+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4592Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I may be wrong, but do they even need to build a case? Didn't he plead guilty and then flee before sentencing? Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that's where some people are causing confusion in the whole thing. He pled guilty to something like unlawful sex with a minor so he was never convicted of actual rape. Now, my opinion is there is a HUGE difference between some plea deal that is made between a rich man and a D.A., and what that rich man actually did.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

IMO...all they are going to do is slap him on the wrist and he will go on his merry way. This needs to be finished and off the books.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3715862;
    I may be wrong, but do they even need to build a case? Didn't he plead guilty and then flee before sentencing? Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that's where some people are causing confusion in the whole thing. He pled guilty to something like unlawful sex with a minor so he was never convicted of actual rape. Now, my opinion is there is a HUGE difference between some plea deal that is made between a rich man and a D.A., and what that rich man actually did.
    Lil Bit, you could absolutely be right, I assumed he fled in fear of prosecution. I just checked his wiki page and it claims he pled guilty to having unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor. It says he was released after a 42-day psychiatric evaluation and that he was likely to get probation for his crime.

Going by what wiki says - I'm no legal expert and I'm paraphrasing and drawing my own conclusions from the info there - it sounds like there is speculation about Polanski being in more trouble for fleeing the jurisdiction rather than the assault itself. This past February, Samantha Geimer filed to have the charges against Polanski dismissed from court. This bit is from the Sep 30th New York Times, snipped from wiki:

A critical step will most likely be a move to stop the extradition before United States authorities send the required documents to Switzerland. Mr. Polanski’s team may do so by arguing either that his crime does not qualify for extradition, because he was originally to have been sentenced to less than a year in prison, or that he has already effectively served his sentence, during a 42-day psychiatric evaluation.
    Again...on a practical level, I don't want to jump into the fray regarding just punishment or what Polanski may or may not deserve as a sentence - does it make sense to extradite someone, taking into account the huge expense and time spent by authorities, for someone to serve a sentence that amounts to less than a year in prison, or for time already served? There must be some intention to prosecute him for fleeing the jursidiction.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3715932;
    Lil Bit, you could absolutely be right, I assumed he fled in fear of prosecution. I just checked his wiki page and it claims he pled guilty to having unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor. It says he was released after a 42-day psychiatric evaluation and that he was likely to get probation for his crime.

He had already pled guilty to the lesser charge of sex with a minor. It doesn't matter how the victim feels, there won't be a trial for the original charge because that case is already completed...he just needs to serve his time. If there is a trial it would be on the fleeing charges only.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3715940;
    He had already pled guilty to the lesser charge of sex with a minor. It doesn't matter how the victim feels, there won't be a trial for the original charge because that case is already completed...he just needs to serve his time. If there is a trial it would be on the fleeing charges only.
    That's what I would assume as well, but that doesn't jive with Geimer filing for dismissal of the charges. I had no idea that a victim could or would make a legal move like that, but she wouldn't have done it if it didn't have an impact on the case. I'm way out of my depth with the legal intricacies here.

There's also the fact that the original sentence was extremely short (less than a year) and if he voluntarily completed a long-term psych evaluation and was released early from it, I have to wonder if there's any real chance he's going to serve time now anyway. That leaves fleeing the jurisdiction, but for someone who had such a short sentence anyway, why has it been pursued for 30 years? It doesn't seem logical. Again, I'm not moralizing on the topic, just speculating on the legalities.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Frankly I think this whole thing is about some prosecutor trying to make a name and less about justice. If they wanted Justice they have known where Mr. Polanski has been for years. Why now. Even the victim does want this mess to continue.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3716055;
    Frankly I think this whole thing is about some prosecutor trying to make a name and less about justice. If they wanted Justice they have known where Mr. Polanski has been for years. Why now. Even the victim does want this mess to continue.
    When you commit a crime it's against the state. It doesn't matter whether or not the victim wants it to continue unless it's a civil case. This so called "mess" would have cleared up years ago if this pedophile would have served his time. He would have been freed in a couple of months, that plea bargain is probably as sick as the crime, to go out and sexually assault other children.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

They have tried unsuccessfully to extradite him back many times. He finally got caught, that is why now
    There's no place like home!

Polanski fled from his sentencing, he was afraid the judge would not like the deal made between the D.A. and his own lawyer for the light sentence. He was already tried and convicted of the charges. He has spent the last however many years living in a country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with the U.S. He made a mistake, went somewhere that does and that's how they got him. At first the French govn't was leaning towards releasing him, now they're backpedalling and saying he should pay for his crime. If he gets back to the U.S., he will face sentencing for the original charges and will likely be prosecuted for fleeing the country.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Denna40;3716191;
    Polanski fled from his sentencing, he was afraid the judge would not like the deal made between the D.A. and his own lawyer for the light sentence. He was already tried and convicted of the charges. He has spent the last however many years living in a country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with the U.S. He made a mistake, went somewhere that does and that's how they got him. At first the French govn't was leaning towards releasing him, now they're backpedalling and saying he should pay for his crime. If he gets back to the U.S., he will face sentencing for the original charges and will likely be prosecuted for fleeing the country.
    Denna--hi. All you post is true--except for the part about his going to Switzerland and ergo being arrested.

He NOT ONLY HAS gone there a number of times but he apparently also has a HOUSE there.

The big deal about this trip is that the US issued an order that allowed Switzerland to issue a warrant for his arrest.

That's he difference between this visit and his many others.

The big question still remains--why now?

The DA's office claims it's been trying to get him detained and extradited for some time--but why only recently?

Why not for the past thirty years?

That's still the unaswered questin and yes it does lead people to the possibility of this being some sort of highly political move on the DA's part.

+ Reply to Thread