+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5276Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

"Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'll have to admit that I'll probably watch the wedding, too, but that's about when I want to start watching it. I'll record it. I sure won't be getting up; who knows, maybe I'll have insomnia and need something to do. I watched Diana's funeral, and boo-hooed my way through it. They are cute, and I do wish them well.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Former KC and the Sunshine Band bassist sentenced on teen sex charges

Former KC and the Sunshine Band bassist sentenced on teen sex charges

Monday, December 6, 2010 02:23 PM
    By Josh Jarman

NEWARK, Ohio -- A man who helped establish the beat of disco music was sentenced to seven years in prison today after pleading no contest to sexually abusing teen boys.

Richard Finch, 56, former bassist for KC and the Sunshine Band, was found guilty by Licking County Common Pleas Judge W. David Branstool of one count of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, three counts of importuning and seven counts of sexual imposition. The counts cover seven victims, including three who were from 13 to 16 years old at the time, according to court records.

Finch has been held in the Licking County jail since his arrest in March by deputy sheriffs. His bond was later set at $500,000.

The musician's trial was delayed twice by requests to have Finch evaluated by psychologists to see if he was able to understand the charges against him. Defense attorneys maintained that Finch suffered a head injury from a motorcycle accident that may have limited his ability to assist in his defense.

Both evaluations determined Finch was fit to stand trial.

A boy first contacted the Licking County sheriff's office in February and said Finch had sexual contact with him at Finch's Licking County home, Sgt. Chris Slayman said. In an interview with detectives, Finch admitted having sexual contact with the boy, as well as with several other boys, Slayman said.

Officers said Finch and the boy had met through their shared interest in the music industry. Finch ran a studio from his house where he recorded young, aspiring musicians, according to news stories printed before his arrest.

Finch's former band mate Harry "KC" Casey quickly distanced himself from the musician after the arrest by placing a statement on the band's website that disputed Finch's contention that he had a hand in creating the 1970s disco icon.

"While his talent contributed to the early success of the KCSB sound, his involvement ended in 1980," Casey wrote. "The serious allegations confronting Mr. Finch have nothing to do with me nor with KC & the Sunshine Band."

In a statement released on his website today, Finch's publicist asked supporters to "please bow your head and say a prayer for Rick."

Aretha Franklin Has Pancreatic Cancer

Sad news. Aretha is in my prayers!

-Unknown Author-

So sad. I guess we know why she canceled a bunch of concerts a while back. Whenever it's pancreatic cancer, you know that's it. An article I read said the survival rate for pancreatic cancer is 5-10%, but is even lower for people her age and weight.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My Dad died of Pancreatic cancer, as did Patrick Swayze. It's more often than not a death sentence, I'm sorry to say. My Dad lived for 24 months after diagnosis. The problem is, by the time they become aware of it, usually it has spread to other organs, or, like my Dad, the tumor is too involved with major veins or organs to be removed safely. I wish Aretha and her family the very best, and hold them in my heart, knowing the road they are heading down. God bless...
    Congratulations Mickey and Pete!

When I read of Aretha's diagnosis of pancreatic cancer I went into a downward spin. Before I truly understood what that diagnosis meant, I went to a reunion with a high school friend who had just been diagnosed. I couldn't understand why she couldn't eat, and though she tried so hard, why she didn't have any energy. Now I know through her experience and through reading and I acknowledge that it is a death sentence.

From my reading I discovered, as sweetpea posted, that it is an extremely hard cancer to detect in the early stages, and once it is diagnosed, the cancer has involved too many other organs to be treated.

Aretha is a woman of faith and her family has asked for prayers.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

She will have my prayers daily. Cancer just sucks.........it just does!
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fogey

Awe sad news. I do not think anyone should go out that way just devastating. It is such a fear of mine to know death is imminent, and have to keep going. I think Michael Landon died of this type too.

I've also seen pancreatic cancer up close. My grandmother and uncle both died of the disease, and the most stunning part of it is watching how quickly the decline happens. They both went from going to the doctor for back pain to being dead within months of their diagnosis. It's a very painful, cruel disease. All anyone can truly offer her is prayer. Even with modern medicine they really have nothing to keep you comfortable.

The only person I've heard of lasting more than a year with pancreatic cancer is Steve Jobs, and I'm guessing he's one of those rare cases that caught it early. It's just not something doctors normally screen for. My mom had an early screening before her 60th birthday, and that was only done because she lost her mother and her brother to the disease before they turned 60. You really have to jump through a few hoops to get the insurance companies to pay for that test it seems.

ETA-Yes, Michael Landon did die of pancreatic cancer.

-Unknown Author-

+ Reply to Thread