+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5280Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

FoRTer

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I believe there is great therapy and victory in talking about personal trauma. I also believe that process needs to occur in a safe environment, with trusted therapist/family/friend (even online ones, as evidenced here ) who can give healthy support, as abuse can often leave you unable to guard your heart and protect yourself.

I don't know where in the healing process this woman is. I sincerely hope, as she's putting her story out there in such a public way, marketed for comsumption, that she is doing this as a result of, and not in the midst of, the healing process. But I acknowledge all of this is just my impression, colored by my personality and experiences, and certainly different ways help different people.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3710948;
    I am not saying it did not happen to her, just that does everything have to be made public. Get help, talk to a therapist, not the world.
    ABC's Good Morning America just ran a report that says in part that the websites dedicated to helping those abused by family members (incest victims) have seen a dramatic increase in the number of inquiries this week from people who have been through this but were never able to ask for help before.

One of the groups mentioned has the name RAIN.

Also it was said that the family members trying to deny it happened is a very common occurence--as is the reaction of people who are saying they just don't want to hear about it.

The therapists also say that being able to talk about it is one of the biggest steps towards healing.

I can't imagine what it took for Mackenzie to speak up but she has already helped untold numbers of other survivors begin to take steps to recovery.

For that she has my gratitude.

(I'm sure that ABC will have that report posted on their website by the end of the day at their usual abcnews with a dot com)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3710948;
    I am not saying it did not happen to her, just that does everything have to be made public. Get help, talk to a therapist, not the world.
    captain, I hope that you don't feel like everybody is jumping on you, but a lot of the problem with keeping something like what Mackenzie is bringing forth behind closed doors is that it allows these types of atrocities to proliferate. What she is doing can show people that they are not the only people to whom these things may have happened. They are not alone. Knowledge is power. I want people to scream it from the rooftops. TELL. You can't worry about the people who want you to keep it out of the public eye, because those people certainly aren't worrried about YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;3711000;
    My motto is: "To forgive is to set a prisoner free. It is then you learn that the prisoner was you."
    I collect quotes that really "speak" to me in a significant way, and I work them into the fabric of my everyday life. YOU just added to my fabric, and I thank you. Just WoW...and thank you!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I hope it's okay to post this--

Here is a link to the GMA report called "Mackenzie Phillips' Confession Spurs Other Incest Victims To Ask for Help"

Mackenzie Phillips' Confession Spurs Other Incest Victims to Ask for Help - ABC News

FORT Fogey

AZChristian says--

""To forgive is to set a prisoner free. It is then you learn that the prisoner was you."

I found this to be true when someone did something that caused me to lose something very important to me. I found out that forgiving them helped free me from having to expend energy on all those negative thoughts and emotions that I'd been expending on them and their deed.

To this day some people cannot understand how I could forgive the person--but I don't really try to explain except to say something like what you said--only you said it much better.

I can't imagine how it must feel to be a target for incest but I do know from watching what my friend went through that coming out and speaking out and forgiving is so healing--if it is possible to do.

I've found that each person handles the major events in their life the way that works best for them. I would never say that all incest survivors "must" speak out--but I would never say that they must keep silent just because hearing their experiences makes me and many others uncomfortable.

AZChristian--thank you for all you are contributing to this thread--and especially to how people can come to some understanding of what this kind of experience means in a person's life--and what they can do to survive it.

Sending good thoughts for you--and for all who have lived through something like this.

AZChristian and imissme, thank you both for sharing your stories. I am so sorry that you were abused by someone who should have been protecting you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3710564;
    And the victim of the abuse is always at a disadvantage since most people refuse to believe that anyone they know/love/ made such beautiful music etc could possibly have "done something like that."

All the more reason to believe her--don't we think she knew in advance how her revelatioins about her father would be received by his fans?
    Hi, Wind.
    I actually feel the allegations may have merit.
    My objection, though, is still to the forum / timing of said allegations - i.e., to sell a book and remastered recordings.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I would just like to point out something about the various posts on here. In my original post on the subject, I indicated that I had an abusive childhood without going into detail. AZChristian and imissme went into somewhat more detail about their childhoods. My post was essentially ignored, the other two have inspired conversation. This in itself should be indication enough that abuse victims should shine the light on their experiences and let the world know, because this is a subject that should not be avoided, ignored, swept under the rug. The more people are made aware of these things, they more they think about these things and the more attention they'll pay to what's going on around them, with the neighbours, with their kid's friends and, unfortunately, in their own families.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have less concern about where, when, or why something is told; it's just important that it IS told.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Why did she not tell it 10 years ago, then, when she told Chynna about it?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread