+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3913Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Can you imagine that poor kid's frustration when she's asked to write her down her whole name on her papers/exams?
    Let's not forget how it'll appear on her birth certificate. Geesh, they'll have to widen the paper just to fit it all on. I mean, is that many names really necessary? So what if each one means something to you, pick to or three and move on for heaven's sakes.

Sad that celebrities naming their kids nowadays has become such an ego-driven act.
    NEPASue likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Let's not forget how it'll appear on her birth certificate. Geesh, they'll have to widen the paper just to fit it all on. I mean, is that many names really necessary? So what if each one means something to you, pick to or three and move on for heaven's sakes.

Sad that celebrities naming their kids nowadays has become such an ego-driven act.
    And her driver's license, diplomas, passport...yikes. And forget ever fitting it all on a personalized Christmas ornament....
    libgirl2 and bee stung lips like this.

That's just one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of!
    I don't care what you want to call yourself but leave your attention-seeking ego out of your child's name, for gosh sakes!
    bee stung lips, NEPASue and Coco46 like this.

Have you seen how long Charo's actual name is? Sometimes it has nothing to do with ego - it's about honoring various family members... or it's cultural.

I don't see anything wrong with the name.
    Florimel, Rattus and MsDiva2007 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yeah, I don't really get the problem. I've met plenty of people who sport multiple middle names and I've never felt compelled to cast a jaundiced eye at their ordinary ol' non-celebrity parents.
    Florimel likes this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I don't mind multiple middle names but I don't understand the practice of using one of the middle names, or in this case a nickname for one of the middle names, as what the child/person is primarily called. I thought Rosalind was pretty. Why use that as the first name if that's not what you want to call the child? Make Altalune the first name, do the rest, and then use the nn of Luna.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

As a cultural tradition, I've known a number of people who name their child according tradition in that the first name relates somehow to a family member, living or deceased, depending on the culture, but they don't really love that first name. So they pick a middle name that they do love, and go by that.
    Florimel likes this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Many of the people on my family tree went by their middle name. It's just a cultural thing
    Florimel likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    That's just one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of!
    I don't care what you want to call yourself but leave your attention-seeking ego out of your child's name, for gosh sakes!
    All that, and they call her Luna
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Maybe SHE'LL let them know what she is to be called!
    libgirl2 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread