+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4599Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

David Letterman sex extortion plot the story of a career jester's private transgressions made public

David Letterman sex extortion plot the story of a career jester's private transgressions made public

David Hinckley

Friday, October 2nd 2009, 2:21 AM
    Letterman shocked his audience by revealing he was the victim of a sex extortion plot.

It's not quite as serious a crime as extortion, but David Letterman played a nifty round of bait-and-switch with his audience last night.

Letterman had decided his studio audience was the crowd to whom he should break the news that someone had attempted to blackmail him. In fact, that someone already had been taken into police custody.

But the audience didn't know that, and Letterman didn't make that clear until well into a detailed narration delivered in classic Dave comic monologue style.

As he talked about finding a mysterious package in his car, the audience seemed to sense this was going to end up like one of those stories he used to tell about his driving.

By the time he got to the $2 million extortion demand, they were committed. They laughed right up to the end, where Dave said none of this was really very funny.

Really? Had us fooled.

He's right, of course, that extortion is not the stuff of comedy - except when it's framed as comedy by a pro like David Letterman, who consequently should not wonder why the media will treat this more as a celebrity "gotcha" story than as a victim thwarting a nasty blackmailer.

And honestly, it does feel like a great "gotcha" story.

When Letterman finally tied the knot with longtime girlfriend Regina Lasko in March, he joked that the holdup in getting to the altar was making sure the prenup was in order.

So now it's looking like maybe the real snag was the "forsaking all others" part.

Details, details.

His admission last night might make that joke either a little less funny if you are Lasko or the laugh of the year if you are Sarah Palin.

Letterman had an exchange this summer with Palin over his jokes about the sexual behavior of a Palin daughter. He subsequently apologized, and the matter seemed to fade.

Will he have similar luck with his wife?

What we don't know, of course, is whether Letterman simply had consensual relations with a fellow grownup at a time when both were free agents or whether other factors were at play, like age or job description.

We may never know, and frankly, it would be none of our business except that sometimes this stuff slips out and, okay, we love it when that happens.

In any case, Dave's performance last night ensured extortion will not be the main story here.

No, the story is a guy who almost every night jokes on television about the behavior of some famous person caught in an awkward situation.

The fact that Letterman does it with a smirk is part of his comic persona. But it's still a smirk, and that's not going to help him with, say, the women of America.

Now unless some of the inevitable leaking details prove truly lurid, it's unlikely this will derail his career.

But that doesn't lessen the bizarreness of his presentation last night.

Did any of us wake up yesterday morning figuring we'd go to bed thinking about David Letterman's sex life?

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile View Post
    I say kudos to Dave for taking the bull by the horns, opening up about this matter and refusing to submit to blackmail. Apparently (according to what I heard on the radio this morning) his relations with the woman in question took place while he was with the woman he married, but before they got married and before they had a kid. At any rate, even if they were married at the time, cheating on the spouse is a far less egregious sin than extortion, and honestly, it really isn't even the worst thing a spouse can do.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

It was at least 2 women, maybe more. I really don't give a rat's as* either. It's between he and his wife etc. I don't condone what he did, but I liked the way he handled it. My question is how would this fly if it was a female personality revealing this information? When they showed the clip of him revealing he had slept with staff members the audience clapped. I found that weird. Why were they clapping? Anyways, I'm glad they caught the extortionist. I have to wonder how much of this crap celebrities have to put up with since John Travolta also had to deal with an extortion attempt as well. It makes me sick.

I was in a hurry so I posted the most recent article I found on google...probably should have posted a more unbiased one from CNN.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Men and their penises.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I'm with you, prhoshay! I think they just need to make sure they work.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3716313;
    It was at least 2 women, maybe more. I really don't give a rat's as* either. It's between he and his wife etc. I don't condone what he did, but I liked the way he handled it. My question is how would this fly if it was a female personality revealing this information? When they showed the clip of him revealing he had slept with staff members the audience clapped. I found that weird. Why were they clapping? Anyways, I'm glad they caught the extortionist. I have to wonder how much of this crap celebrities have to put up with since John Travolta also had to deal with an extortion attempt as well. It makes me sick.

I was in a hurry so I posted the most recent article I found on google...probably should have posted a more unbiased one from CNN.
    Canuck--hi.

I've seen most of his speech and the audience reacted weirdly/"inappropriately" to most of it. They were stunned and not at all prepared for what they were hearing and he also handled it in his usual satirical tone of voice and mannerisms.

The audience was very confused by not only what they were being told but by his demeanor as well.

I don't blame them for not knowing how to react and for winging it.

It was a very bad scene and one he should not have foisted on them without some advance warning and prep.

I think as a society we have come to believe we have the right to know all about a "celebrity's" personal life. We all snark on who is doing what, sleeping with who, etc. Personally I could care less if Letterman slept with 1000 people, I was not one of them so it does not affect me and could not belive it was considered breaking news.
    There's no place like home!

FORT Fogey

Captain--hi. He went public to try to fend off blowback and consequences of his bahavior--probably lawsuits.

He also stated he is "trying to save his job."

I agree with you captain. Probably after watching all these reality shows I'm getting tired of seeing the "seedy underbelly". I'm glad he didn't capitulate to extortion, but I wonder how many lawsuits he will get from employees? Gah. I don't watch his show much, but it's TMI. Yeah, I get that he wanted to be the first to say something because the story may have come out, but still. As for the clapping, after thinking about that, most show tapings tell the audience when to clap etc., so I bet that is what was going on.

I'm betting that he personally would rather not have had this become public information at all. But if he had kept quiet, because it has become partially "public domain" by rightfully bringing in the authorities, it would have inevitably surfaced as some scurrilous what-is-he-hiding sex scandal and become massive tabloid fodder. Because he's not hiding, the whole thing should (fingers crossed) blow over in three days and the pop-culture vultures will move on to another target.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread