+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4617Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Agreed, ness. There will ALWAYS be paparazzi and celebrity-focused mags, TV shows, websites. I think the problem is that there aren't strict enough laws, particularly in this country, to regulate their behavior. I think pics of children should be off-limits and any moments on private property like what happened with Catherine in France, should be banned. I also think the car chasing paps should be arrested and/or ticketed AND their employers should fire them, if they work for a specific company. If they're freelancers, no one should be allowed to buy their pics. It would be a start, at least. I don't think ANYONE needs a pic of Justin Bieber driving on the 405, period, but especially not one that was obtained in a high-speed car chase that endangers hundreds of other people.

Speaking of paparazzi and celebrities. I love this story. Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield came out of a NY restaurant where they had just eaten and where a herd of paps was waiting for them. Instead of running, they held up signs:

Emma's sign: We just found out that there are paparazzi outside the restaurant we were eating in so... why not take this ->
    Andrew's sign: opportunity to bring attention to organizations that need and deserve it? www. wwo.org and www. gildasclubnyc.org. Have A Great Day!

What a great way to use the paps for something positive!
    Open Post: Hosted By Emma Stone & Spider-Man Saving The World With Their Signs | Dlisted (<--- not a PG-13 site, so if you're easily offended, you might not want to click)
    Florimel, ness, AmyKay and 1 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Agreed, ness. There will ALWAYS be paparazzi and celebrity-focused mags, TV shows, websites.
    There wouldn't be if the general public wouldn't buy them. At least 50% of the blame for all this nonsense belongs with the purchasers and viewers.
    Florimel likes this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    There wouldn't be if the general public wouldn't buy them. At least 50% of the blame for all this nonsense belongs with the purchasers and viewers.
    But even local news has some of the stories. Sex tapes , Lohan arrested, etc etc. I dont buy any rags.I stil seem to know
    bee stung lips likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    But even local news has some of the stories. Sex tapes , Lohan arrested, etc etc. I dont buy any rags.I stil seem to know
    They air that stuff because too many people don't seem to be interested in much beyond celebrity culture. My suggestion is that those who do find paparazzi harassment and invasions of privacy distasteful stop buying into it. It would be nice if there were enough people with an inherent sense of decency that the market for this nonsense would dry up, but unfortunately, to paraphrase H.L. Mencken , "nobody ever went broke underestimating the integrity of the public".
    Florimel likes this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

They air that stuff because too many people don't seem to be interested in much beyond celebrity culture. My suggestion is that those who do find paparazzi harassment and invasions of privacy distasteful stop buying into it. It would be nice if there were enough people with an inherent sense of decency that the market for this nonsense would dry up, but unfortunately, to paraphrase H.L. Mencken , "nobody ever went broke underestimating the integrity of the public".
    Agree. Case in point -HuffPo. I was looking at the mobile site yesterday and clicked "most popular" - and what came up were numerous articles about Kate Middleton's topless photos. It's gone from a news site to TMZ - half their bloggers are celebrities, not journalists or writers, and it seems like there's way more celebrity culture than articles about the fricking presidential election that is coming up in only a couple of months.
    JunkieGirl likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Agree. Case in point -HuffPo. I was looking at the mobile site yesterday and clicked "most popular" - and what came up were numerous articles about Kate Middleton's topless photos. It's gone from a news site to TMZ - half their bloggers are celebrities, not journalists or writers, and it seems like there's way more celebrity culture than articles about the fricking presidential election that is coming up in only a couple of months.
    I think it has gotten worse, not better.It seems more people want the salacious stories and photos . If they weren't looking at Huffpo, they would look somewhere else. I dont get it
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Honestly isn't that what we are doing right now? Going to a web site to read about celebrities?
    There's no place like home!

My point is that that is never going to happen. It's just not. Whether you're right or not doesn't matter because people will always buy thos magazines, watch those shows and visit those websites.
    ness likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    My point is that that is never going to happen. It's just not. Whether you're right or not doesn't matter because people will always buy thos magazines, watch those shows and visit those websites.
    I know that it's not going to happen. But because I know why the paparazzi and tabloids purvey what they do, I'm not going to point the finger at them because they are no more to blame than the prurient audience.

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Honestly isn't that what we are doing right now? Going to a web site to read about celebrities?
    Sure, but this IS a tv site. There's a difference between chatting about the famous and trolling for photos of topless royals. If I go to HP or my local paper, I expect news on the front page, not a blog about the size of Jennifer Aniston's engagement ring. I come here because of shared interests, the discussion is good and free from the infantile name-calling and personal attacks that are so prevalent in many other online forums. Read the HP comment section - a lot of the time it's mainly trolls. Waste of time.
    mom2 and ness like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread