+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4618Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I like his giggle. It is what makes him seem more reachable as a talk show host, IMO.
    He gets on my nerves. He didn't do that on 360. But his daytime snoozefest does
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I read that a lot of celebs are coming out now because of the bullying. The recent deaths (murdered and self inflicted) that have been prominent in the media lately have prompted them to come out in support.
    Last edited by JavaJo; 07-03-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    libgirl2, Rattus and KatesMom like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Why is there such a big deal made of when a "celebrity" comes out and say he/she is gay, we don't celebrate when he/she comes out and says I'm hetersexual.
    In a perfect, nonjudgmental world, there should be no difference in someone being gay or heterosexual. It should just be. Heterosexuals don't need to celebrate their sexuality because it is the "norm," and therefore they have nothing to fear. The fact is that it does take courage for a gay person, celebrity or otherwise, to announce it to the world. Gay men and women have been, and continue to be, the victims of some vile verbal, emotional and physical cruelties. Many face disappointment and even disownment in their own families. They are discriminated against by law, and regarded as sinners by some who believe that their personal religious beliefs trump the rights of another human being. (I am pretty sure the good Lord, for those who believe, would be far more tolerant than those who use His name to persecute others.) For some gay people, coming out could put their professional careers in jeopardy (think back to when Ellen first came out).

Times are slowly changing, but I completely understand why it is a major deal for someone to decide whether to make their sexual orientation a public matter.

As for Anderson, gay or not, the man is hot!
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Why is there such a big deal made of when a "celebrity" comes out and say he/she is gay, we don't celebrate when he/she comes out and says I'm hetersexual.
    Because that's the assumed "default" for most people.

I think the "big deal" is made because it's one more potential role model for young LGBT kids going through a tough time, either because of bullying or just not being accepted by friends or family. It gives those kids one more person to look at and maybe think they'll be okay too.

As someone who lost a close childhood friend - who happened to be a lesbian - to suicide, I applaud every single person who comes out. If there had been more role models for my friend, maybe she wouldn't have felt so lost and alone and just maybe she'd still be here.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

As for Anderson, gay or not, the man is hot!
    Seriously? I don't hate the guy and he has a great head on his shoulders - but hot? eww
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I don't think Anderson is "hot," but I do think he's absolutely adorable and smart as hell. Although, I have to say, have you seen pics of him in short sleeves? Those are some nice guns!
    KatesMom likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

As I've said before...and probably will again, I wish people didn't have to "come out.' I think that's personal and private and nobody's business. Yet, it seems that they are obligated to do so.
    Regarding gays being bullied: it will always happen...has for a long long time but many, many people are bullied for all kinds of reasons. It's not just a "gay-thing" and maybe someday, there will be less of it but I doubt it....human beings are very capable of being judgmental and cruel....to all kinds of people.
    Anyone who thinks logically, probably figured Anderson was gay and to most of us, we didn't care.
    We care what kind of journalist he is mostly.
    It just seems to me that in the present time, the more people try to make others more tolerant of others' differences, the more it seems that they are pressured into "coming out."
    Why can't we all just be "people?" Whatever happened to personal privacy?
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Why can't we all just be "people?" Whatever happened to personal privacy?
    Unfortunately, that's just not how the world works. From probably the beginning of time, people have labeled and grouped other people. I don't think that's ever going to change.

I don't believe in outing anyone, but if someone chooses to come out, I'm all for it. The fact is, a HUGE number of children who are bullied are targets because a) they are gay or b) are perceived to be gay. Just because it's always happened doesn't make it right. If more celebrities and public figures come out and show these kids that you can go on and have a successful adult life and be gay or lesbian, that's a wonderful thing. The suicide rates among young gays and lesbians is horrifying. Anything that can be done to help them see a way through those years is a good thing, IMO, and that includes celebrities coming out and telling those kids they aren't alone.

Like I mentioned above, I lost a dear childhood friend to suicide when we were in h.s. and my heart still breaks for her and how alone she probably felt as a lesbian in a conservative community where "gay" equaled "bad." I wish she'd had some role models to show her that she would be okay.

Maybe someday no one will care if a person is straight, gay or otherwise, but we're not there yet. For many of us, a person's sexuality doesn't have any bearing on their worth as a person. Unfortunately, there are still many people for whom a person's sexuality is directly and negatively tied to their worth as a person. Many homophobes are that way because they're ignorant and don't know anyone who's gay or lesbian. The more people they "know" who come out - even if it's someone on TV - the better.

I love Anderson Cooper because he's smart, I admire his work ethic (he probably didn't need to ever work) and I find him to be just an all-around adorable person. Plus, his mom is the coolest. I'm glad that he came out because I wish that for everyone - to just be who they are without having to hide it over fears of not being accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't think Anderson is "hot," but I do think he's absolutely adorable and smart as hell. Although, I have to say, have you seen pics of him in short sleeves? Those are some nice guns!
    Yup. Smart as hell, adorable, nice guns, concern for others and the state of the world, lovely eyes (I am such an eye person), and a sense of humor. Pretty much defines hot for me!
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

I love Anderson Cooper and his shows! I hate that now he will be defined by some to be that gay man. Hating the gay community comes in many forms and places. Our minister just got fired for talking to his congrgation about gays and that we should love all people as we are all children of God. We in the Christian faith talk about how we are being persecuted in many foreign countries, but I say what gives us the right to do the persecuting. Ironic, isn't it!!!!!!!! That's why sometimes I hate religion.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

+ Reply to Thread