+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4542Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    . Frankly, I'd rather have my kid look up to someone who's famous for being intelligent or who has more depth.
    No, I agree with this, but the choices the young girls have to look up to...well, the pool isn't very deep. I'd prefer them to like Taylor over most of them.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    No, I agree with this, but the choices the young girls have to look up to...well, the pool isn't very deep. I'd prefer them to like Taylor over most of them.
    Well, there definitely aren't very many in the music industry or show business, that's for sure! I like what the woman in that blog said about preferring Gaga because it was easier to discuss sexuality than to "deprogram" all the messages of "female powerlessness" she found at the Taylor Swift concert.

Now, the Olympics is a great place to find role models. SO many strong women on display!
    sweetpea and JavaJo like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    There are so many TERRIBLE role models that I must throw support for Taylor. My 12 year-old niece, (going on 22) loves lots of current singers that really cause me concern.

I try to tell myself, she'll be okay. But still, if you are going to dress like a teen and perform songs that sound like they are for tweens, then why make them about getting drunk, having sex with strangers, stealing, doing drugs and getting arrested? I don't get it. If that is the theme of your songs then make it sound like it's for college students who are old enough to do those things if they chose.
    Well she must be doing something right Look at all the awards she has won, and not a meat dress ( and I love gaga) or skimpy clothes needed. I have seen her interviewed, she is more talented that I gave her credit for.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I hear you on the 'female powerlessness' in a lot of Taylor's songs. Catchy tunes, and she's just so beautiful in the videos, but the depth of the lyrics...not so much. BUT I'm pretty good about directing the girls to like the strong women... Put it this way, they much prefer Katniss over Bella.
    Critical likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Well, my 12 year old girls love her. I don't care for her songs really, as Crit said they seem to be all about fairy-tale, bubblegum love (at least the ones I've heard on repeat over, and over, and over, and over......) BUT I do think she's a better role model for them, at least personally, than many of the young actors and singers out there.

Me, I prefer Pink's songs.
    Absolutely LOVE Pink!
    sweetpea likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Absolutely LOVE Pink!
    Also love Pink. And good or bad, she is one who has owned herself - warts and all.

I also love Beyonce for a strong woman. And I like that at least some of her songs do seem to be focused on strong women and not settling.

Taylor's songs are someone immature, however, they are better than most pop and courntry music that glorifies alcohol and promiscuity. That stuff is fine for adults, but many parents allow unlimited access to all of that music and it's odd to see young kids singing to it. It bothers me, because they don't get that it's inappropriate to sing about sleeping with multiple partners and getting drunk.

Taylor does have at least one song that is about a girl power. I'll have to find it.

And hey, I'm not a big fan of Taylor...please know that. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Taylor's songs are someone immature, however, they are better than most pop and country music that glorifies alcohol and promiscuity. That stuff is fine for adults, but many parents allow unlimited access to all of that music and it's odd to see young kids singing to it. It bothers me, because they don't get that it's inappropriate to sing about sleeping with multiple partners and getting drunk.

Taylor does have at least one song that is about a girl power. I'll have to find it.

And hey, I'm not a big fan of Taylor...please know that. lol
    I can't name one song of hers.But my niece loves her music, she was inspired to write her own music. That's good enough for me.

Heck I loved Funky Cold Medina.LOL
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I can't name one song of hers.But my niece loves her music, she was inspired to write her own music. That's good enough for me.

Heck I loved Funky Cold Medina.LOL
    LOL I've had conversations with friends about that very thing. Sometimes when I hear songs I loved and sang along with I'm shocked at what the song means! I don't think I ever even really thought about the meanings.

I heard an interview with Taylor Swift and I will say she impressed me in a couple areas. She seemed very level headed and really knew about the business side. The other was when she said that she carefully considers each morning what she will wear knowing so many people (girls) could possibly see her and be influenced. She said in response to others saying it's not their responsibility to raise those girls that she knows they are watching her and possibly emulating her. She seemed to take that pretty seriously.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Funky Cold Medina!!!!
    libgirl2 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread