+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4948Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

What I've never understood is why, when you know you're going to be in a huge venue, do you not study up and practice for a song that is known for its difficulty? Why would you set yourself up like that? I don't mind people throwing their own special embellishments on it, after all this is a superbig show, but the words are never-changing.

People also don't know the words to the Pledge of Allegiance. That just stuns me. I learned all of this stuff in grade school. Did they not have to learn it? We did the 'Pledge' EVERYDAY in grade school.

This is such a sad statement on the educational standards of our country. I am thankful, everyday, for the education that I received. It's just the basic stuff, people.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Christina's performed the National Anthem before and done beautifully. She probably just got "lost" in the song for a second. It sucks, but I don't think it means she's unpatriotic or doesn't know the words
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

OK, so I don't understand how you "get lost" if you know the words.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I don't know, I wouldn't be able to tell you my name if I was standing in that stadium in front of that many people. I'm not a professional singer, but I know that the echo in stadiums is really bad and heck, it's a huge event. I can imagine getting overwhelmed. She knows the words - she's sung it at events many times over the years, beginning when she was little. I'm not her biggest fan, but I think she has a beautiful voice and really feel for her in light of all the people attacking her.

Plenty of singers have "forgotten" the words to songs they've written when singing them in concert. I think sometimes you can get caught up in the moment and have a brain fart.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;4182615;
    I very much agree. I don't know why these pop singers have to turn it into a screech fest that no one else can sing along with. Just trying to prove something, I guess. I would rather hear it sung the way it was intended to be - a good voice is nice, but it should be simple and the crowd should be able to sing along. It our anthem!
    Whitney Houston did it best, IMO, years back at the halftime show. Christina definitely has the voice to do it, but last night just wasn't her night for whatever reason. She's better than that performance.

Now, don't get me started on what I thought of the Black Eyed Peas...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I didn't see the performance, but obviously the news has been playing it non-stop.
    I do understand that singers try to put their own spin on the song and, while I do think it gets a bit much at times, I do think they should be allowed to do it their own way.
    In fairness to Christina, I am certain she knew the words to it. I cannot imagine how stressful a performance like that must be, even to an accomplished performer, so I am more than willing to cut her some slack.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4182712;
    OK, so I don't understand how you "get lost" if you know the words.
    I used to be in a band. A few times I forgot the words to songs that I had actually written. Stuff happens.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fanatic

I think the Black-Eye Peas, and Usher were robbed by the sound quality. Christina has the voice, and just messed up on the words.
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Christina's performance. Ugh...how embarrassing. As someone else mentioned, study up on the lyrics so you can prevent this sort of mishap. She knew well in advance that she'd be performing the national anthem. Instead of focusing on how she could use the Superbowl to make her rendition of the anthem the performance of the decade, she should have been focusing on grasping the lyrics. The worst part of it is her silly excuse about getting lost and not remembering where she was in the song.

But whatever. I know mistakes happen even to the best of us. My biggest problem with Christina is the way she riddles each and every song with silly vocal gymnastics. Lame, lame, lame! Why can't the song be sung in a simple manner? The saddest part is that ones vocal talents are more oft than not, measured by how many runs they can fit within one song phrase as opposed to how well they can deliver, clean vocals. Such a shame that the meanings of great songs get lost in the muck and mire of unnecessary runs and fills.

A great song, such as the national anthem, stands on its own merits for its meaning and poetic lyrics. Sadly all the meaning is lost when one makes it all about his/herself and his/her attempts to impress an audience with how "great" vocals they have, and "look at me and how long I can hold this note".

Give me the clear, pure vocals of an Ella Fitzgerald any day over all this over-stylized nonsense. Incredible vocal talent without all the self-indulgence. That's what I call real singing.
    Last edited by bee stung lips; 02-07-2011 at 04:41 PM.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

If I am not mistaken, CA released her first cd in 1999 - so she's had about a dozen years to get used to performing in front of large crowds. While Cowboys stadium holds more people than your average concert stadium, I'm sure that - collectively - she's performed in front of that many people many many times over.

I don't buy the poor sound quality, echo, hard to hear excuses either.

Go to YouTube and search for the video of Anthony Fedorov (of American Idol fame - Season 4) singing the National Anthem at the Steelers & Jaguars game on October 5th, 2008. The echo was fierce. He dealt with it - in an open stadium - with pyrotechnics exploding behind him.

Now I can sit and listen to Anthony all day long, so I say this with love . . . . he is a "rookie" when compared to the "professional" who messed things up so badly. And it wasn't a one time event either. Anthony has performed at other sporting events (baseball, basketball and hockey) and done a fine job. While you are there, listen to him sing at the MN Wild Game 12/26/10.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread