+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4818Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I feel bad for her, she has clearly not had it easy.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3710118;
    I feel bad for her, she has clearly not had it easy.
    She didn't have it easy, you're right. HOWEVER, at what point does an adult have to take responsibility for themselves? I hate this whole victim mentality that allows grown adults in their fifties and older to still blame their crappy childhood for everything and use it as an excuse for current problems. At a certain point, it's time to move on and get on with it. I know plenty of people who had very rough childhoods who aren't playing victim now.

I really did not need to see the headlines about MacKenzie having sex with her father plastered all over every online news source. It's not something I want to know about, nor should I know about it. I heard somewhere that she said something like "Someone needs to stand up and be the face of consensual incest." Ummm....no they don't. Please. It may very well be a problem, but like someone upthread said, it should be discussed privately with a therapist and not with Oprah.

For me, this is just more evidence of how low Oprah has fallen, Her ratings are down, so she's putting this junk on the air.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3710069;
    Mackenzie Phillips was on Oprah today. That woman is one hot mess. Oprah looked incredulous at the revelations and wasn't terribly sympathetic either. The interview was very strange...and after sitting through the entire hour, I'm not convinced she's kicked her habit. She was very jittery, skittish, and clearly has not found inner peace by disclosing the details of her relationship with her father. Which makes me wonder, why publish such an intensely personal memoir except to make a few bucks? The whole show left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.
    I totally agree with you. Also, when she tried to make her "seduction" by Mick Jagger come off as something humorous, I just about gagged. The audience kind of laughed, but it was nervous laughter, IMO.

FORT Fogey

It is so hard to label everyone that has problems from childhood as victims. We are foster parents and have seen some children progress fine, and some not. Their therapist says that some people can work around issues and be fine, and some no matter how hard they want to will suffer throughout their lives. She says it is all about how the adults deal with it around them, how they talk to them, how they are treated, whether drugs were involved in the womb, ect. We all want to say that as adults we should just move on, but it is extremely difficult for some people to move on. If your own father has intercourse with you, that would be extremely difficult to get over, and she has kept it secret forever and has tried to move on, but is obviously in need of some extreme help.

We adopted twins a boy and a girl who we got at four and they are now eight. The boy is extremely outgoing, affectionate, ect while the girl is more withdrawn to outsiders of the family. They have had the exact same experiences, but she suffers a lot more than her brother. They lived in 17 homes prior to us adopting them and our son attached right away, and our daughter took years, and is still coping and may into adulthood. Noone has a perfect life, and everyone has tragedies, and we all deal and get over them differently.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;3710239;
    ...We all want to say that as adults we should just move on, but it is extremely difficult for some people to move on.
    ...Noone has a perfect life, and everyone has tragedies, and we all deal and get over them differently.
    Absolutely. Perhaps because I had a less than idyllic childhood (the standard assortment of abuses - physical, mental, emotional and sexual) who has "gotten on with it", I can actually empathize with those who can't "get on with it". Not everyone is born with the same fortitude that will allow them to heal themselves and become the upright and undisturbing citizen they ought to be.

On the other hand, I am absolutely not a people person and have little to no interest in associating with anyone other than my husband, and am generally conceded to be rather odd by the 905ers (our equivalent to the bridge-and-tunnel set), so perhaps I have not "gotten on with it" quite as well as I should have.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3710166;
    She didn't have it easy, you're right. HOWEVER, at what point does an adult have to take responsibility for themselves? I hate this whole victim mentality that allows grown adults in their fifties and older to still blame their crappy childhood for everything and use it as an excuse for current problems. At a certain point, it's time to move on and get on with it. I know plenty of people who had very rough childhoods who aren't playing victim now.
    I agree 100%. I run into so many people that would rather blame others for their actions than take responsibility.

I also agree with ajane. I wouldn't be surprised if she were still on drugs. It wasn't too long ago she was arrested for them after years of being clean.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am floored by the lack of compassion...OK, maybe I'm not. This life situation did not happen overnight, and it won't go away overnight. Some people make it sound like it's so easy to "just move on", and maybe it is for some, but not for all. People have had to endure all kinds of situations that you can't begin to imagine. I think that you should just be glad and grateful that it is not you. Maybe they can't get on your timetable for "getting over it", but I'm guessing that most are doing the best that they can.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3709773;
    It's interesting that she waited until years after his death to release this info, and via book ($$$).

Although, on the former, maybe that's understandable if it is true.

And if it is true, I guess it explains a lot about her life. I'm thinking that whether it is true or not, she is still making bad choices.

I wonder who is getting his royalties now, and who owns the various music catalogs? Granted, there probably isn't much still coming in (compared to "bigger" musicians who have passed on or sold their rights).

An album featuring previously unreleased material by John Phillips and his daughter Mackenzie will be released at the beginning of next year, according to attorney Jeffrey A. Greenberg, who represents John Phillipsí estate.

John and Mackenzie Phillips exclusive: Unreleased musical collaboration to come out next year | EW.com

Not too many generations ago, when children of abuse tried to talk to a parent/trusted adult, they might have their revelation met with repulsion, and possibly be told "I don't want to hear about that; never mention it again." I'm trying to keep that in mind with my reaction to this story, but I'll admit that I'm having trouble seeing the healthy benefits of such a marketed public disclosure.
    remember to play

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Maybe it's not healthy for anybody except the victim? Financial benefits? She has to earn a living, too.

By the way, my previous post was not meant to be directed at any individual. I meant 'you' in the collective sense...myself, included. I hope I was not misunderstood.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread