+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4587Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy View Post
    Thank you! I really don't care about actors' private lives, to me they're entertainers whose performances I either like or dislike. I remember after Katherine Hepburn died there was an autobiography claiming she was gay or bi-sexual, that her relationship with Spencer Tracey wasn't a love affair, suggesting he was an alcoholic because he was conflicted about his sexuality, based on very scanty info from rumors, etc. Who cares? She was the only 4-time Oscar winner for best actress, and I loved so many of her movies. Whether or not she was gay is irrelevant to me.
    While I agree, it shouldn't matter, those times were different. One didnt' come out of the closet. I also never thought she was gay, maybe (big maybe) bi, I think she slept with Howard Hughes before meeting Tracey. Once she met him that was the end of that. I could be wrong, its been ages since I read a Hepburn bio.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    While I agree, it shouldn't matter, those times were different. One didnt' come out of the closet. I also never thought she was gay, maybe (big maybe) bi, I think she slept with Howard Hughes before meeting Tracey. Once she met him that was the end of that. I could be wrong, its been ages since I read a Hepburn bio.

I agree, those times were different, and I wouldn't have expected Hepburn or any of the other stars of that time to make any public announcements about their sexuality. They were under contract to the big studios who controlled what was printed about them (almost impossible to do now). I guess my point was, regardless if that bio had any truth to it, that information doesn't change my perception of her or the great legacy of entertainment she left us in her movies, nor does the lurid gossip about Travolta or Cruise change my enjoyment of their performances in several (but not all) of their movies.
    libgirl2 likes this.

Is anyone old enough to remember John's first love? He was madly in love with an actress named Diana Hyland. She starred on Eight Is Enough. They were a super couple when she got breast cancer. John loved her til the very end. When she died, it really hit him hard. It was thought he might not recover. Was he hetersexual then? Just kidding, but seriously, at the time he seemed very heterosexual.
    Here's an old article from People magazine after her death in 1977. John was in his twenties.

Life After Loss - John Travolta : People.com

I agree, those times were different, and I wouldn't have expected Hepburn or any of the other stars of that time to make any public announcements about their sexuality. They were under contract to the big studios who controlled what was printed about them (almost impossible to do now). I guess my point was, regardless if that bio had any truth to it, that information doesn't change my perception of her or the great legacy of entertainment she left us in her movies, nor does the lurid gossip about Travolta or Cruise change my enjoyment of their performances in several (but not all) of their movies.
    I agree, it wouldn't make a difference to me. I think with Travolta its the whole Scientology tie in that makes people say AHA!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Is anyone old enough to remember John's first love? He was madly in love with an actress named Diana Hyland. She starred on Eight Is Enough. They were a super couple when she got breast cancer. John loved her til the very end. When she died, it really hit him hard. It was thought he might not recover. Was he hetersexual then? Just kidding, but seriously, at the time he seemed very heterosexual.
    Here's an old article from People magazine after her death in 1977. John was in his twenties.

I remember that very well.
    Debb70 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Me too. She was the mom on Eight is Enough. I think they met when they did "Boy in the Plastic Bubble"
    norealityhere and Debb70 like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I remember that too. Back then, the older woman/younger man aspect of their relationship got a lot of attention. I also remember it was said that he and Olivia Newton-John were together for awhile when they made Grease. The guy Olivia ended up marrying looked a lot like John, so I always thought the rumors may have been true, but Olivia is on record stating they were only friends.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Me too. She was the mom on Eight is Enough. I think they met when they did "Boy in the Plastic Bubble"
    But only for 4 episodes.

I never cared about Travolta's sexuality and I still really don't. My only problem would be if he IS gay he's created this whole subterfuge to hide it and brought a bunch of other people into the lie. I just don't have respect for that. It's different from just not speaking about your sexuality. I guess that's his business and his wife's business, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth because of the statement it makes about being gay. If you go to that much trouble to hide your sexuality, what does that say about how you feel about gays? Scientology is probably anti-gay as well

Incidentally, I have the same disdain for actors like Luke Evans, who used to be out, but has now decided going back into the closet will help his career. Even though there are still all these interviews out there where he talks about being gay, he's now got a beard and they're pretending to be dating. It's just ridiculous. I loved him in Tamara Drewe and didn't care that he was gay. I still thought he was believable as a straight love interest for the lead actress.

I think JT is long past being considered a sex symbol, IMO. It's not like being gay has hurt actors like Matt Bomer or Neil Patrick Harris or many others. Amber Heard is a rising star and her sexual orientation isn't hurting her ability to get sexy bombshell roles. If nothing else, she can break down some stereotypes about how some people think all lesbians look.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I remember that too. Back then, the older woman/younger man aspect of their relationship got a lot of attention. I also remember it was said that he and Olivia Newton-John were together for awhile when they made Grease. The guy Olivia ended up marrying looked a lot like John, so I always thought the rumors may have been true, but Olivia is on record stating they were only friends.
    I suspect John and Olivia were very good friends, I believe they remain very good friends today.Its nice to see good friendships stay the same. It shows they are doing something right in that relationship.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post

Yes, I remember. I always liked Diana Hyland as an actress and their story is one I won't forget, although I absolutely support privacy for entertainers who want it. The scandalmongers have gone overboard these days and I avoid things like Entertainment Tonight, Star, National Enquirer, and their ilk like the plague. Their sexuality and love lives, what they name their children, what they choose to wear -- all of these and more are none of my business and so-called scandal doesn't interest me. Talent does.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread