+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4543Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    If there were ever a reason for someone to change his/her name (I have no idea what gender "Hideous" would be associated with, since I would hope it's not a frequently used first name), that would be it. I sincerely hope that the student has a nickname that's been in use for years. Can you imagine how dreadful it would be for his/her teachers to have to use that name in class? They would end up feeling as if they were calling one of their students a derogatory name all the time.

A number of years ago, I was at a church service where someone had a child baptized "Rowdy Dean." I always thought that was bad, simply because it was the kind of moniker that practically screamed what they expected of the child's behavior (what if poor little Rowdy grew up to be shy and quiet by nature?), but Hideous is way worse.
    Way, way worse. I showed my coworkers and none of us could believe anyone would name their kid, Hideous. Someone suggested maybe it's pronounced differently, as in Hyde-e-us. But come on...really? The actual spelling of the name on the application was "Hideous".
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Way, way worse. I showed my coworkers and none of us could believe anyone would name their kid, Hideous. Someone suggested maybe it's pronounced differently, as in Hyde-e-us. But come on...really? The actual spelling of the name on the application was "Hideous".
    Even if it's pronounced differently, they've stuck their child with needing to spend the rest of his/her life explaining the pronunciation. I know a student teacher who had a student named Le--a. The teacher called her Leah, and the child seemed okay with that, so he assumed he had gotten it right. Her angry mother finally came to school one day, however and said it was Ledasha--the dash was pronounced. Really, I think if you're going to have punctuation within a name and expect it to be pronounced, you need to warn the teacher ahead of time, because the student teacher felt bad at having offended the parent unintentionally, especially when the mother explained that she was upset because her daughter had cried because "teacher" didn't call her by her right name (the girl was a very young elementary school teacher, so she may have felt awkward telling the teacher he was pronouncing her name wrong).

My legal name is, and always has been, a diminutive, because my parents didn't like the name from which it was derived and figured they'd never call me that anyway, so why name me that? It's not an unusual name, but I (and my mother) spent many years of elementary school explaining to the principal, teachers etc. that my name really was that. It drove me nuts when a new teacher insisted that that's just what they called me, and that it wasn't my "real" name, because I knew it was my real name--and was precocious enough to think the teacher ought to understand that I knew my proper, legal name. Even as an adult, I've sometimes had to produce a driver's license to prove that my name really is what it is--and it's a perfectly common diminutive of a perfectly common name. So I feel for any kid who is stuck in the position of having to explain his/her name and/or its pronunciation. On the other hand, I suppose if your name is "Hideous," it toughens you up right quick. Or destroys your self esteem equally quickly.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Even if it's pronounced differently, they've stuck their child with needing to spend the rest of his/her life explaining the pronunciation. I know a student teacher who had a student named Le--a. The teacher called her Leah, and the child seemed okay with that, so he assumed he had gotten it right. Her angry mother finally came to school one day, however and said it was Ledasha--the dash was pronounced. Really, I think if you're going to have punctuation within a name and expect it to be pronounced, you need to warn the teacher ahead of time, because the student teacher felt bad at having offended the parent unintentionally, especially when the mother explained that she was upset because her daughter had cried because "teacher" didn't call her by her right name (the girl was a very young elementary school teacher, so she may have felt awkward telling the teacher he was pronouncing her name wrong).

My legal name is, and always has been, a diminutive, because my parents didn't like the name from which it was derived and figured they'd never call me that anyway, so why name me that? It's not an unusual name, but I (and my mother) spent many years of elementary school explaining to the principal, teachers etc. that my name really was that. It drove me nuts when a new teacher insisted that that's just what they called me, and that it wasn't my "real" name, because I knew it was my real name--and was precocious enough to think the teacher ought to understand that I knew my proper, legal name. Even as an adult, I've sometimes had to produce a driver's license to prove that my name really is what it is--and it's a perfectly common diminutive of a perfectly common name. So I feel for any kid who is stuck in the position of having to explain his/her name and/or its pronunciation. On the other hand, I suppose if your name is "Hideous," it toughens you up right quick. Or destroys your self esteem equally quickly.
    Le---a as the spelling of for Ledasha? OMG...I have truly heard it all. Since when does a dash double as a substitute for a letter in a name? Good God, how ridiculous.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Yeah, I know. I really think it's an unfair burden to place on a child to have to explain that the punctuation in his/her name is pronounced as a word. Or to expect anyone else to figure that out. I know some parents desperately want their children to have unusual, distinctive names, but they need to balance that with the realization that whatever name they choose is one their child--not they themselves--is going to have to live with for the rest of his/her life, unless he/she legally changes it.

In the case of poor little Le--a, the child ended up in tears and the student teacher felt dreadful when he found out that he had caused a little girl such grief, even if it was completely unintentional. I wonder if she had learned, even at a very early age, that people were going to react oddly to the spelling of her name and had already given up on correcting people about it or if she was just too timid to tell an adult, especially her brand new teacher, that he was wrong. It was the beginning of the term, so the teacher in charge didn't correct the student teacher because she thought he was pronouncing it correctly too.

I don't get how things work nowadays.....The mother names her child something extremely odd, and, if you expect your child to be called by their real name....an explanation is due BEFORE the child attends school....Why should the teacher feel bad for trying to do the best he could do, given the limited info?
    It's good ol' mom who should not be expecting people to read her mind and call this poor child by her unusual rightful name....poor kid...
    mom2 likes this.

Le---a = LEDASHA????

You know what?

All of a sudden, celebrity kid names like: Bluebell, Moon Unit, Jermajesty, Banjo, Pilot Inspektor, and so on, are suddenly beginning to seem as normal to me as Jane, Sally, Bobby, Tommy, etc.

Wow.

I once worked in a school system office. One day, one of the the school psychologists came in, shaking her head. I asked her what was wrong. Seems she'd been dispatched to a school to investigate a home situation problem with a couple of kids. She told me that not only was there a family problem, but she'd had her hair blown back by what the actual, legal names of the kids were.

I gave her a "Huh?" look.

She told me the names.

My mouth dropped. I told her to her face that she was lying.

She PROVED it.

Let me try to put it as PG as I possibly can . . .

The children were named after instantly recognizable diseases.

Those were those kids' legal names.

And I only hope they got them legally changed later on.

Dandelion? Wolfgang? Fuchsia?

Tame.

BELIEVE me, TAME.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Ness, please tell me they weren't named after venereal diseases.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

My husband works in a school where a boy and girl twins are named female and male pronounced fe mal a and mal a. It is the most luducrous thing ever. There was also a pair of siblings named Lemonjello and orangejello. They were pronounced la mon ja lo and o ran ja lo, but you can see with the spelling the problems they encountered. Truly awful to saddle your children with that for life.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Sam Champion, the weatherman on GMA, decided to finally "come out" today when he announced that he was engaged to his boyfriend.

He is adorable/gorgeous, with one of the greatest laughs I've ever heard. He's 51, but doesn't look like it at all.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I love Sam!

And no, he DOESN'T look 51!

DAMNIT!

I'm very happy for Sam and his SO!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread