+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4543Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    The closest I get to "Olive" in my family is my grandfather's name was "Oliver".
    That's my problem childs name( the youngest dog I have )
    libgirl2 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Apple? Zuma? Moxie Crimefighter? Kal-El?

I salute you, FM.

"Olive" doesn't do a lot for me.

But, then again, there ARE way worse names out there!!!!
    I love all those names!!

I always wanted to name my daughter (never had one though) Ludmilla.... no I am not Russian.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

At least Olive is a name that does have some history as a name--and it's easy enough to pronounce and it's not likely to get misspelled either (unless someone spells it Olivia instead). It also has an obvious possible nickname (Liv) if the child decides she doesn't like it when she grows up.

My sisters grew up with a classmate named Voris Spittle. I always thought that was an unfortunate moniker with which to live.

I'm watching the baseball playoffs right now. There are a number of players I don't know on teams I don't follow. But, as I read the lineup for the Oakland Athletics, I see that their lead off batter's name is Coco Crisp. I looked him up and found that his real first name is Covelli and he's had the nickname since he was a child. It just struck my funny bone as I imagined the ballpark announcer saying, "Now, leading off is center fielder, Coco Crisp."
    JulieAnn and Coco46 like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    At least Olive is a name that does have some history as a name--and it's easy enough to pronounce and it's not likely to get misspelled either
    you'd be surprised at how lazy people are about spelling/pronouncing names....I grew up with a very Italian last name so often it was mispronounced/spelled wrong.....understandable.
    But when I married my ex, with the last name of Freeman....I thought all those problems would be gone.
    How wrong I was!
    Constantly asked how to spell/ was it Friedman?/was there 2 E's? Was it one word? etc etc.
    I thought nothing could be easier - Free or Man.
    Never underestimate people and how they think.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

I work at a university in the registrar's office and a student's admissions application came across my desk one day whose first name was Hideous. I kid you not. Couldn't believe it.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I work at a university in the registrar's office and a student's admissions application came across my desk one day whose first name was Hideous. I kid you not. Couldn't believe it.
    If there were ever a reason for someone to change his/her name (I have no idea what gender "Hideous" would be associated with, since I would hope it's not a frequently used first name), that would be it. I sincerely hope that the student has a nickname that's been in use for years. Can you imagine how dreadful it would be for his/her teachers to have to use that name in class? They would end up feeling as if they were calling one of their students a derogatory name all the time.

A number of years ago, I was at a church service where someone had a child baptized "Rowdy Dean." I always thought that was bad, simply because it was the kind of moniker that practically screamed what they expected of the child's behavior (what if poor little Rowdy grew up to be shy and quiet by nature?), but Hideous is way worse.
    bee stung lips likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Maybe Rowdy was named after the Clint Eastwood character, Rowdy Yates.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Maybe Rowdy was named after the Clint Eastwood character, Rowdy Yates.
    Or professional wrestler Rowdy Roddy Piper.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread