+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5261Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I
    think "This Land is Your Land" would have been a good alternate choice.
    Good choice
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I guess I think the graduation song should be more about marking the occasion for the kids than waving the flag I think my jr. high grad song was "Corner of the Sky."

Whatever it is, I know it shouldn't be a Bieber song.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I was about to blast this decision for the stupidity of not wanting to offend other cultures. They're graduating as Americans in the USA after all.
    But Rattus, you make a lot of sense. The whole "God bless" the USA is a bit foolish for any American who worships other deities, or doesn't worship any. Being American has nothing to do with worshipping God, except for the right to do so if you choose.
    So I back off on my support of this song.

How about America the Beautiful. Everyone knows it & it's great song, although it does have "God shed his grace on thee", but not in the title anyhow, or in the main meaning or focus of the song.

Bieber's "Baby", absolutely not. It's a stupid graduation song. It has nothing to do with patriotism, school, graduation, or anything else remotely associated with the occasion.
    It makes the school look like a bunch of fools.
    JulieAnn, Debb70 and JohnnyK like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

In my high school, we sang Gaudeamus Igitur, which is a celebration of youth and making the most of it while we have it along with the acknowledgment that it won''t loast. I find that very appropriate for a graduation song and a lot of fun to sing, too.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    In that class there are probably atheists (I never believed in god, no matter how many adults told me there was one, so I have to presume there may be other young rationalists out there), Jews, Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims, Buddhists, et al, who may not be entirely happy about having to be solemn about someone else's deity. So fine, no Bieber tunes - how about someone write "Kudos to America" instead? I mean, the Canadian national anthem can get the job done without any of the holy rolling.
    There are references to God in the Canadian anthem.

I don't get how Baby has anything to do with a graduation (though I only half-know rhe chorus I presume it is your standard love/crush/honey/baby song). If they want to go with a more contemporary song, whatever, but it seems an odd choice.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I find that Lee Greenwood song to only be offensive in it's blandness. I don't think it's really appropriate for a graduation ceremony anyway. The best song I ever heard for a graduation was Paul Anka's "Times of Your Life" for my brother's jr. high grad ceremony (yes, it was the 70s and they used that song for Kodak commercials!). Still, not quite right for 5 or 6 year olds.

I'm much more offended by Justin Bieber being played anywhere, much less at a kindergarten graduation....... and what's up with a graduation ceremony for kindergarten!? Why is that necessary?
    The seniors at my high school used to vote on a song for grad. Usually it was something super cheesy. My class's pick was "Up Where We Belong". Not my pick, personally.

My younger daughter's preschool had a little "graduation ceremony"...they had their pictures taken and got little "diplomas" for their scrapbooks, and the parents brought juice & baked goodies. It was cute. The teacher did have the kids sing a couple songs but they were kid ditties. My daughter pulls out her scrapbook every so often to look at the pictures. It got them excited to start kindergarten, I think. And it's for us parents, too. I love celebrating those little milestones, it's fun when the kids are small & are excited by everything.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

When I was in 7th grade I helped out with the Kindergarten. There was a graduation ceremony with robes, hats, on stage - the whole nine yards. However, no anthem, but a song choice for the kids to sing - 'One-Eyed, One-horned Flying Purple People Eater' (1958). As with a Beiber song, it was very popular at that time and the kids had a blast learning and singing it. Of course, they only learned the first verse.

Lyrics:

Well I saw the thing coming out of the sky
    It had one long horn and one big eye
    I commenced to shakin' and I said oo-wee
    It looks like a purple people eater to me
    It was a one-eyed one-horned flying purple people eater
    Sure looks good to me

Well, he came down to earth and he lit in a tree
    I said mr Purple People Eater don't eat me
    I heard him say in a voice so gruff
    I wouldn't eat you 'cos you're too tough
    It was a one-eyed one-horned flying purple people eater
    It sure looks strange to me

I said mr Purple People Eater what's your line
    He said eating purple people and it sure is fine
    But that's not the reason that I came to land
    I wanna get a job in a rock 'n roll band
    Well, bless my soul rock 'n roll flying' purple people eater
    Pigeon-toed under-growed flyin' purple people eater
    one-eyed one-horned it was a people eater
    What a sight to see

Well, he swung from the tree and he lit on the ground
    he started to rock really rockin' around
    It was a crazy ditty with a swinging tune
    Wop bop a lula wop bam boom
    one-eyes one-horned flying people eater
    Ooh, it sure looks strange to me

Well he went on his way and then what do you know
    I saw him last night on a TV show
    He was a blowin' it out and really knockin' them dead
    Playing rock 'n roll music through the horn in his head

On a serious note, an objection to the Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA" is that it talks about war and killing Iraqis. To some, that is offensive.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 06-13-2012 at 01:54 AM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I would assume that it is the "God bless" part, not the USA part.
    American coins say "In God We Trust" yet I don't see anyone protesting about making or spending American money.

This PC stuff is getting ridiculous.

Now American children just graduating from kindergarden have to be subjected to less patriotic songs only to be replaced by a Canadian teenage sensation. What's next? Thug life? I'm Sexy and I know it?

I'd laugh if this world as we know it wasn't so sad.
    YorkieMom and Coco46 like this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

I don't care about the "God" stuff, I just wonder why a song at a kindergarten graduation has to be all "RAH, RAH, YAY AMERICA!" It seems like there are many other songs they could play that have to do with school, growing up, etc.

Anyway, back to celeb gossip..... Lindsay Lohan is in trouble again. What has it been, like 2 weeks since we saw her name mentioned in the same sentence with "police"?
    Lindsay Lohan Lied to Cops About Car Crash? | Reuters
    Lucynda, Florimel and Cootie like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Who cares if Bieber is Canadian? He lives in the US and has done since he was a preteen. Even if he didn't, so what? I don't get the whole "and he's Canadian!" argument.
    I'm now singing that Vitamin C song about being friends forever...that was popular for grads a while back. But as they were kindergarteners I'm sure some sort of nursery rhyme song would have been appropriate....or some song from a kids' act like the Wiggles.
    Last edited by CCL; 06-13-2012 at 08:39 AM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread