+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5268Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

And she's a smoker, too.
    Count your blessings!

I happened to see a few minutes of her on Dr. Oz a few weeks ago and he was giving her what for about the smoking. I wonder if he knew or had any inkling about the diabetes. It really didn't seem to me like she took her health very seriously.

I hope she can turn things around and get her diabetes controlled AND quit smoking. She's still a young woman.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion, Big Truck Adventure Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar

I agree with Bourdain. I think it is ridiculous that she was able to profit so well off her foods that, in theory, can be a significant factor in a person getting diabetes, then she gets to profit well off of the drug to treat the disease that her food contributed to. Its like the tobacco industry selling "quit smoking" aids or the Kardashians selling brain regeneration drugs. It just doesn't sit well with me. It almost comes off like Paula is getting a reward from the drug company for creating a large customer base for the drugs they sell.
    maude~flanders likes this.

She did say she does not eat like her cooking shows every day.The only time was during the actual show, which if I remember correctly was about 35 a year. I use some of her recipes BUT I would change how much butter, sugar. She is making the talk show circuit now because her son is starting a new show using her old recipes and cutting the calories, fat, and sugar from them.
    As for the smoking, I was surprised to learn that many chefs smoke. I think it was Gordon Ramsey that came out with this. He does not and speaks out against smoking because of his father. I always wondered how the chefs can taste anything if they are a smoker. I know food became more flavorful after I quit 3 yrs ago.
    There's no place like home!

At the end of the day, people are adults and they make their own decision about whether to make and eat her food. I get that. The part that leaves a really bad taste in my mouth is that she has apparently had diabetes for a few years. So she knew she had it, she knew her food was unhealthy and yet, she kept going. The "story" (I don't know if it is true) is that she was waiting to disclose the information until her deal with the drug company was finalized. So yeah, while Bourdain is definitely no health nut himself, I gotta give it to him on this one - the way she handled the whole thing just stinks to me.
    maude~flanders and Bunny555 like this.

FORT Fogey

I can't figure out how she could have kept it a secret for so long. She must be offered all sorts of foods that she shouldn't be eating while making public appearances. How could she turn it all down without offending people who made it for her? Normally, I'd say one's health issues are one's own business, but when it's something like diabetes, where it affects what you can eat, if you eat in public at all, you pretty much have to let people know it's an issue for you. And really, why not go public with it and do what her son apparently is doing now: show people ways to make traditional Southern foods they might crave in a healthier way. Non-diabetics would be interested in that too.

I don't know that if I were diabetic that I'd really want to try a drug just because a celebrity chef endorsed it either, but I might be willing to try a recipe. Or an artificial sweetener that worked well as a substitute in baking/cooking. Those kind of endorsements or marketing moves would make more sense to me, because cooking, not drug development, is what a chef does.

And yeah, I don't get why so many chefs smoke either, since smoking can really affect the palate. It generally isn't good for blood pressure either, and being a chef can be a high pressure job.

Well, I hope she can turn this all around.Your health is your wealth.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I remember Paula Deen preparing one of her recipies on Oprah, and Oprah expressing dismay over the amount of butter called for. Paula's response: "I'm your cook, not your doctor."

I don't particularly think her health issue was anyone's business until she disclosed it - which she had to do because she'll be promoting the drug she's taking for diabetes. Since Paula does not appear to be obese, I have to wonder if she eats this fare (or a high calorie diet) regularly. Maybe it's lack of exercise? Heredity? Who knows?

I would think eating that cuisine frequently (even with a concomittant increase in BMI) is just as likely to give you a stroke or a heart attack (or even cancer) as it is to give you diabetes. I hope she gets her health back under control.

Immoderate eating (and drinking) is risky business. But we all knew that before we ever heard of Paula Deen. I really don't think it was "sneaky" of her to keep her medical problems to herself.

BTW: Anthony and a lot of other chef-lebrities need to lay off the copious amouts of salt they add to their dishes. That's a killer, too.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 01-18-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Poppy I said the same thing about the salt! I have a friend that is on meds for high cholesterol, he assumes that the meds lower it, and continues to eat as he always has. I dont understand his mindset.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

From what I've gathered, heredity is not Paula's problem. She says she is the first person in her family with diabetes. She also said that she has gone down a size since being dianosed. From what I've noticed about newly diagnosed diabetics, they tend to go through this period of denial....a "honeymoon period", if you will. She says that her type of diabetes is about weight and exercise. We have diabetics on this site who can speak to this problem much more eloquently than can I. I do know that continued smoking can lead to amputation, as it did in my MIL. Smoking constricts the blood vessels and affects circulation.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread