+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5012Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Taylor music may not be the best, but I can't help but adore the girl. She's a pretty good role model for her young fans. You don't see her out clubbing, getting into fights, smoking a bong in her Twitter pics...lol. If I had to choose a famous girlfriend for my boys, I'd have to go with her because she is one of the few good girls in the biz.
    I agree JavaJo She is polite, and she really loves music. I wish her well.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

There are so many TERRIBLE role models that I must throw support for Taylor. My 12 year-old niece, (going on 22) loves lots of current singers that really cause me concern.

I try to tell myself, she'll be okay. But still, if you are going to dress like a teen and perform songs that sound like they are for tweens, then why make them about getting drunk, having sex with strangers, stealing, doing drugs and getting arrested? I don't get it. If that is the theme of your songs then make it sound like it's for college students who are old enough to do those things if they chose.

Taylor music may not be the best, but I can't help but adore the girl. She's a pretty good role model for her young fans. You don't see her out clubbing, getting into fights, smoking a bong in her Twitter pics...lol. If I had to choose a famous girlfriend for my boys, I'd have to go with her because she is one of the few good girls in the biz.
    I don't like that ALL her songs seem to be about BOYS. It's all very girly and there's nothing about being smart or capable or NOT needing a man. I read an article written by someone who took his/her daughter to a Taylor Swift concert and was horrified at the message. If I could remember where I read it, I'd post it. It's exactly the problem I have with her. She's 22 and her songs haven't changed at all. It's like her emotional growth stopped at 15. I'm glad she's not out boozing it up or checking into rehab, but she has the depth of a teacup.
    Lucynda, Rattus and bee stung lips like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It's like her emotional growth stopped at 15. I'm glad she's not out boozing it up or checking into rehab, but she has the depth of a teacup.
    and here I thought I was the only one who thought that. She seems like a nice girl, just not my cup of tea.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick View Post
    and here I thought I was the only one who thought that. She seems like a nice girl, just not my cup of tea.
    Hell no, you're not the only one...lol. I've always thought the same thing too.
    AmyKay likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Hell no, you're not the only one...lol. I've always thought the same thing too.
    I admire the fact that she plays an instrument and seems to write her own songs, I just wish those songs had more substance. She's kind of the country version of bubblegum pop. That's getting a bit old, since she's into her 20's now. It seems like her songs should be showing more maturity at this point. To me, they all sound the same.

I'm sure she's a nice girl and there are worse role models out there. She's just always seemed so vapid to me.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

If I were an adolescent growing up, I could do a lot worse than having Taylor Swift as a role model.
    I absolutely love the girl.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Well, my 12 year old girls love her. I don't care for her songs really, as Crit said they seem to be all about fairy-tale, bubblegum love (at least the ones I've heard on repeat over, and over, and over, and over......) BUT I do think she's a better role model for them, at least personally, than many of the young actors and singers out there.

Me, I prefer Pink's songs.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    If I were an adolescent growing up, I could do a lot worse than having Taylor Swift as a role model.
    I absolutely love the girl.
    I totally agree
    norealityhere likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Well, my 12 year old girls love her. I don't care for her songs really, as Crit said they seem to be all about fairy-tale, bubblegum love (at least the ones I've heard on repeat over, and over, and over, and over......) BUT I do think she's a better role model for them, at least personally, than many of the young actors and singers out there.

Me, I prefer Pink's songs.
    Me too!

I don't think I'd want a daughter of mine to idolize someone who seems to only care about boys and her looks. Of course, it's better than having a daughter idolize Ke$ha, but those aren't the only 2 options. Frankly, I'd rather have my kid look up to someone who's famous for being intelligent or who has more depth.

I looked and found the blog post from HuffPo that I mentioned upthread: Andrea Lampros: Parent Regrets: Why I Wish We Never Had Gone to See Taylor Swift

+ Reply to Thread