+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4746Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I seriously don't care if the victim has forgiven him. That in no way changes or creates an undo button to his actions. He ran away for goodness sake!
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3712977;
    I have mixed feelings about this. THe man was definitely wrong to do what he did. However, it was not exactly a clear cut case of rape at the time.
    I think the LA DA is trying very hard to make a win with this case.

It is and was pretty clear cut that she was 13.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I often wonder what people would think if this kind of thing involved THEIR 13 year old daughter, no matter when it happened.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

You bring up a good point WindDancer, as to why the DA is pressing his case NOW. Surely he's left France any numerous times to other countries that could've extradited him.

I'm wondering if the curent DA isn't up for election.

Now, that doesn't mean I'm excusing him, but it does seem very fishy. They should've gone after him DECADES ago. He could've pressed for his case and concerns back then and be done with the whole shebang.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

JUST IN TIME FOR YOUR CHRISTMAS GIFT GIVING . . . .

(snark)

The Associated Press: Palin finishes memoir, 'Going Rogue,' out Nov. 17

ROGUE . . . . as defined by dictionary.com (wonder which one she meant)

1. a dishonest, knavish person; scoundrel.
    2. a playfully mischievous person; scamp
    3. a tramp or vagabond.
    4. Biology. a usually inferior organism, esp. a plant, varying markedly from the normal.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3713328;
    JUST IN TIME FOR YOUR CHRISTMAS GIFT GIVING . . . .

(snark)

The Associated Press: Palin finishes memoir, 'Going Rogue,' out Nov. 17

ROGUE . . . . as defined by dictionary.com (wonder which one she meant)

1. a dishonest, knavish person; scoundrel.
    2. a playfully mischievous person; scamp
    3. a tramp or vagabond.
    4. Biology. a usually inferior organism, esp. a plant, varying markedly from the normal.
    Don't you have to have done something of value first to write your memoirs?
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

Norality--hi. I'd like to see the original charges described. The charge was Statutory Rape--and all that's needed for that is evidence of sexual activity between an adult and a minor. There are no criteria for "intent" or for "consent." The Statutory Rape laws assume that no child can consent to sexual activity with an adult. Period.

So I'd like to see wht he pled guilty to in the original case.

If I have time tonight I'll look around and see what info on the original charges I can find.

I feel that most of the news outlets are not doing a good job of presenting the legal info about this case.

For example--the only discussion of the legal aspects of the case that I heard today was on the CBS Early Show. No other morning news show did anything but talk about the "shocking" arrest and extradition attempt by the US.

(And the "discussion" on The View was pathetic. It was obvious they had no idea about any of the legal aspects of the case or of the current actions by the US and Switzerland. And quite obvious that they did not know what Statutory Rape is.)
    Last edited by Wind Dancer; 09-28-2009 at 10:07 PM.

I would say becoming Alaska's first female governor IS doing sonething.

[mod edit] (Harrumps a seriously tired of Palin-backlash supporter)
    Last edited by hepcat; 09-29-2009 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3713634;
    Norality--hi. I'd like to see the original charges described. The charge was Statutory Rape--and all that's needed for that is evidence of sexual activity between an adult and a minor. There are no criteria for "intent" or for "consent." The Statutory Rape laws assume that ]no child can consent to sexual activity with an adult. Period.

So I'd like to see wht he pled guilty to in the original case.

If I have time tonight I'll look around and see what info on the original charges I can find.

I feel that most of the news outlets are not doing a good job of presenting the legal info about this case.

For example--the only discussion of the legal aspects of the case that I heard today was on the CBS Early Show. No other morning news show did anything but talk about the "shocking" arrest and extradition attempt by the US.

(And the "discussion" on The View was pathetic. It was obvious they had no idea about any of the legal aspects of the case or of the current actions by the US and Switzerland. And quite obvious that they did not know what Statutory Rape is.)
    I unbolded your bold, to say that I also am curious about that.

I found something online that quotes Samantha giving details, but the details are so horrendous that I don't know if I should post a link to the article.

And if he was just "afraid that the judge would reneg on the plea agreement", that is much different that the judge actually renegging, IMO.

He fled without serving his full sentence (whatever the agreement was), and he spent 30+ years living a life of privilege and freedom in foreign countries, when he should have been serving time in prison and being released as a registered sex offender. That may have precluded him from legally leaving the U.S. for gallivanting around Europe.

I fully support his extradition, even if the L.A. DA is pushing this for his own political goals.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3713636;
    I would say becoming Alaska's first female governor IS doing sonething.

[mod edit](Harrumps a seriously tired of Palin-backlash supporter)
    I am at a loss to why Obama's name was even bought up? I know I didn't mention him. I could of sworn Palin and her "memoirs" was the subject. I'm sure it will be a short read along the lines of those Dick & Jane primers we used to read in preschool.
    Last edited by hepcat; 09-29-2009 at 12:04 PM.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread