+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4633Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Anderson Cooper has come out and said that he's gay!

OK, maybe it's just me....I thought that was general knowledge.

Did I just dream that up?
    I dont think he ever said. His rating are low maybe he needed a boost
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I always knew Anderson is gay and never cared. Good for him on coming out!

ETA: Here's the email to Andrew Sullivan at The Daily Beast:

Andrew, as you know, the issue you raise is one that I've thought about for years. Even though my job puts me in the public eye, I have tried to maintain some level of privacy in my life. Part of that has been for purely personal reasons. I think most people want some privacy for themselves and the people they are close to.

But I've also wanted to retain some privacy for professional reasons. Since I started as a reporter in war zones 20 years ago, I've often found myself in some very dangerous places. For my safety and the safety of those I work with, I try to blend in as much as possible, and prefer to stick to my job of telling other peopleís stories, and not my own. I have found that sometimes the less an interview subject knows about me, the better I can safely and effectively do my job as a journalist.

I've always believed that who a reporter votes for, what religion they are, who they love, should not be something they have to discuss publicly. As long as a journalist shows fairness and honesty in his or her work, their private life shouldn't matter. Iíve stuck to those principles for my entire professional career, even when Iíve been directly asked ďthe gay question,Ē which happens occasionally. I did not address my sexual orientation in the memoir I wrote several years ago because it was a book focused on war, disasters, loss and survival. I didn't set out to write about other aspects of my life.

Recently, however, Iíve begun to consider whether the unintended outcomes of maintaining my privacy outweigh personal and professional principle. Itís become clear to me that by remaining silent on certain aspects of my personal life for so long, I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something - something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid. This is distressing because it is simply not true.

Iíve also been reminded recently that while as a society we are moving toward greater inclusion and equality for all people, the tide of history only advances when people make themselves fully visible. There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand.

The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldnít be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.

I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. Iím not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist.

Since my early days as a reporter, I have worked hard to accurately and fairly portray gay and lesbian people in the media - and to fairly and accurately portray those who for whatever reason disapprove of them. It is not part of my job to push an agenda, but rather to be relentlessly honest in everything I see, say and do. Iíve never wanted to be any kind of reporter other than a good one, and I do not desire to promote any cause other than the truth.

Being a journalist, traveling to remote places, trying to understand people from all walks of life, telling their stories, has been the greatest joy of my professional career, and I hope to continue doing it for a long time to come. But while I feel very blessed to have had so many opportunities as a journalist, I am also blessed far beyond having a great career.

I love, and I am loved.

In my opinion, the ability to love another person is one of Godís greatest gifts, and I thank God every day for enabling me to give and share love with the people in my life. I appreciate your asking me to weigh in on this, and I would be happy for you to share my thoughts with your readers. I still consider myself a reserved person and I hope this doesnít mean an end to a small amount of personal space. But I do think visibility is important, more important than preserving my reporterís shield of privacy.
    Anderson Cooper: "The Fact Is, I'm Gay." - The Dish | By Andrew Sullivan - The Daily Beast
    Last edited by Critical; 07-02-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Well either way, good for him for doing so, I'm glad.

I don't know of anyone, that didn't know Anderson was gay.Like me, they don't care.

Now if he would just stop giggling
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Not a big surprise. And he is a cutie regardless.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Why is there such a big deal made of when a "celebrity" comes out and say he/she is gay, we don't celebrate when he/she comes out and says I'm hetersexual.
    karalott, mom2, Florimel and 2 others like this.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Why is there such a big deal made of when a "celebrity" comes out and say he/she is gay, we don't celebrate when he/she comes out and says I'm hetersexual.
    Perhaps we should? lol! Probably more of a to do because people's careers and livelihoods have suffered when they do.

I asked my co-worker (who is my gossip co-hort) what she thought and even though she wasn't surprised she said he really didn't need to announce it to the world.
    karalott likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I never really thought about Anderson being gay until I saw it being mentioned. Then it struck me maybe he was. But, like others here, I didn't care because it's not a big deal. At least not to me. I agree about it not being a big deal when celebs come out, and I wish the entertainment world (and the world in general) was just more accepting so people could just live their life out and proud, whatever it may be, rather than having to worry about protecting their job and investment in their career. Hopefully one day. I still adore him I know he gave up hosting reality shows a long time ago, but he still ranks as one of my favorites from his days on The Mole, and I can't get enough of his talk show.
    sueb1961 likes this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

The handsome Josh Lucas and wife Jessica welcomed a baby boy over the weekend - their first child - Noah Rev Maurer weighed in at a healthy 9 pounds 4 ounces.

Josh Lucas & Wife Welcome Baby Boy
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

This is the first time he has publicly said so, but I think it has been common knowledge.

I am as surprised as I was when Elton John came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I don't know of anyone, that didn't know Anderson was gay.Like me, they don't care.

Now if he would just stop giggling
    I like his giggle. It is what makes him seem more reachable as a talk show host, IMO.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread