+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5195Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

It was rape? I didn't realize that. I thought it was consexual.

In that case, yes, he needs to be brought back for trial.

Thanx for the clarification bt!

Regardless of whether or not it was consensual, she was 13, which is too young to be put in a situation like that with a 44 year old man.

Still, I think this is a complete waste of time. There are much more pressing crimes that the authorities could be spending their time (and our tax dollars) on. The "girl" in question won a settlement from Polanski a number of years ago and has asked that a criminal case not be pursued against him.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

The laws concerning statutory rape assume that children and young people under a certain age cannot consent to a sexual relationship regardless of the circumstances.

I do wonder if there is any statute of limitations that applies in this case. That has been a factor in indicting and convicting the Catholic prists who committed sexual crimes against children.

Do we know what state he is being extradicted to?

I would assume CA, WindDancer, if that's where the incident took place. But I'm not sure. I was only 10 or so when it happened, so I'm reading things that could be heresay or rumors.

The statute of limitations doesn't apply because he pled guilty and then fled the country instead of serving his time. So I think he's technically a fugitive, and that's why he spent most of his time in France and Poland because they wouldn't extradite him to the U.S.

Is it a waste of money to bring him back to the U.S. to serve his time? probably, but I think he's been giving the finger to the justice system for long enough.

The ironic thing is, if he would have done his time 30 years ago, he could have probably been working in Hollywood again relatively quickly after he was released. At that time a sex conviction probably wouldn't have been nearly as controversial as it would be today.

FORT Fogey

Brunette Trixie--Hi--thanks for that info.

Do we know why he is being arrested and extradited now?

ABC "News" had a story on him tonight saying they would tell "why" it was happening now--but they never did say.

The reason Roman Polanski fled this country is that it looked as if the judge or prosecutor in the case was going to renege of the agreed plea deal. Here is a news link: Polanski's arrest could be his path to freedom - Yahoo! News.

Also in the article it explains that the victim in the case has already settled with Polanski in a civil case and is also pleading for the case to be dismissed. I think I also read in another article how she just wants to get on with life, she is in her 40's now.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Bearcata--hi. I understand why he fled--what I haven't heard/read an explanation for is why he is being extradited now after all this time.

FORT Fogey

Okay--CBS Early Shiow had an excellent segment on this situation this morning.

Apparently the DA has been trying to get Polaniski extradited a number of times over the past few years but with no success.

The legal situation is that Polanski lives in France and the US does NOT have an extradition treaty with France for this kind of crime.

However--we DO have an extradition treay with Switzerland for this kind of crime and the US DA issued a warrant giving Switzerland the authority to detain Polanski when he arrived for a meeting.

Also--Polanski is claiming judicial misconduct in his original case and once he is extradited back to the US he will be able to press that case, something he could not do when he was abroad and not in custody.

Should be interesting to watch this unfold as the reason he gave for fleeing the US was that he feared the judge would not honor the plea agreement that Polanski had made with prosecutors on the original case.

I'll keep my eye out for more info on this whole situaion and report anything I find out here.

I have mixed feelings about this. THe man was definitely wrong to do what he did. However, it was not exactly a clear cut case of rape at the time.
    I think the LA DA is trying very hard to make a win with this case.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread