+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4830Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Unfortunately, the news about Randy Travis isn't surprising. It seems like he's been on a downward spiral for a while.
    Really? Gosh, I had no idea.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I had no idea either. I haven't heard much about him at all
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Really? Gosh, I had no idea.
    Well, he hasn't had a hit song in how long? Plus, he had another DUI in February and then there's that weird lawsuit against his ex-wife/ex-manager. You know your career has hit a snag when all of the stories are about your personal life and not your music.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Well, he hasn't had a hit song in how long? Plus, he had another DUI in February and then there's that weird lawsuit against his ex-wife/ex-manager. You know your career has hit a snag when all of the stories are about your personal life and not your music.
    I think his ex-wife/manager kept his behaviour under control (or covered it well). It seems since he left her he has had "issues'
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

^I think the same thing. They were together for a long time, and she's a good bit older than him, if I recall correctly... I haven't followed the details of their personal or business split, but would imagine there's a huge void in his life without her.
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I think his ex-wife/manager kept his behaviour under control (or covered it well). It seems since he left her he has had "issues'
    It's funny how you don't really know what someone is like until a person like that is removed from the situation. It seems like she acted as a mother-figure for him, keeping him in line. Now that she's gone, he's acting like so many other musicians we've seen who we're big stars, but whose careers have faded a bit... OR like a recently-divorced middle-aged man with no impulse control. It seems like no one has figured out that alcohol does not improve the situation. Until recently, I don't recall any stories about RT and alcohol abuse. This makes me wonder if he was using all along.

Whatever the real situation, it's clear his wife/manager was really holding him together!

The douchebags behind that Justin Bieber car chase (and I'm actually NOT talking about Bieber here) are trying to justify speeding because the photographer was chasing a "breaking story." Good grief. It's not like the Bieb was going off to kill Bin Laden or something.
    Justin Bieber Photog Justifies Car Chase | TMZ.com
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    I think the same thing. They were together for a long time, and she's a good bit older than him, if I recall correctly... I haven't followed the details of their personal or business split, but would imagine there's a huge void in his life without her.

I had no idea about either of those two statements, so I did some Googling.

The divorce took place 19 years after the wedding ceremony . . . . phrasing it like that because I don't actually know how long they were "together" as a couple. Most divorces don't happen suddenly and without warning.

As for the age difference, it's likely somewhere between 16 and 18 years. Randy's dad, speaking thru the National Enquirer (groan) said the couple met at the NC bar Lib Hatcher's at-the-time husband owned when Lib was 36 and Randy was 18. People magazine did an interview in 1991 when their marriage was made public. In that interview, his age is given as 32 and she is - reportedly - 48.

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: RANDY TRAVIS DAD TELLS ALL! - The National Enquirer

That's No Manager, That's My Wife : People.com
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Wow...you're right about that. Such a far cry from the Randy Travis whose music I used to love back in the '90's.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

When someone famous is having alcohol/drug "issues" there are always many excuses given for absences from scheduled interviews, concerts and such. I don't ever recall this being an issue with Randy Travis over the years.

He has been in a downward spiral for awhile now, but with the things he has done I do wonder if it such new stuff that is going on or has this been "normal" for awhile but his manager/wife was able to keep it out of the news. Yes, alcohol makes people do stupid things, DWI usually being the first but crashing his car while naked? Threatening to shoot troopers? Methinks his alcohol issues have been going on for quite a while and not just because of his divorce.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

That's my feeling about it too, JunkieGirl. I think these issues are being made public because his wife/manager isn't there to do damage control and keep his problems out of the press. You don't end up naked in the middle of the road and then threaten to shoot police officers when you've just started drinking.

Whatever is going on with RT, it's very sad. He always had a lovely, deep voice.
    bee stung lips and Debb70 like this.

+ Reply to Thread