+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4587Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Silly name
    Beyond silly. And what portion of the name is Carter, anyway? Is it Jay-Z's real last name? Either way, there's absolutely no ring to the name. Hell, even Ivy Blue would have had a better ring to it, than Blue Ivy. Blue Ivy sounds like it should be the name of a night club or something....like I could hear someone saying, "Things gonna be poppin' down at the Blue Ivy tonight!"

I don't get why these celebrity types try so desperately hard to be different when it comes to naming their children. It's one thing to stroke their own egos by trying to come up with names that sound different than everyone else's names, but we're not naming a dog here...we're naming a child, who one day has to go to school (ok, so I'm exaggerating, I'm sure she'll never darken the doors of a public school), and exist amongst her peers with such a name. Poor little girl...
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

According to People, here is some of the meaning behind the name: Blue is big for Jay-Z (I apologize, I don't know his albums) - apparently he has three titled "Blueprint" and he proclaims he is the blueprint for rappers? Ivy - apparently based off the roman numeral IV, which is Beyonce's favorite number and important to both of them (birthdays, wedding date, etc.). And yes, bee stung, if I am remembering correctly, Jay-Z's real name is Shawn Carter.

It is not only the rich and famous coming up with off the wall names. I wonder at times at parents.....My mother taught 1st grade and chose names for all of us that a 1st grader would not have a problem spelling or pronouncing, but then that was back in the dark ages.
    There's no place like home!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

After working Angel Tree, I know it's not just the celebs who want "different" names. Blue Ivy sounds like a wallpaper in the discontinued bin, to me....like from the 60s.

I remember two of my stepson's classmate's names, according to the yearbook, were Marijuana. I kid you not!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    When she is at school, it will sound stupid Parents dont think ahead
    When I had my daughter, I thought hard over a name. I didn't think about school, though. I picked a name that I could picture both a child and an older lady named. I just can't imagine being in your 70's with a name like Apple.

As for Blue, I am not liking the name. It reminds me of my sisters dog, who is names Blue. Oh well, at least they are both female.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Fort Member

As I have mentioned before, being one of the ordinary with what my hippy parents believed was a well thought out name but totally embarassing once I started school (Lucynda is one of my 4 (yep 4) middle names),
    I have always imagined that it is probably far less of an issue to those of famous parents as they will mingle and go to school with children with odd names with special meaning for parents, unlike me,
    and it will be James Broderick, Charlotte Prinze and Coco Arquette who will be the odd ones out.

I know I have heared the name Blue before and it has always sounded like a sad name to call a child to me, its not cheerful or happy, the word is used to describe feeling sad, you feel blue or are in a blue mood,
    and in Australia if say you had a blue with someone, then you had a very big fight with them Also Beyond Blue is the suicide help line so to me its just not a happy name its quite sad
    and teamed with Ivy it just sounds sadder

I went to high school with a guy named Blue. He was gorgeous. I always thought it was a cool name

Am I the only one who doesn't believe Beyonce actually carried a baby and gave birth? Pregnancy tummy aside, nothing about her looked pregnant. Plus, there's that now-infamous video of her bump collapsing as she sat down during that TV interview. I'd be surprised if she didn't have a surrogate.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My daughter's name is Blue. Believe me, we're having quite a chuckle with Beyonce's choice... "Maybe now you'll be able to find your name on key chains and bicycle vanity plates." By the way, she's always loved her name and gotten positive feedback from others. Her middle name is my maiden name, which happens to be a noun. We've joked in the past along the lines that if she married Larry Bird, she'd be Blue Bird. If she married a boy in her class with the last name of Berry, she'd be Blue Berry. There are more, but you get the idea. It's not depressing at all.
    Hyper, Bunny555 and JavaJo like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    When I had my daughter, I thought hard over a name. I didn't think about school, though. I picked a name that I could picture both a child and an older lady named. I just can't imagine being in your 70's with a name like Apple.

As for Blue, I am not liking the name. It reminds me of my sisters dog, who is names Blue. Oh well, at least they are both female.
    LOL

I pefer it as a second name or the middle name.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I went to high school with a guy named Blue. He was gorgeous. I always thought it was a cool name

Am I the only one who doesn't believe Beyonce actually carried a baby and gave birth? Pregnancy tummy aside, nothing about her looked pregnant. Plus, there's that now-infamous video of her bump collapsing as she sat down during that TV interview. I'd be surprised if she didn't have a surrogate.

I know a black guy who has blue eyes and people call him Blue.

RE Beyonce's alleged non-pregnancy, no you're not the only one who wonders if she was really pregnant, especially since the collapsing belly incident. I wouldn't put it past her to have had a surrogate carry the baby for her. Still not entirely convinced she was actually preggers.

But you and I are probably the odd ones out here...lol
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread