+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 1103 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556961465461046 ... LastLast
Like Tree4617Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;2149178;
    All I have to say is that Michael Richards is a stand-up comic and he should be used to hecklers by now. Hecklers come with the territory. It's part of the game. For him to act like that is totally outrageous.
    Really good comedians can turn the tables on hecklers and turn them into the joke without resorting to slurs.

I wonder if/when he will make his apology media tour, a la Mel Gibson.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;2149523;
    In the press statement Jerry made about this incident, you can tell that he was pissed as hell but was trying to sound civil, and he succeeded.
    I haven't seen the comments by Seinfeld ,but I can imagine he was pissed .Even though Jerry had nothing to do with, Richards outburst Richards tirade reflects on Jerry and the cast. Seinfeld certainly doesn't want the stigma being that he was Richards employer. I'm certain that personally the comments would bother him whether he knew Richards or not. Heck who knows what Seinfelds plans were for doing a reunion show at some point. Advertisers as well as stations carrying the show in syndication are probably a little on edge right now also.

I like Richards on Seinfeld, but he was out of his league doing standup and it showed. I think George Lopez made a good point by saying "The question is you have an actor who is trying to be a comedian who doesn't know what to do when an audience is disruptive," Lopez said. "He's an actor whose show has been off the air, he shouldn't ever be on a stand-up gig."

If the guys hecking him were so out of order with their heckling the bouncers would have tossed them.Problem is I bet the heckers were funnier then him.

Hecking comedians is so common that a comedian who has not been heckled has not truly earned his chops. It's part of the landscape.Two drink minimums plus the admission price and parking, not to mention the drive in L.A ....man you better make a sucka' laugh or get the (bleep)off the stage!!!! Heck if he were in a dive bar in a dive town he'd still have to bring it or get heckled. That's part of the reason why people go to these stand up clubs; you have to earn their respect.

If he plans on doing stand up ..which is not easy...as he can now see, he's going to have to develop a thicker skin,but at 57 with no real stand up expierience he's more then likely not going to make it as a stand up.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Wonder if he was under the influence of any substance? It's no excuse, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Also, I can't imagine him not having any stand-up experience. That's where comedians cut their teeth.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Not everyone needs deodorant. Seriously! My father--who worked both outside and in an office never wore deodorant and never smelled. I inherited that from him--I never use deodorant or perfumes (except on rare occasions) but I always use soap and shampoo and that's what I smell like. Now my brother, he needs deodorant. But there are a lucky few who don't need it. (And no, I'm not delusional! Honest!)

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2149587;
    Really good comedians can turn the tables on hecklers and turn them into the joke without resorting to slurs.
    Exactly. Being heckled is part of the job. As long as they don't threaten you with bodily harm or physically try to harm you, you should put them in place with wit and cleverly picked words...not foul, disgusting language like that. That it came so easily out of his mouth makes me wonder about his true character. Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2149722;
    Also, I can't imagine him not having any stand-up experience. That's where comedians cut their teeth.
    But that's the point that George Lopez was trying to make... Michael Richards is not a comedian.. he's a comedic actor. They are not the same thing.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2149872;
    Not everyone needs deodorant. Seriously! My father--who worked both outside and in an office never wore deodorant and never smelled. I inherited that from him--I never use deodorant or perfumes (except on rare occasions) but I always use soap and shampoo and that's what I smell like. Now my brother, he needs deodorant. But there are a lucky few who don't need it. (And no, I'm not delusional! Honest!)
    You are completely right about that, Lois. Mr. Rattus never wears deodorant and I've only ever caught him in an eye-watering reek once, but that was the day after his eating of an entire garlic laden pizza and I was trapped with him for ten hours of highway driving in a car in July, so not normal circumstances.

Anyhoo, miscellaneous celebrity-wise, I don't like Michael Richards, never have, his over-the-top characters have irritated me in UHF, Air Heads, The Michael Richards Show and, of course, Seinfeld.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;2149523;
    In the press statement Jerry made about this incident, you can tell that he was pissed as hell but was trying to sound civil, and he succeeded.
    Well, Jerry is on Letterman's show tonight, and apparently he was willing to give Richards some of his time to explain himself. My local news talked about it, and so I'm keeping Late Show on to see how it plays out...

EDIT - Richards is live via satellite from California, apologizing and is SO serious and graven-faced that people in the audience are misinterpreting and LAUGHING. They seem to think its some kind of skit or something. Seinfeld had to turn to the audience to tell them it wasn't a joke, and Richards himself almost ended the discussion when he heard the laughing. He's stumbling a lot, then again he's probably looking at the end of his career. He sounds truly sorry, but then again, what other choice does he have at this point?
    Last edited by Krom; 11-21-2006 at 12:05 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2150059;
    He sounds truly sorry, but then again, what other choice does he have at this point?
    None, I expect. How much he (or any other Seinfeld star) actually needs to work to survive financially at this point is questionable, but if he desires to work for whatever reason, a trot around the truly sorry circuit would appear to be a mandatory exercise for him at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2150059;
    Richards is live via satellite from California, apologizing and is SO serious and graven-faced that people in the audience are misinterpreting and LAUGHING. They seem to think its some kind of skit or something. Seinfeld had to turn to the audience to tell them it wasn't a joke, and Richards himself almost ended the discussion when he heard the laughing. He's stumbling a lot, then again he's probably looking at the end of his career.
    I'm not surprised people in the audience were laughing, one doesn't tune in to Letterman expecting seriousness, and every now and then I've seen something portayed as serious turn into calculated buffoonery. They should have primed the audience in advance if they wanted a solemn moment.

Richards appeared to me more than anything else to be totally out of his element on stage, I'd never heard of him being a stand up comic.

Viewing selective portions of his act/rant on ET and the news, I personally figure the audience laughing at with 'upside down with fork in ass' aided his ultimate meltdown. Looked to me like he initially at least thought he was being entertaining before he ultimately lost all control.

Just finished seeing Richards on Letterman, he sure was on the mark wondering whether that was the right venue for discussing the situation, but it served him well overall, I'd say.

Better than overall. I believe anyone with an open mind and heart could hear the truth in what was said. Myself, I consider what happened to be related to the need for safe words in sexual role playing games that can go similarly haywire. Richards says he presses the envelope as he performs, apparently jettisoning control in 'your guess is as good as mine where this'll lead' manner.

This time it bit him on his ass big time. But I believe him when he says he isn't a racist.

Not a knowing racist any more than anyone else that has it steeped into them through our culture. His let it all hang out approach to performance simply enabled a door to open that exists (I believe) in most every mind in some nook or cranny, regardless of how stridently anti-racist one assumes him or herself to be.

I could see myself experiencing a similar meltdown, but I can't see myself using the particular slur he used repeatedly. It dawned on me recently why that is on a thread on a site where many express themselves in that manner (or would if allowed to). Crafting a response to a post, I recollected back to a moment in my early teens when I, engaged in a lopsided altercation with several black youths of similar age used the epitaph that Richards did. The response? Laughter. It was as apparent to them as it was to me that I simply didn't possess the requisite level of heated hatred to convincingly pull off using that particular slur or most others relating to specific race or ethnicity.

I didn't heckle but one time my friend and I went to see Dave Coulier at the Comedy Connection in Boston. (Coulier, for those who don't know, portrayed the silly and funny Joey Gladstone on Full House) We were right up front in front of the stage. Anyway, Dave started his act and in the first 2 minutes of his act, he used the F word. I gasped without realizing he would hear it. (I'm so used to seeing his as cute, adorable Joey that I didn't expect it) He came over to me and said "Yes, Joey says F***" The act was great. And he was a total sweetheart. Too bad the guards at the club weren't. After the act, Dave had agreed to have a picture taken with us just as soon as he changed. So we stood in line at the entrance to the backstage area where the dressing rooms were and the guards wouldn't listen to us. The guy was actually kinda rude about it. He took my program , got me an autograph and shooed us out the door like we were rodents. I was happy to get the autograph but pissed that we didn't get the picture that was promised us. But he was really funny.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I saw his tirade on TMZ's website and it was pretty pathetic. It kind of feeds into the narcissim a lot of these celebrities have...love me, and don't let me know if you don't love me.

I would never heckle anyone on stage--not a polite thing to do. But I know that it's done at stand up comedy shows, at ball games, etc. I've seen opening acts get booed off the stage at concerts (again, booing--not a polite thing to do). But the performers have to be the professionals and just deal with it. What Richards' skit showed was that he's not very fast on his feet when it comes to comebacks. OK, say the "n" word once if you must to get your point across. Then move on. There are so many things he could've said/done that would've gotten his point across and he could've just gone on with his show--there were still people there who were enjoying his act, pre-tirade.

I don't buy that he's not a racist. If you're not a racist, the first thing that pops out of your mouth when a black man says something negative about you isn't the "n" word. It might be moron, jerk, idiot, cretin, etc. Gees--at this point, I think K Fed (Ex) handled the hecklers at his concert better!

There are a ton of good standup comics who regularly input race and uncomfortable racial stereotypes into their acts. They usually don't pick one to lash out their anger at though.

+ Reply to Thread