+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4618Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Isn't Olive an older name that used to be quite popular?
    There was a movie out where the little girl was named Olive. I think it was the one where she entered a beauty pageant and her grandfather died after helping her with the talent portion......Little Miss Sunshine, I think.

Also, Marie Osmond and her mother (deceased) are both named Olive.

I really wish some parents would think about how much trouble correcting the spelling of their child's name will be for the child as they grow into adulthood. Mine is a little different in spelling, but I have had to correct people my entire life or just let it go. But, you can't let it go with things for school, college, business, licenses, etc. I just don't see any benefit to having an odd spelling to your name.

FORT Fogey

I love the name Olive! My mother wanted that for my name; is was my great grandmother's. My father nixed it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My grandmother was named Cyrillia; she was named after her father, Cyril. I have no idea who came up with that one.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have a very common surname of Scandanavian origin. Of the two most common ways of spelling my name, mine is by far the most common in this country - judging by the phone book by a ratio of 20 to 1. Nevertheless, 97% of people who spell my name without asking spell it the second most common way. That's people for you - if something can be spelled wrong, it will be.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I prefer Olivia to Olive, but Olive isn't the worst name I've heard.

I like when an ethnic first name is paired with an ethnic surname. For example, Francesca Sabatini ( a made-up name) sounds pleasing to me, but Francesca O'Malley sounds not quite as pleasing. My surname is Italian but my sons are Michael and Matthew, nothing out of the ordinary there. I also like many of the Biblical names.
    One other thing I wanted to add is that sometimes, especially in ethnic families, children get saddled with names even the parents hesitate to bestow on them. Italian-American tradition dictates that first son is named for paternal grandfather, first daughter is named for paternal grandfather, next boy is after maternal grandfather, next girl is after maternal grandmother. So, essentially, you need to have a fifth child to choose a name that you want. In my case, my husband had a son already and my dad told me to do what I wanted so we broke with tradition. Sorry for the thread hijack.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Sweet Fancy Moses!!! "Olive"! What a rotten thing to do to a kid.
    Its not so bad, if you picture it as a name and not sitting in a martini or on the end of a toothpick.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    I like when an ethnic first name is paired with an ethnic surname. For example, Francesca Sabatini ( a made-up name) sounds pleasing to me, but Francesca O'Malley sounds not quite as pleasing. My surname is Italian but my sons are Michael and Matthew, nothing out of the ordinary there. I also like many of the Biblical names.
    One other thing I wanted to add is that sometimes, especially in ethnic families, children get saddled with names even the parents hesitate to bestow on them. Italian-American tradition dictates that first son is named for paternal grandfather, first daughter is named for paternal grandfather, next boy is after maternal grandfather, next girl is after maternal grandmother. So, essentially, you need to have a fifth child to choose a name that you want. In my case, my husband had a son already and my dad told me to do what I wanted so we broke with tradition. Sorry for the thread hijack.
    Thank GAWD my parents didn't go this route. I would have been Ernesta for sure (my Dad did actually suggest this). If I followed this, my first daughter would have been Edwina. Some traditions are meant to be broken.

And to stay on topic - I like Olive. It's sweet and not overly trendy a la Olivia.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Actually, I read somewhere that she did use the name because she played Olive :-)
    Huh. Thanks for the info, TripleGemini!
    I kind of love the ReJoyce thing...
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Isn't Olive an older name that used to be quite popular?
    Both my grandmother and great-grandmother's middle names were Olive so it has wonderful connotations for me.

My youngest niece is named after her two grandmother's middle names so she has a very old-fashioned but sweet name...and "Alice" fits her perfectly.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The closest I get to "Olive" in my family is my grandfather's name was "Oliver".
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread