+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4743Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Here's a link to an article about Rosie O'Donnell.

I find the wording "odd" . . . "she says she had a heart attack." It almost sounds as though the article is doubting it was a heart attack. And no doctor actually confirms it. She went to a cardiologist the next day, and they put in a stent. If I googled the symptoms of a heart attack and was concerned enough that I took aspirin (as the article would have recommended), I would have called 911 and/or immediately gone to an emergency room. I think she may have had a blockage, but not all blockage = heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I liked him in the beginning as well, but then it seemed like he was really only capable of playing one character (whether it was Frasier or not, they were all pretty much the same). Then I started to think he wasn't a very good actor and was likely just playing himself....only less
    I will admit that I thought he was quite good as Frasier, but then I saw him in a couple of other things he was in, and wow. Not good at all. Over the top and bombastic, no subtlety at all. And so I think back on the people he worked with on Frasier who were extraordinary, one and all, and realize that they were carrying him.
    JavaJo likes this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

While watching the evening news yesterday, Sharon Alfonsi (ABC News reporter) was talking about Phyllis Diller's death and repeating quotes about Phyllis's death from famous comedians. She did just fine until she said something about what June Rivers had said. I thought my ears were playing tricks on me, so I played it back to see if I heard what I thought I heard. My ears had not lied to me. Where do they get these buffoons? There is no excuse. What an idiot.
    jucamer likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Here's a link to an article about Rosie O'Donnell.

I find the wording "odd" . . . "she says she had a heart attack." It almost sounds as though the article is doubting it was a heart attack. And no doctor actually confirms it. She went to a cardiologist the next day, and they put in a stent. If I googled the symptoms of a heart attack and was concerned enough that I took aspirin (as the article would have recommended), I would have called 911 and/or immediately gone to an emergency room. I think she may have had a blockage, but not all blockage = heart attack.
    I read the article.

I believe it.

I know the wording may come across as odd, and it IS very true that all blockages DON'T translate to heart attacks.

But, what is not fully understood by most people --- I think --- about heart attacks is that denial is/can be one of the symptoms.

Denial while having a heart attack is an extremely powerful emotion/state of mind, and could very well be a reason that you might possibly wind up in a grave, or urn. And while I am not privy to Rosie's specific details, I strongly suspect that denial played a MAJOR part in how she handled things.

As for the Doctor(s) not making any statement?

That doesn't really surprise me. Doctor/patient confidentiality rules and is legally binding, I believe. And unless Rosie --- or one of her representatives --- formally released her Doctor(s) from that in some way, I can't really see a public statement about her circumstances being made by her medical personnel.

I'm no lawyer, so if I'm wrong about that, please, anyone who is more knowledgeable in that area, please feel free to correct me.

As for the rest of it? Again, I believe it.

Why?

Been there, done that.
    JulieAnn likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

You are right that doctors can't say anything without permission (HIPAA). But Rosie isn't known for keeping many aspects of her life secret. It's just odd to me that the parent of 4 minor children would not seek immediate medical attention for what she believes to be a life-threatening condition - for their sake, more than for her own. I do believe that she had a heart-related medical problem (and - with a 90+% blockage, it was definitely a MAJOR problem, it just is odd the way this thing was worded.

I read that The Donald tweeted a get well message to Rosie. She's in shock. lol

Denial is big with heart issues. They can tell if you've had a heart attack several ways I think, blood test and the echo test. My dad was told he had had one right before his quadruple bypass, but then couldn't say when it happened. He later had trouble too and has had two stents put in since then. He didn't immediately go to the doctor, EVEN after the surgery, because he thought it was anxiety, not cardiac. It was further blockage. Sometimes anxiety and cardiac are very much alike.

You are right that doctors can't say anything without permission (HIPAA). But Rosie isn't known for keeping many aspects of her life secret. It's just odd to me that the parent of 4 minor children would not seek immediate medical attention for what she believes to be a life-threatening condition - for their sake, more than for her own. I do believe that she had a heart-related medical problem (and - with a 90+% blockage, it was definitely a MAJOR problem, it just is odd the way this thing was worded.
    No WAY is there anything amusing about this subject, but I HAD to LOL at what I've bolded!

I totally get what you're saying. I understand absolutely where you're coming from. The wording, I'll agree, CAN come across as a wee tad bit wonky, I suppose.

But, despite what looks to be the logical thing to do, on the face of it (i.e., a parent of four seeking medical attention when they're experiencing what they believe to be a life-threatening condition), if you happen to be the one that's sitting in the middle of a pool that's called a heart attack, logic, reason, common sense, 2+2=4 --- all of it --- can, and DOES, sometimes, go flying out the window. Trust me. You can't explain why you didn't do what it would have been logical to do to others.

OR, most importantly, YOURSELF.

It's crazy. It makes no sense.

But, there it is.
    prhoshay and AZChristian like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I read that The Donald tweeted a get well message to Rosie. She's in shock. lol
    Given their past relationship, I wonder if he was trying to finish her off. (Just kidding!)
    ness, libgirl2, JulieAnn and 2 others like this.

The symptoms for heart attack in women are very different from the ones in men. Did she really know that she was having a heart attack when it was happening?

My aunt had surgery earlier this year because of blockage in that same artery. Rosie really is lucky to be alive. I hope this is a wake up call and she stops talking about getting healthy and actually does it. Those 4 kids deserve to have both of their mothers for a lot longer. She's way too young to die.
    ness likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Heart attacks are scary. I just heard news yesterday that a girl I grew up with died suddenly of a heart attack Monday night. She was 40 years old and had no prior history. So sad. I had a stress test about a year ago, but I still am on Asprin daily dose, since I am a Type I diabetic.

+ Reply to Thread