+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4543Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

In the documentary "George Harrison: Living in the Material World," Olivia (his wife) was asked her secret for longevity in marriage. Her answer: "Don't get divorced."

I pondered that one for awhile. She hinted that he'd been unfaithful to her at times, and they weathered those instances together and reaped rewards for it. I found this edifying.

The fact is, as most of us can attest, the "spark" is a tidal kind of thing after many years of marriage. It ebbs and flows and, frequently, you have to work at it. You have to make the effort to sparkle a bit for your spouse, and take the time with each other to allow it to relight the landscape. It's a given.

My mom used to counsel me on this a little. She'd say if you have fallen out of love, you need to fall in love with him again. If you can allow that it is possible, it can happen. She was right. It happened several times thus far in my 40+ year marriage.

I don't propose that anyone stay in a relationship that is abusive and demeaning, but I am staying that people frequently toss out the baby with the bathwater and their kids suffer for it.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

People is reporting that Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively got married today. I'm not sure how to feel about that. I like him a lot, but I think she's kind of a nitwit. Not really a fan of Scarlett Johannsen either. Maybe he's not as deep as I thought and he likes young blondes....he wouldn't be the first!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    People is reporting that Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively got married today. I'm not sure how to feel about that. I like him a lot, but I think she's kind of a nitwit. Not really a fan of Scarlett Johannsen either. Maybe he's not as deep as I thought and he likes young blondes....he wouldn't be the first!
    I agree. His choice of significant others kind of turned me off on the type of person I thought he might have been.
    its_glinda_now likes this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    I agree. His choice of significant others kind of turned me off on the type of person I thought he might have been.
    I think it's sort of like those "Why do______ do ______?" jokes and the answer is "Because they can."

Apparently, he wanted to start a family and Scarlett didn't.....Blake does. Maybe she's a nice girl, but she's never seemed all that deep. They'll definitely make pretty babies.

Honestly though, I feel like everyone after Alanis for him was a huge step down.

ETA: After two potential hit-and-runs this year, Amanda Bynes' license was suspended. Apparently, she got pulled over last night and given a warning for not having her headlights on.....and she didn't get arrested for driving on a suspended license. WTH!? Did the officers just not run her license? I think someone's in trouble today!
    Last edited by Critical; 09-10-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I had no idea who she was. I looked her up. I haven't seen much that she has been in.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I had no idea who she was. I looked her up. I haven't seen much that she has been in.
    While working as a photography assistant in NYC in 2009, my son met her on the set of her show, "Gossip Girl." He had no idea who she was as he does not watch hardly any television. His boss took a cute photo of them together.
    Last edited by Eastcoastmom; 09-10-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    While working as a photography assistant in NYC in 2009, my son met her on the set of her show, "Gossip Girl." He had no idea who she was as he does not watch hardly any television. His boss took a cute photo of them together.
    Oh my! I love it. I'm a huge celebrity hound.

I find myself very much in agreement with you, Debb70 but I see this more and more.
    I think (and know personally) that marriages def initely have their ups and downs and sometimes you just have to ride them out.
    People often think there's someone/something else that's better "out there."
    I just remember what my grandmother used to say "..Better the devil you know."
    Often with a new person you just exchange one set of problems for another.
    But it's possible, I'm just think like the old lady I am.

There is nothing more soul-crushing than living a lie with someone you don't love. Abuse isn't the only reason to leave a marriage.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread