+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4741Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Years ago, before this latest revelation, she came out with stories timed for a comeback. That time, it was how she did drugs during her pregnancy and it was only with God's help that her child was born perfectly healthy. You can read that a few different ways, but she came off without humility; God favored her and protected her child even when she was acting stupidly. She was clean at the time of the article, but who knows, really? Having known too many women lose a pregnancy or do everything right and still lose a child, her attitude is really maddening.

She should be telling a therapist, period.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3710409;
    And the new album? I'm a music lover of many genres, but I really don't want to listen to incestuous music. "Here's the music that my father and I made while we were having a consensual sexual relationship for years, and I want you to buy it".
    No kidding. I also fail to see how the release of such material would be "healing" for her.

Something was really off about that whole Oprah appearance yesterday. Let's just say my s*&! detector was going off like gangbusters. At any rate, if she does make any money off this story, I hope she uses it to hire a new and better therapist.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Premium Member

^Definitely a better therapist, that tells Mackenzie not to go on anymore talk shows either. Ugh enough already.

Michelle Phillips is saying that it isn't true. She acknowledges John's extreme drug abuse and that he was definitely not a good father, but she also said that Mackenzie is mentally ill. I've been thinking that, too, and if true, I hope that she gets help yesterday, and ditto on the addiction issues.

I would be more likely to believe Mackenzie if she had taken less moneymaking approaches to raise awareness of this important issue. Psychological counseling, getting involved with directly helping others with similar experiences, sharing about how she worked through it and/or is still working through it, stepping up to be a "poster child" for it (for free), but no, a book and *that* album and Oprah .
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3710509;
    No kidding. I also fail to see how the release of such material would be "healing" for her.
    Something was really off about that whole Oprah appearance yesterday. Let's just say my s*&! detector was going off like gangbusters. At any rate, if she does make any money off this story, I hope she uses it to hire a new and better therapist.

It's kind of hard to explain if you haven't watched someone go through this just how healing and helpful it is to finally be able to just talk about it freely and publicly--especially when so many people are trying to deny it happened.

Or--as in MacKenzie's case and in the case of my friend--people are busy trying to protect the abuser at the expense of the victim.

So much of this situation--including the reactions of the family and the ex-wife etc are so similar to how my friend's revelations were greeted that I am replaying the many times I sat with her while she had flashbacks to the times she was abused.

I can't tell you how frightening and dismaying it is to hear an adult friend revert to the language and helplessness of childhood.....

I was talking about the album, not the book. The whole concept of it, in light of these revelations, is in incredibly bad taste.

ETA: I don't know how invested anyone is in protecting John Phillips, anyway. It's well known he was a badass and a crappy father and Michelle Phillips doesn't even deny it.
    Last edited by AJane; 09-24-2009 at 05:41 PM.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Making money is the American way. I think we should also keep in mind that long-term drug use makes chemical AND physical changes to the brain....her father's brain and her brain. I understand how it can be hard to make sense of things that make no sense to most people.

It is also not unusual for the abused to protect their abusers for years and years.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3710537;
    I was talking about the album, not the book. The whole concept of it, in light of these revelations, is in incredibly bad taste.
    It reminds me of the release of Charles Manson's music, after the murders.

Yes, the alleged circumstances are very different, but this is my reaction.

Now, if Mackenzie (if she has the rights) released that album and the proceeds went to "the cause", I would feel differently. But I haven't taken the time to look into it, nor will I.

Chynna Phillips will be on Oprah soon.

I guess it all comes down to "who do you believe?".
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Chynna will be on there tomorrow.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3710544;
    It reminds me of the release of Charles Manson's music, after the murders.

Yes, the alleged circumstances are very different, but this is my reaction.

Now, if Mackenzie (if she has the rights) released that album and the proceeds went to "the cause", I would feel differently. But I haven't taken the time to look into it, nor will I.

Chynna Phillips will be on Oprah soon.

I guess it all comes down to "who do you believe?".
    And the victim of the abuse is always at a disadvantage since most people refuse to believe that anyone they know/love/ made such beautiful music etc could possibly have "done something like that."

All the more reason to believe her--don't we think she knew in advance how her revelatioins about her father would be received by his fans?

+ Reply to Thread