+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4537Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I'm uncomfortable with the notion that the only one to blame is the person who committed suicide and that she "chose" to do that, regardless of how it would hurt her family. If you accept the idea that this woman committed an irrational act for reasons none of us really knows at this point--and maybe no one will ever know, if she kept whatever previous distress she might have been feeling to herself--then it wasn't really a choice, because she wasn't mentally or emotionally in a position to make an actual decision in the way that most people do, by logically considering the ramifications of her actions. If she were in a bad enough state, she might honestly have felt it was best for her family/friends if she were gone as well as alleviating whatever pain she was feeling herself by committing suicide.

I know it would be easier if there were someone/something that we could clearly blame in this situation, but it may not be possible. I personally think what the DJs did was incredibly stupid and really not even funny, so I'm not sure what the point of the prank was. I'm also surprised that the security with regard to Kate's medical information was so lax (as someone else pointed out, the hospitals I've dealt with have stricter rules about releasing private information about any patient, much less the information of a public figure), but I don't know what the normal procedure is at British hospitals either. And I'm sad that this nurse felt that what she'd done was something with which she could no longer live and that the people who cared about her now have to deal with her death. But it seems to me that there's too many circumstances piling up here that we may not fully understand yet. Or perhaps ever will.
    I don't disagree with you. I sort of compare it to the "eggshell plaintiff", legally speaking. That means when you break the law and someone gets hurt, you sort of take them as you get them. For example, if I got into a small fender bender (that normally would result in little or no injury) with someone and it is my fault, and that someone say, has epileptic seizures and has a severe one triggered by the accident. Well, I can be held responsible for what happens. Same situation here. Problem is that it doesn't appear the DJs broke any law, or I'm sure we would be hearing about it now. While they weren't necessarily responsible for her making her decision, at the end of the day, they set a course of events into play that resulted in her death. I think they will absolutely feel heat from this, even if it is only public backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    From a lawyer's perspective (and please don't hate me!!): when clients come to me wanting me to review things I am only reviewing them to make sure no laws are being broken, which is probably what the lawyer's were doing here - including making sure there weren't issues because a third party's voice was on the phone. I can tell you that I can talk to my client's until I am blue in the face about what a bad idea something is and that I wouldn't advise that they proceed. But at the end of the day, that's all it is - advice, that the client can choose to follow or not. I can't control what my client's do - I can only warn them of the potential ramifications - which I assume the lawyer's did in this case.
    Gotcha, and "Thanks!" (as usual, LOL!).

Oh, and BTW . . .

Hate you???

Please.

Just who is it that we around here call or depend on to check in and comment when there's something hanging in the wind that there's a legal slant on?

Facts are facts: It's either YOU, or POPPY!

It SURE as hell ain't GHOSTBUSTERS!!!!!!

Last edited by ness; 12-08-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    KatesMom and BlondeOne like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

This whole thing is such a tragic turn of events. What KM is talking about is somewhat similar to the concept of reckless endangerment and I think legal accountability is a valid point in this situation but a somewhat semantic one because I think the larger issue with regard to this tragedy is what is acceptable on public airwaves in a civilized society. And that’s because these weren’t two private individuals taking on a private prank – they were on public airwaves that are supported by advertising revenue and I strongly believe it is up to people to demand accountability with regard to that and that, if we take that challenge on societally, we will see much less reckless BS on public airwaves -- be it pranks like this or Rush Limbaugh spewing racism against our first African American president in a country with a tragic history of racial violence.

And I can see how this particular circumstance would be difficult to foresee, but when you engage in reckless, juvenile behavior things can spiral out of control and when that reckless, juvenile behavior is allowed not only by this radio station, but by whatever the Australian version of the FCC is and supported by whatever advertisers buy ad space on this radio show, those are the direct avenues of accountability and pressure should rightfully be brought to bear on them. I mean, what if Kate was put on the phone and got upset and had a miscarriage? Sure, that seems unlikely but no more unlikely than this tragic scenario seemed a few days ago. And most protocols and security systems can breach because human beings are fallible and that’s obviously what the radio DJs were counting on -- or at least hoping for -- otherwise they wouldn’t have even bothered to engage in the prank in the first place.

And while Jacintha, the nurse in this tragedy, may have had other distressing personal issues, one thing that I think is often understandably difficult for Americans to grasp about British society, since we don’t have a Monarchy, is how much the British Royal Family is still deeply, deeply revered by many in Great Britain and that many of them consider themselves British Subjects, almost as a badge of honor and with a deep sense of duty.

The British press is reporting that Jacintha’s neighbors often referred to her as "the Nurse to the Queen", and I don’t think that is because she literally had ever been a nurse to the queen but merely because she worked at King Edward VII hospital where the BRF is often treated. And the first thing I thought of when I heard about this tragedy was the Japanese concept of hara-kiri -- the philosophy behind which I think played some role in this tragedy although we may never know to what extent -- and the second thing I thought of is how terrible it is to have a great sense of honor in a global society that increasingly has so little. Just very, very, very sad.
    ness likes this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Assuming the woman heard the doctor's warnings about the danger of consuming that much water, she should have given serious consideration to their words, since they are the experts in that sort of thing. And if she did hear them speak to the serious potential dangers, and still chose to drink that amount of water just the same, ultimately she is the one to blame for what happened to her, as horrible as it was.

The DJ's in the water tragedy, and the DJ's of the prank call were most definitely irresponsible, yes, but i don't think they should be held accountable for either of the deaths in these situations.
    The people called in explaining the dangers and IIRC, they didn't pass those warnings on OR poo-poo'ed them and told the contestants they'd continue. They had a responsibility to research things before putting on that contest and they bear some responsibility in the outcome.

I'll reiterate that the intention doesn't matter. Most people don't intend to do something that will result in someone's death. However, things like this are a lesson in the fact that we don't exist in a bubble. Our words and actions have an effect and just because a person doesn't mean harm, doesn't mean they don't DO harm.

I don't care about legality. What I'm talking about is being a responsible and KIND person in the world. Why would you crank call a hospital and try to get confidential medical information in the first place? How is that funny? Did they not think that the medical professionals at that hospital had better things to do? The idiocy is stunning.

Maybe the woman's co-workers and employers were fine about it, but if you do some searches online, you'll see that she was vilified and ridiculed. How many of us who are perfectly stable could deal with that?

Sorry, but I think those DJ's bear some responsibility. Whether or not they are legally responsible isn't the issue for me. Even if this terrible thing hadn't happened, it's possible that, depending on the hospital and how the royal family responded, she could have lost her job, which is something I'm sure those DJ's didn't think about. We've seen stories about hospital employees being fired for breaching confidentiality rules before. It's not out of the realm of possibility that a prank like that could have lost someone their job.
    Florimel, ness, chrisg and 1 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I agree entirely with Crit that this issue is much wider than whether individuals are legally responsible when something is being done fully in the public domain with the full advance knowledge of the radio station.

And if since they have legal teams assessing the legal accountability of given scenarios in advance, then surely they can assemble some basic common sense teams as well to tell these people that they are being reckless and stupid and that this could be harmful in some unintended way.

And then that team should be given the authority by the radio station to put an end to idiocy like this before it ever makes it to the public airwaves.
    ness likes this.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I just saw a short clip of a reporter asking Prince Charles how he felt about the pregnancy. Charles first response was, "How do you know I'm not a radio station?"

He went on to say he's thrilled to be a Grandfather and "their" girl is getting better.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    I agree entirely with Crit that this issue is much wider than whether individuals are legally responsible when something is being done fully in the public domain with the full advance knowledge of the radio station.

And if since they have legal teams assessing the legal accountability of given scenarios in advance, then surely they can assemble some basic common sense teams as well to tell these people that they are being reckless and stupid and that this could be harmful in some unintended way.

And then that team should be given the authority by the radio station to put an end to idiocy like this before it ever makes it to the public airwaves.
    Could NOT have been stated better.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I just saw a short clip of a reporter asking Prince Charles how he felt about the pregnancy. Charles first response was, "How do you know I'm not a radio station?"

He went on to say he's thrilled to be a Grandfather and "their" girl is getting better.
    He's always had a sense of humor, the press didn't know how to react. Loved it
    Hyper likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeOne View Post
    On a little different note...I have seem all of this stuff about what the baby will be named. I don't like any of them LOL. If it is a girl her name should be Diana. I feel very strongly about it. Good thing I am not royalty because they would disown me for never following the rules LOL.
    All the names have been supposition I believe. Not that they're going to ask me but I would not want the baby named Diana. Kate already has to wear Diana's engagement ring (a ring from a failed marriage and that doesn't really seem to fit with her personal style), she gets compared to Diana incessantly (including with regards to having a baby in the first place....all the articles about her pregnancy mentioned how long after her marriage Diana got pregnant, the maternity clothes Diana wore etc). It's too
    much; she should be able to have something that is hers.
    ness, Hyper, JulieAnn and 2 others like this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

She can always try Shontaquita.
    mom2, ness, bee stung lips and 2 others like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread