+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4751Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3716796;
    I'm pretty sure Sarah is going to sell a whole lotta books.
    Crack sells well also. It doesn't mean it is good. I am sure it will make a Dick and Jane preschool Primer look like a work of art.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

I'm sure the "Palin book" it is an "as told to" book without much substance and a lot of political rhetoric such as we heard during the campaign.

After all how long has she been "working" on it?

I just hope her ghost (writer) is getting a bundle in their fee AND a percentage of the sales.

FORT Fogey

The New York times online has a very comprehensive article summarzing the Letterman situation--incluindg some info about the possibility of an internal investigation about possible sexual harrassment being an aspect of Letterman's various affairs with employees.

Here's an excerpt from the aqrticle--

"Debra S. Katz, a civil rights lawyer who specializes in sexual harassment cases, said it would be “reckless” for CBS not to conduct an internal investigation.

“CBS is definitely going to have to speak with him and find out who he had relationships with,” she said. “They’re going to have to reach back and see if these women think that the relationships were welcome.”

Several longtime associates of Mr. Letterman said he has a long history of pursuing relationships with employees, dating to his first days on television on NBC in the early 1980s. At that time he was known to frequently date interns and other young women connected to his show, one associate said.

His first longtime relationship was with Merrill Markoe, who was his head writer on his NBC show, “Late Night With David Letterman,” and before they became a couple, Mr. Letterman and Ms. Lasko worked together on his show. Some veterans of the show said it was well-known inside the production that he had also had a close relationship at one time with another previous assistant."

There's a lot more in the full article at--

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/03/bu...nted=1&_r=1&hp

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3716867;
    Crack sells well also. It doesn't mean it is good. I am sure it will make a Dick and Jane preschool Primer look like a work of art.
    It's got the world's most boring cover too.

I like Best Week Ever's take on it...

Sarah Palin's Book Cover Isn't Rogue Enough | Best Week Ever

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3716867;
    I didn't say it would be good, only that it would sell. The fact that she has so many fans still astounds me.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3716952;
    The New York times online has a very comprehensive article summarzing the Letterman situation--incluindg some info about the possibility of an internal investigation about possible sexual harrassment being an aspect of Letterman's various affairs with employees.

Here's an excerpt from the aqrticle--

"Debra S. Katz, a civil rights lawyer who specializes in sexual harassment cases, said it would be “reckless” for CBS not to conduct an internal investigation.

“CBS is definitely going to have to speak with him and find out who he had relationships with,” she said. “They’re going to have to reach back and see if these women think that the relationships were welcome.”

Several longtime associates of Mr. Letterman said he has a long history of pursuing relationships with employees, dating to his first days on television on NBC in the early 1980s. At that time he was known to frequently date interns and other young women connected to his show, one associate said.

His first longtime relationship was with Merrill Markoe, who was his head writer on his NBC show, “Late Night With David Letterman,” and before they became a couple, Mr. Letterman and Ms. Lasko worked together on his show. Some veterans of the show said it was well-known inside the production that he had also had a close relationship at one time with another previous assistant."

There's a lot more in the full article at--

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/03/bu...nted=1&_r=1&hp
    I dont know who the other staffers were but if one was in fact Stephanie she certainly felt comfortable enough to make frequent visits back to the Show.
    Im trying not to blindly defend Dave but I hate talking head lawyers sometimes.

CBS had come out the other day and said there were no harrassment allegations against him.
    I would assume that with the news they may go ahead and launch an investigation to cover themselves, just in case.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3717124;
    CBS had come out the other day and said there were no harrassment allegations against him.
    I would assume that with the news they may go ahead and launch an investigation to cover themselves, just in case.
    I've been thinking about this a lot ever since I read that CBS had said that.

And what I came up with was the possilibty that anyone who might have had a valid complaint was too scared about their job and about their career to make a complaint against someone as powerful as David Letterman.

I thought about a job I had (in an unrelated field) in which the boss made life h*ll for me and even though I had chances to make a complaint I never did because it was a small tight-knit community of a specialized type of medical worker and I didn't want to mess up my whole career.

Television production is a small closed world too.

I personally don't think the lack of legal claims is probative that there were not violations of sexual harrassment/hostile work envormonment created by Dave's sexual activiteis with multiple members of his staff.

Remember too--this was going on while he was living with the woman who is now his wife. So he was at the very least being disloyal to her and betraying her trust as well--contrary to the statements being made that he "wasn't married to her at the time."

Affairs by a partner--married to them or not--are hurtful and show an inability to commit emotionally.

Especially multiple such affairs--as Dave himself admits.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3716796;
    I'm pretty sure Sarah is going to sell a whole lotta books.

Cold Alaskan winter + need for kindling = you might be right.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3717106;
    I didn't say it would be good, only that it would sell. The fact that she has so many fans still astounds me.

Who was it that said the other day - the last half of the book would be empty because she got tired of it and just went home leaving someone else to finish it. Sadly, it was probably true.

+ Reply to Thread