+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4743Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Of course, no actor or public figure is obliged to come out if they don't want to. However, I have a lot less respect for someone who creates a whole structure of lies that involves multiple people to keep the lie hidden. There are plenty of people who just quietly live their lives and don't come out and that's totally cool. When you involve a spouse and various beards to keep up the lie, that's when I don't have respect because what that says to me - whether it's the intended message or not - is that there's something wrong with being gay. I guess I have a problem with people who are working SO hard to prove to everyone that they're straight.

Frankly, I wonder if someone who is lying about a basic fact about themselves can be a truly good actor. I think acting - even though it's inherently about pretending - is about being honest. I question whether someone can open themselves up emotionally on screen, stage, whatever, if they're lying about who the are.

All I know is that if I was gay, I just could not expend all that energy covering up who I am. Life's too short.
    Because acting is, essentially, the credible (ideally, deeply credible) impersonation of someone else, it is by its nature a form of deceit. An art of deceit, if you will. It is stepping out of yourself and convincing your audience that you are not YOU. I think it's obviously easier for an actor to role play than it is for the rest of us. It does not make the actor dishonest by nature.

I don't think our sexual orientation defines who we are, either. And I firmly believe it's no more relevant in the assessment someone's honesty than their IQ score is.

Gay people who enter a heterosexual marriage do so for many reasons, not the least of which is the ability to share their life with their chosen partner and raise their own biological children together. Gay, bi, or heterosexual marriage is about a LOT more than sex. And we all role play in the way we present ourselves to the world.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Because acting is, essentially, the credible (ideally, deeply credible) impersonation of someone else, it is by its nature a form of deceit. An art of deceit, if you will. It is stepping out of yourself and convincing your audience that you are not YOU. I think it's obviously easier for an actor to role play than it is for the rest of us. It does not make the actor dishonest by nature.
    I also think an integral part of acting is opening oneself up and being honest. If you're habitually hiding a part of yourself, how can you be completely open? I've seen several actors who have come out talk about this and it made total sense to me. For many actors, connecting with a character means finding the thing inside you that is like that person.

I don't respect anyone who uses all that subterfuge to hide who they really are. I just think it's stupid. Involving a spouse and, particularly, children is just selfish, even if the spouse is "in" on it. Whatever Kelly Preston thinks she signed up for, I'm sure these recent stories in the press aren't a part of that. It's humiliating for her, I'm sure. Again, all the lies serve to do is say that there's something wrong with being gay.

Really though, my problem with stories like the ones surrounding Travolta right now is that he's married. Gay or straight, if they're true (and I'm a believer in the adage that "when there's smoke, there's fire"), it's just sleazy. Even if they have an arrangement, it's disrespectful to his wife to behave that way.

It's bad enough when ANYONE cheats on their spouse or is propositioning massage therapists or whatever, but when the couple in question is in the public eye, it's particularly bad because you're humiliating your partner in public. Obviously, whatever two adults decide their marriage is going to be is their business but, if you're famous, I think it's your responsibility to NOT act like a dirt bag and cause embarrassment to your spouse.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I also think an integral part of acting is opening oneself up and being honest. If you're habitually hiding a part of yourself, how can you be completely open? I've seen several actors who have come out talk about this and it made total sense to me. For many actors, connecting with a character means finding the thing inside you that is like that person.
    Are we then to assume that the only really good actors/thespians are those who are either heterosexual or have disclosed that they are gay or bi? And why would you assume that an actor's sexuality is somehow something they hide from within themselves? That's a big stretch, by my lights. And one that it is impossible to make unless you know that individual in a very personal way. I also think John Travolta is either an exception to that rule, or by your evaluation, would be a much better actor than he is (and he is good) if he was gay and outed himself. Huh.

I don't respect anyone who uses all that subterfuge to hide who they really are. I just think it's stupid. Involving a spouse and, particularly, children is just selfish, even if the spouse is "in" on it. Whatever Kelly Preston thinks she signed up for, I'm sure these recent stories in the press aren't a part of that. It's humiliating for her, I'm sure. Again, all the lies serve to do is say that there's something wrong with being gay.
    First: No one is defined by their sexual orientaton. Who they really are is a much larger tally of things than who they have sex with, or want to have sex with. Not disclosing it doesn't mean they believe there is something wrong with being gay. It just means that they think it's irrelevant to their career, and absolutely none of your business.

Second: Children are not involved in this. Children don't give a flying crap about their parents' sexuality and, in fact, it's a subject fraught with disgust for them no matter whether their parents are monogamous or otherwise. Who wants to even think about their parents copulating? It's not something they care about even after they reach adulthood for the most part. It's cringe worthy for them.

Really though, my problem with stories like the ones surrounding Travolta right now is that he's married. Gay or straight, if they're true (and I'm a believer in the adage that "when there's smoke, there's fire"), it's just sleazy. Even if they have an arrangement, it's disrespectful to his wife to behave that way.
    I agree that discretion is necessary when a couple decides not to be monogamous. But, having a prospective partner out you doesn't mean you've breached an agreement with your spouse. You are, of course, entitled to judge people this way if that is your wont.

It's bad enough when ANYONE cheats on their spouse or is propositioning massage therapists or whatever, but when the couple in question is in the public eye, it's particularly bad because you're humiliating your partner in public. Obviously, whatever two adults decide their marriage is going to be is their business but, if you're famous, I think it's your responsibility to NOT act like a dirt bag and cause embarrassment to your spouse.
    And that's the root of the issue, in my opinion. The public has an insatiable voyeuristic appetite when it comes to celebritries. The only upside of this, for the couple involved, is that - gay or straight - they are accustomed to it either personally in their own lives, or in the lives of other celebrities with whom they are acquainted.

And there is the general upside for them: we have about a 36-hour attention span for this crap. Then we are on to something else.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 05-27-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    Florimel likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Poppy - we're just going to have to agree to disagree and move on

They really should take away Amanda Bynes' drivers license: Amanda Bynes Accused of ANOTHER Hit-and-Run | TMZ.com
    I think this is the third accident in maybe a month....or maybe the second accident and then she had a DUI as well I'm not sure. Someone had better step in and get this girl under control. She's gunning for the Lindsay Lohan Train Wreck award. She was probably drinking and thought she could get away and avoid another DUI. Nitwit. I'm glad at least that she seems not to have injured anyone.... this time.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Apparently, a photographer is accusing Justin Bieber of battery:
    Justin Bieber accused of battering man taking photos | Reuters

As my mom said to me earlier tonight, if you were a grown man would you really want to admit you got smacked down by Justin Bieber? It's like being beaten up by a little girl.

Bwahaha!!!! Poor kid can't catch a break. I'm not a fan of his music but I do think he's a good role model and he does a lot for charity and his fans. I read that a fan asked him to prom but since his schedule didn't allow it, he took her to the Billboards awards. I thought that was really sweet.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I'm sure he's a nice kid, but he looks like a 15 year old girl.....and not a particularly athletic one either. I'm pretty sure I could take him in a fight!

Apparently, the photographer was blocking Bieber's car so he couldn't leave. I don't even know what you do in that situation. A normal person would get out of the way, but if Bieber even nudged him with his car, the guy could sue him. I really wish some better laws would be passed to prevent that level of harassment. It's one thing to take pics of someone at events or out in public, but chasing them in a car and creating a dangerous situation or taking pics of their children at school is out of bounds, IMO.
    JavaJo likes this.

I could take him on with one arm tied behind my back.

This whole thing is a joke
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Apparently, I can take 27 Biebers in a fight: How many Justin Biebers could you take in a fight? Quiz - The Oatmeal
    JavaJo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Apparently, I can take 27 Biebers in a fight: How many Justin Biebers could you take in a fight? Quiz - The Oatmeal
    One more than me Critical. I can take on 26. But they are all with one hand tied behind my back.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread