+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 1167 FirstFirst ... 195960616263646566676869707172737475767778791191695691069 ... LastLast
Like Tree5276Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Leonardo DiCaprio "Adopts" Child?

Leonardo DiCaprio "Adopts" Child?

Leonardo DiCaprio has "adopted" an African orphan, according to new reports.

New York gossip columnist Cindy Adams claims the movie star is financially supporting a little girl he met while filming 'Blood Diamond' in South Africa.

Adams insists the child will not live with him and DiCaprio will support her with monthly payments.

In a recent TV interview, DiCaprio confessed he had met a special little girl while filming in Mozambique.

He told the TV show Extra, "There was a young girl that was on the movie that I spent a lot of time with."
    Link

I think he would make a good father. He seems grounded enough to stay at home and not be out partying everynight, unlike some other young people in Hollywood.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2195736;
    Link

I think he would make a good father. He seems grounded enough to stay at home and not be out partying everynight, unlike some other young people in Hollywood.
    It'll be just like whe Mike Seaver adopted a foster kid on Growing Pains.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2195450;
    I heard that they were giving up on the gift bags since they were worth a lot of money and the government wanted the celebrities to pay taxes for the gifts. I don't know where I heard it though but it was recently.
    I had heard that they still give out all the gift baskets, but that the celebs are now taxed on its contents. So, maybe some of the celebs now decline to accept them because they don't want to pay taxes on them? I'm guessing people like George Clooney will still accept them and continue to donate them to charities that can raffle them off and raise money for the needy. He will still have to pay taxes on the swag, but I'm guessing he'll also be able to take a write-off on his portion of the donation. He seems like a good egg in that sense.

And regarding DiCaprio "adopting" a child...isn't what he's doing more like "sponsoring" a child? Either way, it's a nice thing he's doing and I hope that little girl is well taken care of.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/en...831652000.html

Hilary Swank Gets Star on Walk of Fame
    Mon Jan 08, 8:22 PM ET

Hilary Swank and her mom came to Hollywood 16 years ago with only $75 in their pockets. On Monday, the two-time Oscar winner received the ultimate sign that the move paid off: a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

"I remember my mom using a roll of quarters to call agents from a pay phone and telling agents they should sign me," said the emotional 32-year-old during the dedication ceremony.

Swank, wearing a sophisticated black sleeveless dress, was flanked by producer Joel Silver and Richard LaGravenese, the director of her new film "Freedom Writers."

In 2000, a then-unknown Swank walked away with the best-actress Oscar for her chilling portrayal of murdered transgender teen Brandon Teena in "Boys Don't Cry."

Five years later, she won another best-actress Oscar as the scrappy and determined boxer Maggie Fitzgerald in "Million Dollar Baby."

Her star is the 2325th on the Walk of Fame.

In "Freedom Writers," Swank plays a real-life Long Beach English teacher whose idealism spurs her to empower teens affected by racial strife.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Hilary Swank and her mom came to Hollywood 16 years ago with only $75 in their pockets.
    I like Hilary Swank. But I always question quotes like this 'cause it sounds like it was told 'cause it makes for a good story and is exaggerated from the truth. I have a hard time believing anyone moves anywhere with less than $100 in their pockets... Maybe they had savings in a bank account somewhere but technically that was all the cash they had with them...

It's like the whole story about Jewel having lived in her car before getting a record deal. That was for like a minute. I can say I lived in my car--when I went on a road trip for a couple weeks. Technically, we did live out of the car 'cause none of us had any money back then for a hotel room!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Megan Mullally's show is being canceled. Oh well..........I don't know anyone that ever watched it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2199834;
    Megan Mullally's show is being canceled. Oh well..........I don't know anyone that ever watched it.
    Yeah, there's a FoRT thread about the show, including the news and comments on it's being cancelled. The thread is here: Megan Mullally's Talk Show
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

From http://news.aol.com/entertainment/tv...00010000000001 Another man who helped creat so many of the beloved cartoons I grew up watching and inspired me to go to school for animation.

Cartoonist Who Created Scooby-Doo Dies
    By DAISY NGUYEN
    AP
    LOS ANGELES (Jan. 9) - Iwao Takamoto, the animator who created the beloved Scooby-Doo and directed the cartoon classic "Charlotte's Web," has died. He was 81.

Takamoto died Monday of heart failure at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Warner Bros. spokesman Gary Miereanu said.

In a career that spanned more than six decades, Takamoto assisted in the designs of some of the biggest animated features and television shows for Disney and the Hanna-Barbera animation team. They included "Cinderella," "Peter Pan," "Lady and the Tramp," "101 Dalmatians," "The Jetsons" and "The Flintstones."

But it was his creation of Scooby-Doo, the cowardly dog with an adventurous heart, that captivated audiences and endured for generations.

Takamoto said he created Scooby-Doo after talking with a Great Dane breeder and named him after Frank Sinatra 's final phrase in "Strangers in the Night."

The breeder "showed me some pictures and talked about the important points of a Great Dane, like a straight back, straight legs, small chin and such," Takamoto said in a recent talk at Cartoon Network Studios.

"I decided to go the opposite and gave him a hump back, bowed legs, big chin and such. Even his color is wrong."

Takamoto also created other famous cartoon dogs such as Astro from "The Jetsons" and Muttley, the mixed-breed that appeared in several Hanna-Barbera animations. He also directed the 1973 feature "Charlotte's Web."

Born in Los Angeles to parents who had emigrated from Japan, Takamoto graduated high school when World War II began. He and his family were sent to the Manzanar internment camp in the California desert, where he learned the art of illustration from fellow internees.

Despite a lack of formal training, he landed an interview with Walt Disney Studios when he returned to Los Angeles and was hired as an apprentice.

Takamoto worked under the tutelage of Disney's "nine old men," the studio's team of legendary animators responsible for its biggest full-length films before moving to Hanna-Barbera Studios in 1961. There he worked on cartoons for television, including "Josie and the Pussy Cats," "The Great Grape Ape Show," "Harlem Globe Trotters" and "The Secret Squirrel Show."

Takamoto was survived by his wife, Barbara, son Michael and stepdaughter Leslie.

Funeral arrangements were pending.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Wow, we seem to be losing a lot of the great old cartoonists these days. On the other hand they seem to live long lives!
    Interesting that he was interned in WWII.

Born in Los Angeles to parents who had emigrated from Japan, Takamoto graduated high school when World War II began. He and his family were sent to the Manzanar internment camp in the California desert, where he learned the art of illustration from fellow internees.
    It's so sad that his family--Americans--were interned during WW II.

On the other hand, had that atrocity not happened, he may not have learned the art of animation. So I'm glad there was at least a silver lining for him.

He seemed to have been a class act. I loved Scooby growing up! And the animated version of "Charlotte's Web" always will be the true film version to me.

May he rest in peace.

+ Reply to Thread