+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4618Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Not surprised at all. Even if those specific allegations are false, I'm sure there are some true ones coming. There have been rumors about him for decades now. Eventually someone was going to talk. The fact that Scientology is a super-homophobic organization (I refuse to call that bunch of wackos a religion) means he'll never admit it. Neither him nor Tom Cruise will ever come out.

I'm sure there are stories about a lot of stars that would, as they say, curl your hair! Some of the blind items I've read on various entertainment blogs are pretty horrifying, even they're only half-true. There are a lot of celebs whose careers would be ruined if those kinds of stories came out about them. I don't doubt that many of the public personas of various stars are cleverly crafted and total b.s. Remember ladies' man Rock Hudson?
    The point is that unless what he, or anyone else does is an outright crime, it's nobody's business but his own & no one has the right to "out" someone who doesn't want to be "outed". That includes gay groups, straight groups, or attention seekers or trouble makers of any kind.
    Whether a person is straight, homosexual, or bisexual, it's their own darned business unless they chose to tell us differently.
    Rock Hudson is a perfect example. He had a great career going as a "manly man". He chose to keep his homosexuality to himself to keep his career strong. Nothing wrong with that. It was his choice.
    If the public is enjoying an illusion, let them keep enjoying it. No harm done.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    The point is that unless what he, or anyone else does is an outright crime, it's nobody's business but his own & no one has the right to "out" someone who doesn't want to be "outed". That includes gay groups, straight groups, or attention seekers or trouble makers of any kind.
    Whether a person is straight, homosexual, or bisexual, it's their own darned business unless they chose to tell us differently.
    Rock Hudson is a perfect example. He had a great career going as a "manly man". He chose to keep his homosexuality to himself to keep his career strong. Nothing wrong with that. It was his choice.
    That's very much how I feel, well said!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I could care less if anyone is gay or straight. What I care about is all the subterfuge and lying and the sleazy behavior behind the scenes. I don't care if Travolta behaved like that with a male or a female masseuse. It's wrong, whatever his sexual orientation. I'm sure that there have been many people who could tell stories like that, but have been given lots of money to NOT speak up.....and I don't mean just in JT's case. It's what happens when people get too famous and too rich and think they can do whatever they want and there will be no consequences.

I stopped being a fan of Travolta a long time ago. I lost what little respect I did have for him when I read an interview with a man who has a son with Autism. Travolta's oldest son (the one who died) was autistic. The man approached JT wanting to talk about it and ask him what they did to help their son. JT said that they exposed him to music and the arts Scientology doesn't support any sort of treatment for conditions like Autism. I was surprised that he finally admitted that his son was autistic, but I couldn't help thinking how much better his son's quality of life (and I don't mean money) would have been if his parents hadn't listened to that ridiculous religion and had gotten him some help.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I don't really view this as someone trying to "out" another. Sex sells. Scandal sells...and it doesn't matter if it's hetero or homosexual. I think if you don't want sexy scandals to become public fodder, then behave yourself when dealing with people you don't know.
    I have no idea if any of this (going way back to this type of behavior w/John T) is true, if he's gay..nor do I care. But once you're in the public eye, behave in a way that you want the public to see.
    And as for Rock Hudson, he definitely didn't "choose" to keep his sexuality private...that was decided by the studio and his contract.
    I do agree, anyone's sexuality is their private business. But using Rock as an example, there were sometimes little rumors but it was mostly speculation which tells me, he was discreet about his behavior. He can act anyway he wants in life but when you're a celeb, behave the way you want to be viewed as, because you're always in the spotlight and people are always ready for something juicy.
    (sorry, I seemed to have been extraordinarily redundant in the post and it's late and I'm too lazy to correct it all )

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I don't really view this as someone trying to "out" another. Sex sells. Scandal sells...and it doesn't matter if it's hetero or homosexual. I think if you don't want sexy scandals to become public fodder, then behave yourself when dealing with people you don't know. I have no idea if any of this (going way back to this type of behavior w/John T) is true, if he's gay..nor do I care. But once you're in the public eye, behave in a way that you want the public to see.
    If you are really thinking about what is best for you, you will also behave yourself when dealing with people that you think you DO know. There's a lot to be said for keeping your "circle of friends" very small, whether you're gay or not.
    JulieAnn likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I agree that a person should not be "outted" just because....but when it is kept secret there are a lot of people that get hurt when it does come out. (based on personal experience) And eventually it will, because that is what sells.
    There's no place like home!

I like Travolta, I always have . Same goes for Tom Cruise. I guess I like their movies, nothing about their private lives, or, not so private lives really interests me that much
    Florimel, Miss Scarlet and Debb70 like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I like Travolta, I always have . Same goes for Tom Cruise. I guess I like their movies, nothing about their private lives, or, not so private lives really interests me that much
    Amen to that!

Hey, that's why they make lots of different movies. I don't like either of them and haven't for a long time. That has to do with their movies and what I think is a lack of acting ability more than anything in their personal lives.
    tapper01 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Thank you! I really don't care about actors' private lives, to me they're entertainers whose performances I either like or dislike. I remember after Katherine Hepburn died there was an autobiography claiming she was gay or bi-sexual, that her relationship with Spencer Tracey wasn't a love affair, suggesting he was an alcoholic because he was conflicted about his sexuality, based on very scanty info from rumors, etc. Who cares? She was the only 4-time Oscar winner for best actress, and I loved so many of her movies. Whether or not she was gay is irrelevant to me.

+ Reply to Thread