+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5241Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I just heard on HLN (tv) that Miriah Carey has been signed to American Idol as a judge. I'm shocked. Simon had promised her everything to get her on the X Factor. I bet he is furious.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I just heard on HLN (tv) that Miriah Carey has been signed to American Idol as a judge. I'm shocked. Simon had promised her everything to get her on the X Factor. I bet he is furious.
    I am sure Randy encouraged her. I cant stand her( or her singing) now does that mean she will be performing?
    NEPASue likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Well I certainly hope they didn't give her massive amounts of money in order to get her to sign. She's not worth as much as Jennifer Lopez in my opinion. Too washed up. At least JLo is still current.
    Shoepie and NEPASue like this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

bee stung lips - I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Mariah is a way more talented and accomplished vocalist than J-lo could ever even hope to be. I think she is more qualified to judge a "singing competition" (which is what they always tell us it is right?) Amusingly enough - with her on the panel, Randy will have to find someone else to name-drop and it will also hopefully reduce the amount of people who attempt Mariah songs. LOL.

ETa: I'm reading she's getting $17M. I don't remember what J-Lo made.
    BlondeOne likes this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

FORT Fogey

I think that when it comes to singing, Mariah is more talented than JLo. When it comes to being an overall celebrity/entertainer, JLo has the edge. Mariah doesn't come across to me as being as capable as JLo in cutting to the chase to give advice on how to improve a performance, or say much more than "I liked it" or "I didn't". My impression is that she'll be more Paula like. But I do think it's interesting that she was signed, given her close relationship with Randy. Randy was certainly hinting that he may be ready to move on from the show, so I wonder if they did this in order to get him to stay.

Not to put words in the mouth of bee stung lips, but I think she was talking about JLo being a more relevant presence, not necessarily a bigger talent. Carey is old news. Paula had the '80's kitsch factor and was a (perhaps unintentionally) entertaining enough personality to be a good foil for Cowell. The personalities of the Randy/JLo/Tyler combination was, well, soggy. I have a hard time seeing Carey as a spark to put life back in the show. It gives me no inclination to start watching again...I haven't really watched since Cowell left.

I heard a rumor Axl Rose may replace Tyler. Considering what a douchebag he is, that may be an inspired choice.
    Shoepie and bee stung lips like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

They are aiming for a younger audience. This statement makes me laugh. I think they already have one! Anyway, younger judges are not going to do the trick. Mature, skilled professionals who give a good critique are what is needed. Jimmy Iovine would be perfect.

Contestants all have good voices, their style and how the present themselves is what will set them apart. The stylist last season was terrible. The tiny Asian girl who came in second leaps to mind. And since I don't remember her name my mind is clearly not worthy of much consideration! Anyway, her clothes were way too old and conservative. You want a younger viewer? then dress them in cutting edge, hip clothes! Don't put them in a damn gown.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Not to put words in the mouth of bee stung lips, but I think she was talking about JLo being a more relevant presence, not necessarily a bigger talent. Carey is old news.
    That's exactly what I was trying to say. I know Mariah is far more talented in terms of vocal ability. Despite Mariah's and hubby Nick's delusions to the contrary, she's no longer relevant.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I don't know - I think the only reason why J-Lo is still in the forefront of pop culture is because she used Idol as a vehicle to promote and showcase her new album and clothes line at Kohl's. If she weren't on Idol, I think the reception to her music releases would have been a "meh", she would have had some spins in the club scene and that's it. Let's just watch - I predict that Mariah will parlay her judging stint into an expansion of her brand as well and probably release an album to coincide with the show's season. If her album is a success, then she once again becomes relevant to the music scene.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Oh, this AI opportunity must be like Christmas for Carey, considering how her career has petered out. I find it amusing how the AI judges always want to find "the next Adele" but have female singers on the panel who shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Adele, talent-wise. (Adele rules).
    libgirl2 and bee stung lips like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread