for the double post, but my sister is in London, and she told me that she heard/read (sorry, can't remember which because we talked about this quite a bit and this was just one thing she told me) that the British government is consulting with the Australian government regarding possible fraud charges for impersonation on the phone and breaching national security by releasing unapproved medical information about a member of the Royal Family publicly.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post

ETA: Bee stung lips - I respectfully disagree with you with regards to the intent of these DJs. To provide amusement to yourself at the expense of another is a form of bullying. Just because they and all the other dumb DJs that do similar stunts find it hilarious, does NOT mean that the recipient/unwilling participant does. Also - they couldn't have been so idiotic to think that there wouldn't have been any possible career ramifications for this nurse? She could have been fired or reprimanded and for them to think that putting someone in that position is okay shows they are morally low. They didn't care what happened to her or whoever they ended up speaking with. They only cared about themselves, their ratings, their show, their popularity. Much like every bully out there.
    While I agree that pranks are mostly irresponsible, I simply do not agree that each and every prank carried out on someone else equates to bullying as many pranks are harmless. Had the DJ's thought further ahead, weighed all the pros and cons, (which they probably didn't), they'd have considered the possibility that someone might lose their job over it. Their judgements were more than likely clouded by the desire for ratings etc. If, in my opinion, they're guilty of anything, that would be it.

But I truthfully don't think they thought the phone call would even make it that far. Just as the DJ's from the Montreal prank a few years ago didn't think theirs would get that far.

In regards to what constitutes as bullying, and certainly not to trivialize the tragedy of the nurse taking her own life, but just as an observation: I had an instance at work a few weeks ago, where a coworker of mine who works in a different unit than myself, told me that she overheard the supervisor of one of the other units of our department, (who'd brought in a box of donuts for her immediate staff), telling her staff that since she'd only bought enough donuts for them, to make sure they each took one. My coworker from the other unit came and told me what she'd heard the other unit supervisor saying to her staff, and told me she felt like it was a form of bullying toward her. I was stunned as I truly could not believe she'd even remotely consider likes of her and myself being excluded from being offered donuts because we didn't work in that particular unit, as a form of bullying. The supervisor brought the donuts in as a token of thanks to her own immediate staff. No harm done.

Again, I know the above example is a far cry from the DJ prank / nurse tragedy, and comparing its seriousness to my example, the tragedy probably does lend itself more to a form of bullying in that regard. But I'm still not wholly convinced there was any harmful intent behind the DJ's actions.

That said, I'd hope we're not coming to a place in this world where we're all tippy-toeing around each other for fear of simple, harmless actions or statements being misconstrued as bullying. That's just how I feel.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Agreed, Fanny Mare. Pranks among friends who enjoy are okay with me and not my business. In any other case, I don't find them amusing, or entertaining. I didn't like Ashton Kutscher's tv show, nor did I like Alan Funt's show 50 years earlier. I find them to be cruel and unkind.
    I never minded Candid Camera, back when it was on, everyone I knew was dying to get on the show. There have been others and I would say most of them aren't so bad, like anything some things cross the line as did this. Prank calling when a woman is fighting morning sickness so severe she is in the hospital isn't a funny or potentially funny situation.
    chrisg and JavaJo like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Prank calling when a woman is fighting morning sickness so severe she is in the hospital isn't a funny or potentially funny situation.
    There's nothing funny about cruel pranks. Nothing. And this disrupted a hospital in the business of saving lives that, due to the hour, had a nurse covering the phones rather than the switchboard operator that was aware not to transfer calls to Kate's room.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    But I'm still not wholly convinced there was any harmful intent behind the DJ's actions.

That said, I'd hope we're not coming to a place in this world where we're all tippy-toeing around each other for fear of simple, harmless actions or statements being misconstrued as bullying. That's just how I feel.
    I just don't see how this is both a harmless thing and something where people admittedly acted irresponsibly at the the same time. Irresponsible actions can lead to horrible outcomes, regardless of intent, which is why it is a positive goal to strive to not be irresponsible.

This also wasn't a simple transferring of a call, it was an international incident, complete with public humiliation.

And, beyond that, I am going to agree to disagree because it is clear people see this differently, so I'll leave it at that except to say that -- because people experience things differently -- an offense that one person may be able to just totally brush off may be something which drives another person to feel they can never overcome it, and what one kid considers just annoying bullying may be the same environment another kid cannot live another day with. And that's because we do all experience things differently and perceive things differently and respond to things differently and I think it is important to remember that, as a society, and be as kind and display as much empathy as possible to one another because, IMO, that is an integral part of being a responsible member of society.
    Florimel and ness like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I never minded Candid Camera, back when it was on, everyone I knew was dying to get on the show. There have been others and I would say most of them aren't so bad, like anything some things cross the line as did this. Prank calling when a woman is fighting morning sickness so severe she is in the hospital isn't a funny or potentially funny situation.
    I agree. Candid Camera was just about people reacting to something silly or unexpected, and I'm sure that the show had to have a release signed by those involved prior to airing anything, so those who were shown on the show knew their reactions would be shown and were fine with it. That's not the case here. Regardless of whether she's royalty or not, no woman should have to worry about having anyone call the hospital to inquire about her medical condition with the express purpose of simultaneously broadcasting it to the world. It's just not, well, polite. And it's not especially funny either.

If the radio show had done a skit--ala something SNL or Monty Python might have done--it probably would have been funnier. If it were clearly making fun, not of Kate's illness, but of the obsession with knowing every detail of it, when it really isn't anyone's business, then it would even have had a point. But this was just dumb. I didn't think it was even vaguely entertaining, at least what I heard of it--and it wouldn't have been even if the tragedy of the nurse's suicide hadn't followed it.

It's only an "international incident" because the media made it so. The woman in question only transferred a call, and her death is only news because of a very indirect link to the British Royals. I fail to see how SHE was humiliated - no one would have been the least bit interested in her if she was still alive. And as a front-line hospital employee, I can assure everyone here that we get many, many, many ridiculous phone calls every hour of every day - frankly, a radio prank would be a welcome relief.

Besides, any hospital employee with half a brain in his or her head knows not to release information over the phone without knowing with absolute certainty the identity of the person doing the asking, not to mention that the person asking has a right to the information. The dead nurse only transferred the call - the stupid one was the "private nurse" who thought that Queen Elizabeth actually picked up the phone and called the hospital herself to inquire about her granddaughter-in-law. The wronged party here is Kate Middleton, whose "private nurse" chatted about her puke cycle on the phone.

As a final note - no, it wasn't funny. It was lame and unimaginative. Never heard a funny radio prank in my life, come to think of it. If radio DJs were actually funny, they would be making better money doing standup or comedy writing. (Well, there is a morning guy in my city whose show is pretty entertaining, but he certainly doesn't do prank calls.)
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    The radio show has been canceled. TMZ reported that those DJ's have a history of pranks that have gone wrong:
    Now, TMZ is crying hypocrisy about the station pulling the show, but I'm not sure. While the stunts above were serious, they didn't result in someone killing themselves. It all just comes back to what I posted about upthread: it doesn't matter what their intention was. Things don't happen in a vacuum and you can't predict how someone will react. Like I (and someone else) mentioned uptherad as well, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the nurse could have been fired - we've seen it happen before in cases of confidentiality breaches at hospitals. They had to have known that, but didn't care. Sorry, but I can't consider anything a harmless prank - even in the planning stages - if it has the potential to get an innocent person fired.

I'm sure those DJ's ARE crying their eyes out, but not out of remorse over anything but how it affected THEM financially.

ETA: Also, according to TMZ, that "prank" was signed off on by the bosses, so they shouldn't get off scott free either.
    Kyle and Jackie O (from the article you posted, it didn't copy over) are different DJs, not the ones involved with the royal phone call prank. Same radio station.
    Last edited by CCL; 12-10-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    Sorry for the double post, but my sister is in London, and she told me that she heard/read (sorry, can't remember which because we talked about this quite a bit and this was just one thing she told me) that the British government is consulting with the Australian government regarding possible fraud charges for impersonation on the phone and breaching national security by releasing unapproved medical information about a member of the Royal Family publicly.
    Sorry for the double post but I couldn't quote two.
    There is apparently a law applying to commonwealth countries, of which Australia is one, that makes impersonating a member of the royal family illegal. I don't think, in the end, the DJs will face charges though I can see them facing civil lawsuits. While I think the prank was stupid/in poor taste, I do think that the DJs could not have foreseen this outcome, and they do seem genuinely distraught. The DJs did seem to be making a lot of effort to point out that they just made
    the call, that's what they do, and it is up to station to decide whether to air it. The blame-shifting was a bit irritating, though I do think the station, and the lawyers who cleared the spot, do have some blame to shoulder.

A few people mentioned Candid Camera. Peter Funt of that show had an interesting article about this situation in the NY Times on the weekend. I believe the article is behind their pay wall, but here is an article that mentions some of the salient points : http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/w...o-122653316171
    Last edited by CCL; 12-10-2012 at 11:17 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread