+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4946Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Well, in all fairness, the Twilight books weren't written for adults. If you're a grown adult and don't like a YA book well, you aren't really the target audience.
    I may not have been the target audience for the Harry Potter books or films, but they grabbed me immediately. I found them much more interesting than books written for & about adults. In that case it definitely was about quality writing and quality movie making.
    In fact, they are what got me back into reading again.

As to Twilight, I agree the first movie wasn't great, but they've improved a lot. Probably because with popularity of the series, bigger movie budgets followed. I've enjoyed the 3 I've seen, more with each movie, & am looking forward to seeing the last 2.
    Florimel likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I may not have been the target audience for the Harry Potter books or films, but they grabbed me immediately. I found them much more interesting than books written for & about adults. In that case it definitely was about quality writing and quality movie making.
    In fact, they are what got me back into reading again.

As to Twilight, I agree the first movie wasn't great, but they've improved a lot. Probably because with popularity of the series, bigger movie budgets followed. I've enjoyed the 3 I've seen, more with each movie, & am looking forward to seeing the last 2.
    Agree 100%. I thought the HP movies were done really well. So were the LOTR books and The Hunger Games. The Twilight movies end up being a bit cheesy - the first one definitely being the worst. I agree they have gotten a bit better, but all of them still have this cheesy vibe to them. I don't know why that is, because it is possible to do YA movies in a way that is attractive to adults just as much as teens. I still see all the movies and look forward to them. But I have been watching some of the HP movies lately on HBO and I am struck by how good they really are compared to the Twilight movies.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Agree 100%. I thought the HP movies were done really well. So were the LOTR books and The Hunger Games. The Twilight movies end up being a bit cheesy - the first one definitely being the worst. I agree they have gotten a bit better, but all of them still have this cheesy vibe to them. I don't know why that is, because it is possible to do YA movies in a way that is attractive to adults just as much as teens. I still see all the movies and look forward to them. But I have been watching some of the HP movies lately on HBO and I am struck by how good they really are compared to the Twilight movies.
    Absolutely.

Even with all the editing they had to do on the HP movie adaptations from the books, they are stellar. I very, VERY seldom like a movie adaptation of a popular book. The HP movies are some of those extremely rare ones that I do. The Twilight movie series? Not so much. Couldn't even make it all the way through the first movie. Skipped the others. DID see "Breaking Dawn I", thought it was OK. Will probably go see "BD II".

Or wait 'til it comes out on DVD.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Just saw, on a crawl, where Jermaine Jackson is petitioning the court to change his last name to "Jacksun". WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE???
    bee stung lips likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Does the court happen to have a stamp that just says "STUPID" they can put on that petition? Or is that not considered a legal ruling yet?

Considering the kind of father Joe Jackson apparently was, I'm surprised none of them has done that sooner.
    JulieAnn likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Just saw, on a crawl, where Jermaine Jackson is petitioning the court to change his last name to "Jacksun". WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE???
    Unfortunately, Jermaine has always been a few books shy of a library, so I'm not at all surprised at this. He's been living in his own alternate universe for years.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I'm not surprised at anything that clan does.

Has anybody seen Brad Pitt's furniture line? Yes, really. Not exactly my taste, but not awful. Certainly out of my price range, though!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I'm not surprised at anything that clan does.

Has anybody seen Brad Pitt's furniture line? Yes, really. Not exactly my taste, but not awful. Certainly out of my price range, though!
    Shabby chic by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Considering the kind of father Joe Jackson apparently was, I'm surprised none of them has done that sooner.
    It wouldn't seem so ridiculous if he wanted to change it to a totally different name, like Jermaine Jones or something. But this is just a waste of the court's time. And everyone else's for that matter.
    My question is why????? It makes no sense.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread