+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4584Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Makes a lot of sense to me.

A reluctant victim doesn't have to be there anyway, do they? This is criminal trial, and not a civil trial, right?

Hiding from things has never made things any better. The truth has a way of eventually coming out; I could see the children digging until they found out what they wanted to know.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 10-01-2009 at 09:49 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3712282;
    It was rape? I didn't realize that. I thought it was consexual.

In that case, yes, he needs to be brought back for trial.

Thanx for the clarification bt!
    The law states that there's no such thing as "consexual/consentual" sexual contact when it comes to a 13 year old child (even if the child initiates the sexual contact).

Polanski was the adult and it was his responsibility to pull back and say NO even if the youngster was a willing participant. He was the adult and she was the child. Period.

Shame on Whoopi Goldberg as well for her "It wasn't rape, rape" comment. Yeah, uh - what if it was HER 13 year old daughter? I am sickened by Whoopi's comment. Saw her on the news this morning and she's doing a whole lot of backpedaling today.

Am sick of these celebrities giving Polanski a pass for unacceptable behavior whether it was 30 years ago or not. No doubt he's a brilliant director but we're talking about the terrible lack of judgement he exhibited in his personal life, not professional.
    Last edited by beesknees; 10-01-2009 at 10:10 AM.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I thought this case was more about him fleeing than for the rape. I find it odd that we are easier on "celebrities" than the "common folk". A spade is a spade. A jerk is a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3715611;
    I thought this case was more about him fleeing than for the rape. I find it odd that we are easier on "celebrities" than the "common folk". A spade is a spade. A jerk is a jerk.
    And a rapist is a rapist.
    There's no place like home!

Something I wonder about: the Hollywood celebrities, in particular the men - how many of them are married to women considerably younger than them? Woody Allen, for instance, didn't he marry Mia Farrow's adopted daughter and the whole thing started under shady circumstances? What about Jack Nicholson? It was in his house that the crime took place. I wonder if those men are defending Polanski and thinking "that could have been me".

On another note, Whoopi is backpedalling like crazy....seems the public outcry might be getting to a few celebrity types.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

What has Whoopi been saying regarding this in hindsight?
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Whoopi apparently called into one of the news shows, the one with Meredith Viera and tried to explain herself. She was trying to clarify the "it wasn't actually rape-rape" statement she made, it sounds like she was trying to state the actual legal charge, but bottom line - rape is rape, no matter what term you use.

I think Whoopi has really hurt her public image with this - she's usually a strong advocate for kids, she's made many appearances on Sesame Street, she's written a kid's book about self-esteem of all things and she's been involved with kids and reading for years. I know this has really changed my view of her....and I've always liked her for the most part.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

That's another one of their issues, they can't be quiet about anything.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda;3715421;
    This case is unusal in that the victim of the crime wants the matter dropped and has requested it be dropped several times over the last 30 or so years. While i dont condone what he did and he should have been punished at the time, I now think we need to listen to what the victims wishes are. She has gotten on with her life, is married has kids and does not want to have to relive any of what happened or have her children affected by it. Her life is what will be affected the most if he is brought back. There is no way the media will leave her alone and everyone will want to rehear or will be retelling a story she would like to forget and has been trying to for 30 years. It will be even worse if they decide to retry the case. I think we should be thinking of her and what she wants not what we feel should be done as it wont affect us at all.
    On a purely practical note, exactly how are they going to build a case when the victim is unwilling to participate in the prosecution? I was under the impression it is essential for the victim to want to be involved. Again, being practical - is this a waste of time, money, and energy if this doesn't end up coming to trial, or if they don't have sufficient evidence? I understand the desire for justice and to do the right thing but in a sexual assault case, I can't see a successful prosecution without her wanting to have the perpetrator punished.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread