+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 1166 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758981485481048 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 11653
Like Tree5270Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

  1. #471
    Fight Queen corprip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Roeland Park, KS
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by did_it_again;2151004;
    The audience member who made that comment did so after Richards started in on his racial tirade. Had richards had not gone there...........
    Not everyone fights racism with more racism. It is in Richards, and it is in the audience member too. They both acted on it. They are both wrong.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

  2. #472
    Dreamer rt1ky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Posts
    3,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Kao;2150569;
    What really got me wasn't the repeated usage of the "N" word but his references to lynching.
    Me too. I hate that word, but the lynching joke seemed to come so easily from his lips. That is such a violent act to committ on another human being. It makes you wonder. I really hope he does get some help and try to get rid of whatever "rage" as he calls it that he has. I also think Letterman was the wrong forum. I know Jerry was trying to help, but the audience laughter made it even more uncomfortable to watch.

  3. #473
    Amethyst Amy Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    whatever
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,091
    To make Michael Richards the villain here is letting others off too easy. "Cracker-ass" is just as offensive as the other word,
    Oh, really? Since when is saying cracker as offensive as saying the n-word? Last i checked, the latter had a long negative history.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

  4. #474
    FORT Fogey misskitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the Kat House in Kanada
    Posts
    7,704
    I did not see the show or the tape. I did not see the apology on Letterman. But I do believe that the shock of what Michael Richards said, isn't going to go away soon.
    -----------------------

    Richards Apologizes for Racial Slurs
    By LYNN ELBER, AP ONLINE

    LOS ANGELES (AP) - He called two black hecklers the "n-word" and enthusiastically referenced a time when blacks were often victims of civil rights abuses, but Michael Richards said his verbal barrage during a stand-up routine was fueled by anger and not bigotry.

    "For me to be at a comedy club and flip out and say this crap, I'm deeply, deeply sorry," the former "Seinfeld" co-star said during a satellite appearance for David Letterman's "Late Show" in New York.

    "I'm not a racist. That's what's so insane about this," Richards said, his tone becoming angry and frustrated as he defended himself.

    Richards described himself as going into "a rage" over the two audience members who interrupted his act Friday at the Laugh Factory in West Hollywood.

    His explanation was reminiscent of Mel Gibson's assertion that he wasn't anti-Semitic after he let off a barrage of Jewish slurs during a traffic stop last summer: despite what came out of his mouth, that's not what is inside him.

    Industry colleagues were in no hurry to accept Richards' apology.

    "Once the word comes out of your mouth and you don't happen to be African-American, then you have a whole lot of explaining," comedian Paul Rodriguez, who was at the Laugh Factory during Richards' performance, told CNN. "Freedom of speech has its limitations and I think Michael Richards found those limitations."

    Veteran publicist Michael Levine, whose clients have included comedians George Carlin, Sam Kinison and Rodney Dangerfield, called Richards' remarks inexcusable. Comics often face hecklers without losing their cool, he said.

    "I've never seen anything like this in my life," Levine said Monday. "I think it's a career ruiner for him...it's going to be a long road back for him, if at all."

    His Laugh Factory tirade began after the two clubgoers shouted at him that he wasn't funny. A videotape of the incident was posted on TMZ.com.

    Richards retorted: "Shut up! Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a ^@%#&*$ fork up your %@@!"

    He then paced across the stage taunting the men for interrupting his show, peppering his speech with racial slurs and profanities.

    "You can talk, you can talk, you're brave now mother&^#$@#! Throw his @^# out. He's a @#%^%#!" Richards shouted before repeating the racial epithet over and over again.

    Moderating his tone at one point, Richards tells the audience, "It shocks you, it shocks you" and refers to "what lays buried."

    While there is some chuckling in the audience throughout the outburst, someone can be heard gasping "Oh my God" and people respond with "ooh" after Richards uses the n-word.

    Eventually someone calls out: "It's not funny. That's why you're a reject, never had no shows, never had no movies. `Seinfeld,' that's it."

    Jerry Seinfeld, who had issued a statement saying he was "sick over this horrible, horrible mistake" and calling it offensive, was scheduled as a Letterman guest Monday. He encouraged Richards to make a satellite appearance to talk about the incident, a CBS publicist said.

    Richards deserved the chance to apologize, Seinfeld said on "Late Show."

    "He's someone that I love and I know how shattered he is about" what happened, Seinfeld said.

    At one point, however, Richards grew flustered and expressed second thoughts about appearing on the program when his use of the term "Afro-American" caused some audience members to laugh.

    "I'm hearing your audience laugh and I'm not even sure that this is where I should be addressing the situation," he said.

    Richards, 57, who played Seinfeld's eccentric neighbor Kramer on the hit 1989-98 sitcom, hadn't spoken publicly about his remarks before "Late Show."

    With files from Jacob Adelman and Erin Carlson (AP).
    http://news.channels.aol.ca/entertai...20132609990006
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

  5. #475
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963
    Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2150978;
    ETA: The difference between the Michael Richards incident and Mel Gibson's anti-semitism is that Richards problems with racism are so latent, it came out during an outburst of anger; Gibson's problems with anti-semitism is so active, he made an entire movie disparaging Jews to express his hate. So while Richards is getting blacklisted, Gibson is promoting his new movie.
    ????? He made an entire movie disparaging Jews? Corprip, I completely understand where Jewish people had a difficult time with Passion of the Christ because the people that killed Jesus were Jewish. But... Jesus was a Jew. Most of his disciples were Jews. Mary was a Jew. The man that helped him carry the cross up the hill was a Jew. None of them were made to look bad in that movie, so I don't understand the comment that the entire movie was disparaging Jews. The movie depicted the Bible and didn't go out of it's way to change facts to express his hatred of Jews.

    Other than that, I don't see how your above quote expresses a difference between the two. In fact, I think I would rather a person express his hatred (which again, I disagree that Passion of the Christ does) in the form of a movie which people can choose to not see (think Michael Moore) than completely blindside the public with their racist and bigoted hatred.

    And..... you don't think Mel Gibson has been blacklisted?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

  6. #476
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,143
    Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2150978;
    ETA: The difference between the Michael Richards incident and Mel Gibson's anti-semitism is that Richards problems with racism are so latent, it came out during an outburst of anger; Gibson's problems with anti-semitism is so active, he made an entire movie disparaging Jews to express his hate. So while Richards is getting blacklisted, Gibson is promoting his new movie.
    The other obvious difference is that we have not and probably will not ever see the police video of Mel Gibson's tirade. While we may know the jist of what he said, seeing and hearing it makes it more concrete. I've never been a fan of either Mel Gibson or Michael Richards, so neither event really changed my opinion of them.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  7. #477
    Fight Queen corprip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Roeland Park, KS
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee
    Oh, really? Since when is saying cracker as offensive as saying the n-word? Last i checked, the latter had a long negative history.
    Both are equally offensive to me. Just because one has a longer history doesn't negate the other as an offensive insult. As I said, the racism is in both of their hearts. No one should get a pass, and those calling for Richards to do a better job at apologizing should also call on the disruptive audience member to apologize for his conduct.

    Broadway, we have different perspectives on the Passion, so for the sake of argument, I won't go too far with that. But no, I don't think Mel Gibson has been blacklisted. I think he has been slapped on the hand, shamed, etc., but he still holds considerable power. Otherwise, why wouldn't he mind showing up in his own commercial promoting his movie Mel Gibson's Apocalypta? If he was truly blacklisted, he would have been hidden from sight, and his name would be kept off the movie's title.
    Last edited by corprip; 11-22-2006 at 12:46 AM.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

  8. #478
    Fool... but no pity. Krom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    21,565
    Right off the bat, both Letterman and Leno led off tonight with Michael Richards jokes tonight.

    Whew. My flipper finger is tired. I suppose I'll check O'Brian, Ferguson, and Kimmel too eventually.

    Letterman also made jokes about a news story from last night about how Britney may battle K-Fed's move to sell sex tapes of them by releasing them herself for free. Federline's lawyer has stated for the press later in the day today that no such tape even exists though, so knowing that ruined Dave's joke a bit for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2151318;
    But no, I don't think Mel Gibson has been blacklisted. I think he has been slapped on the hand, shamed, etc., but he still holds considerable power. Otherwise, why wouldn't he mind showing up in his own commercial promoting his movie Mel Gibson's Apocalypta? If he was truly blacklisted, he would have been hidden from sight, and his name would be kept off the movie's title.
    Have you considered that the reason Gibson's name is still on the film and he still appears in the commercials is because he's got a huge ego and isn't recognizing the reality that his close identification with the film will only hurt it? Your argument about him "not minding" assumes he's doing the right thing. That's not the same thing as him being "blacklisted" of course--which is an action taken by other people. His own actions reflect his own wisdom, or lack thereof, not others. He put his name on that film and in the commercials--nobody else.
    Last edited by Krom; 11-22-2006 at 12:49 AM.

    "You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

  9. #479
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963
    Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2151318;
    Both are equally offensive to me. Just because one has a longer history doesn't negate the other as an offensive insult. As I said, the racism is in both of their hearts. No one should get a pass, and those calling for Richards to do a better job at apologizing should also call on the disruptive audience member to apologize for his conduct.
    I agree with the original poster in that the "cracker" comment came after the fact.. and the audience member was provoked in a racially insensitive manner. He was attacking back in the manner that he was attacked. By all accounts, Michael Richards wasn't provoked, so his actions were more uncalled for and he is the one more responsible for providing a sincere apology. It's like a fight at a football game; all players that got involved are responsible for their inappropriate actions, but it's ultimately the person that started the fight that bears the greatest penalty.

    Broadway, we have different perspectives on the Passion, so for the sake of argument, I won't go too far with that.
    To believe that Mel Gibson "created an entire movie just to express his hatred of Jews" means that 1) you haven't seen the movie, 2) you don't agree with the Bible, and/or 3) you're Jewish. All of those are absolutely fine, but just understand that Mel Gibson did not write the Bible and he did not create the actions or ethnicities of the characters involved in this movie.

    But no, I don't think Mel Gibson has been blacklisted. I think he has been slapped on the hand, shamed, etc., but he still holds considerable power. Otherwise, why wouldn't he mind showing up in his own commercial promoting his movie Mel Gibson's Apocalypta? If he was truly blacklisted, he would have been hidden from sight, and his name would be kept off the movie's title.
    Krom answered this portion, but I just have to ask if you are aware that Apocolypto is completely, 100% created, funded, and promoted by Mel Gibson?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

  10. #480
    Anarchist AJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charming
    Posts
    9,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2151519;
    I agree with the original poster in that the "cracker" comment came after the fact.. and the audience member was provoked in a racially insensitive manner. He was attacking back in the manner that he was attacked. By all accounts, Michael Richards wasn't provoked, so his actions were more uncalled for and he is the one more responsible for providing a sincere apology. It's like a fight at a football game; all players that got involved are responsible for their inappropriate actions, but it's ultimately the person that started the fight that bears the greatest penalty.
    I like your sports analogy, Broadway, but you could also argue that Richards was provoked, since the audience members had heckled him. If his act had gone on without audience interference, it probably wouldn't include any disparaging racial comments.

    It's not an excuse, of course. I think Richards truly believes, though, that he's not a racist. I think that he became irrationally angry about the heckling (something a stand-up comic should be inured to) and lashed out in a manner designed to hurt the hecklers as much as possible. Of course it was inappropriate, uncalled for, etc., etc. But I don't believe that Richards is burning crosses in his backyard, and I don't think latent racism was the reason behind his tirade.

    As for Mel Gibson, I haven't liked a movie of his since The Road Warrior, so whatever happens to him is a matter of supreme indifference to me.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.