+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4587Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

...Big Time! At the very least, prosecute the criminal you have while the others are roaming free. "A bird in the hand... yada, yada, yada...."

I'm still shocked at how people think that what he did is no big deal now...I just don't get this mentality. Does the passage of time make what he did any less wrong?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm not saying it's no big deal. I am simply saying we need to live in the present. Spend the money on fixing what we have going on in the here and now. If we apply the law then it needs to be applied equally for men and woman. If its a man then it is rape. When a woman does the same thing it is sex with a child. YMMV. Is there not a statute of limits on this thing or what?

We have terrorist who need to be caught for 911 how about making that a priority.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3714973;
    I'm not saying it's no big deal. I am simply saying we need to live in the present. Spend the money on fixing what we have going on in the here and now. If we apply the law then it needs to be applied equally for men and woman. If its a man then it is rape. When a woman does the same thing it is sex with a child. YMMV. Is there not a statute of limits on this thing or what?

No, there is no statute of limitations because he pled guilty. Statute of limitations is how long you have to prosecute a crime after it is committed. He's already been prosecuted but he fled the country before his sentencing.

I know it may seem like a waste of money to you, but I think criminals should have to serve their time. I think it sets a bad precedent to allow a wealthy criminal to just leave the country long enough for people to forget or not care anymore.

Yes, the law should be equal for both men and women.....Mary Kay served time, Polanski has not.....where's the equality there? Not to mention the charges for drugging the child, fleeing the country.........

Premium Member

I don't care if it was 30 years ago or not, the man committed a crime to which he pled guilty, he drugged and raped a 13 year old and its far past time that he pays for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3714973;

We have terrorist who need to be caught for 911 how about making that a priority.
    There's a huge difference between MK and Polanski. The only reason MK's was rape was because of the age of the boy.(and it is rape no matter the sex of the adult) Polanski continued even though the girl was saying no the whole time. IMO it is rape and only rape.

He pled guilty, he needs to serve his time.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3714655;
    ...Big Time! At the very least, prosecute the criminal you have while the others are roaming free. "A bird in the hand... yada, yada, yada...."

I'm still shocked at how people think that what he did is no big deal now...I just don't get this mentality. Does the passage of time make what he did any less wrong?
    I've always believed that some people don't care until it happens to them. Until that point, it's not important. But when it does, I guess the whole world should stop.

Even if I didn't have a 12 yr old brother to watch out for, I still wouldn't want someone else's 12 yr old going through any of this.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Fort Member

This case is unusal in that the victim of the crime wants the matter dropped and has requested it be dropped several times over the last 30 or so years. While i dont condone what he did and he should have been punished at the time, I now think we need to listen to what the victims wishes are. She has gotten on with her life, is married has kids and does not want to have to relive any of what happened or have her children affected by it. Her life is what will be affected the most if he is brought back. There is no way the media will leave her alone and everyone will want to rehear or will be retelling a story she would like to forget and has been trying to for 30 years. It will be even worse if they decide to retry the case. I think we should be thinking of her and what she wants not what we feel should be done as it wont affect us at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3715378;
    I've always believed that some people don't care until it happens to them. Until that point, it's not important. But when it does, I guess the whole world should stop.

Even if I didn't have a 12 yr old brother to watch out for, I still wouldn't want someone else's 12 yr old going through any of this.
    It has happened to me when I was 14 years old and I survived the rapist was never caught. I was angry and scared but my family's main concern was making sure I survived by getting me counseling and seeing that I not let this stop me from living a very healthy and full filled life.

Do I wish my rapist was caught? Yes but if they found him today it would not at least for me change a thing. I would not feel any better and it would not change the course of my life. It would simply bring forward something I have managed to leave in the past.

I can't imagine spending all of these years looking for vengeance instead of living life to the fullest and surviving which for me was the best revenge in the world.

It probably best not to assume how people would feel about something without knowing their history. YMMV
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Personally, I wouldn't want a system that rewarded people for being rich enough to flee and escape justice. There should be one justice for all, and pardoning someone because a lot of time has passed sends the wrong message, IMO. Also, it is well known that Polanski had an affair with Kinski when she was 15 years old. His proclivities for young girls is well known, and I doubt this was a one time thing. Society/children need to be protected from pedophiles who rarely change their behaviour. The victim received monetary compensation, has moved on with her life, and that's fine. I still feel that there needs to be one law for all people unless we as a society don't mind anarchy, or a justice system for the rich. He basically thumbed his nose at the law. Some may see it as vengeance, but I see it as upholding the laws of a fair and democratic society, and protection from a pedophile. I believe victim's voices should be heard and considered in sentencing, but they cannot decide matters of law.

+ Reply to Thread