+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5193Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4148250;
    Latest casting news flash.

Seems Amy Adams bears such a striking resemblance to Janis Joplin and, of course, a great singing voice, so she is going to play Ms. Joplin in a new movie!

WTH!!!!
    Resemblence??!!! oh, yeah, they were both female!!
    Otherwise, nothing at all.

I was lucky enough to be in high school and college during the begining of all that great music, Beatles, Stones, Mamas and Papas, Janice, etc so I feel like I knew them well (which, of course, I didn't at all!)

Janice was one gutsy tough broad. Don't see that in Amy Adams at all, even with the very best acting coach in the world. Amy seems like the kind of person who only eats raw food, wants to save the planet from global warming and loves anything green. Janice pretty much thumbed her nose at all of that kind of stuff.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I have no idea who Amy Adams is.

But no one, and I mean no one, could portray Joplin (at least while singing!) I saw her at the Newport Jazz Festival and with Big Brother and the Holding Company at the Filmore East. She is/was inimitable.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4149295;

But no one, and I mean no one, could portray Joplin (at least while singing!) I saw her at the Newport Jazz Festival and with Big Brother and the Holding Company at the Filmore East. She is/was inimitable.
    Just off the top of my head, she was the cheerleader in Drop Dead Gorgeous, Will Ferrell's assistant and eventual love interest in Talledega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, the lead in the recent fairytale movie Enchanted, the nun in training in the movie Doubt with Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman, and currently is playing opposite Mark Wahlberg in The Fighter.

Playing Janis Joplin is... out of character, as you can see. She generally plays sweet as sugar. She's a good actress though, and has gotten some award buzz for some of those parts.
    _(Moo!)

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4149295;
    A two time Oscar nominee.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Amy Adams was nominated for best supporting actress in the indie film Junebug a few years back. She's also been nomiated for Golden Globes and Screen Actor Guild awards. Her range is pretty amazing. From Disney's Enchanted to the dark `Doubt.' Other roles inclde The Fighter, Charlie Wilson's War and so forth as others have mentioned. IMO, You can't judge whether or not anyone is right for a role until you actually see them in that role.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

To me, Amy Adams will always be Julie from Julie and Juila (Childs). She's adorable, seems like a fairly good actress but Janice Joplin??? Nope. But it certainly won't be the first time, nor the last, that I disagree with Hollywood's casting decisions.

When I watched Confessions of a Shopaholic I kept thinking the actress was Amy Adams but it was Isla Fisher. It was very distracting for the rest of the movie once I figured out it was a different actress. You could cast either of them in a movie and I'd hardly notice the difference. Same voice, mannerisms, it's eerie!

I think Kirsten Dunst with some weight on her and not glammed up would be a better fit for the Janis Joplin role.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 01-16-2011 at 07:57 AM.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

I am predisposed to hate any movie they make about Janis Joplin - and that's because I'm a lifelong fan of hers. I cannot think of one single young actress in the whole plastic-surgeried, tabloid headline-chasing, starved to 0% body-fat lot of them that are currently enjoying celebrity status.

At any rate, Joplin's story was told (somewhat) in The Rose back in the '70's. Bette Midler was suitable for the role for several reasons - not conventionally attractive, a singer, and clearly vulnerable while affecting a tough exterior. I cannot imagine who they will get in this day and age. Presumably they will take Amy Adams, ugly her up (like they did for Charlize Theron), have her put on a few pounds (Renee Zelliweger) and give her singing lessons (Reese Witherspoon). And we will be expected to fall all over her for her manufactured "transformation" and she'll garner herself a few award nominations because she was so "convincing". Sigh.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4149627;
    I am predisposed to hate any movie they make about Janis Joplin - and that's because I'm a lifelong fan of hers. I cannot think of one single young actress in the whole plastic-surgeried, tabloid headline-chasing, starved to 0% body-fat lot of them that are currently enjoying celebrity status.

At any rate, Joplin's story was told (somewhat) in The Rose back in the '70's. Bette Midler was suitable for the role for several reasons - not conventionally attractive, a singer, and clearly vulnerable while affecting a tough exterior. I cannot imagine who they will get in this day and age. Presumably they will take Amy Adams, ugly her up (like they did for Charlize Theron), have her put on a few pounds (Renee Zelliweger) and give her singing lessons (Reese Witherspoon). And we will be expected to fall all over her for her manufactured "transformation" and she'll garner herself a few award nominations because she was so "convincing". Sigh.
    Very well stated. Exactly what I wanted to say but didn't have the words like you did. Janice was unique and it would be hard to find someone (unless it's an unknown) to portray her accurately. Bette Midler did do a good job in The Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;4149397;
    Amy Adams was nominated for best supporting actress in the indie film Junebug a few years back. She's also been nomiated for Golden Globes and Screen Actor Guild awards. Her range is pretty amazing. From Disney's Enchanted to the dark `Doubt.' Other roles inclde The Fighter, Charlie Wilson's War and so forth as others have mentioned. IMO, You can't judge whether or not anyone is right for a role until you actually see them in that role.
    I completely agree. Amy Adams is very talented with range for drama and comedy. She was fantastic in Doubt and I I thought she stole Junebug.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread